downsides of a remap

Hi

My last furby was remapped but didnt have it long enough to see any of the downsides.

Im wondering if someone could summarise the benefits (obviously the power is one) as well as the downsides of a fabia vrs remap?

Thanks

Ben

The car is a 07 vrs.

If you get a conservative map, then there really are no downsides

More power/torque, better fuel consumption etc

If you have the map torque limited, the turbo wont be running at full chat, the clutch will last longer as you arent asking nearly 300lbft from a standard clutch

Mine was mapped to 160bhp/275lbft, and was still quick enough to put a smile on my face, even after 2 1/2 years ;)

Don't forget to check with your insurer - some will be fine, some will add a premium for modifying the car, others might cancel it the minute you modify it (this has happened to some people I know over on teh MX-5 forum)

It will wear the car out quicker.

The brakes, the turbo, tyres, Flywheel, clutch etc all will suffer meaning they will wear and fail quicker.

Good excuse to upgrade but ultimately you need to be aware that the cost of a remap doesn't stop at paying the tuner.

If you get a conservative map, then there really are no downsides

More power/torque, better fuel consumption etc

If you get more power, more torque, better fuel consumption and there are no downsides then it makes you wonder why Skoda don't spec. new cars this way............or am I missing something?

Bob.

I think the only downsides are depending on your driving style and map, will put more strain on the clutch and DMF which can wear out faster due to the extra torque. After it's mapped, you should inform your insurance company who may increase your premium and possibly your excess. :thumbdown:

On the upside, you will get more Power (30-40 BHP more) and more Torque. If you drive it sensibly you will get more MPG. :thumbup::D

If you get more power, more torque, better fuel consumption and there are no downsides then it makes you wonder why Skoda don't spec. new cars this way............or am I missing something?Bob.

Instead of having to tune car for every single country, emissions-wise, they only have a few maps. Generally, North America, Japanese markets, European markets and ROW (rest of world) instead of a different tune for every single country.

Saves manufacturers a fortune in development costs doing it that way...

I look at a remap as part of a package of general car improvement, so would never consider it on its own anyway. But what's said above does need considering - with regards brakes, suspension and clutch/flywheel.

Personally I wouldn't particularly want or enjoy a Fab vRS in standard spec with a remap on it.

So with that put to one side, the only disadvantage in my book is the insurance issue :'(

Steve

PROS

more power, more fun

possible fuel economy gains

"surprise" element

CONS

insurance premiums

dealer ecu updates might wipe it

clutch / DMF wear issues

more speeding tickets? ;)

That's pretty much it - everything else is largely comparable as long as you still treat the car right. Front brakes are adequate for 170bhp, compared to 135ish.

Cheers guys,

In terms of insurance its not really an issue, spoke to my insurer when i was thinking about it last time and were talking an extra few quid a month so nothing serious there. The biggest issue i see is the DMF. How much are these things? what kind of millage do they normally fail at and what impact in terms of milage failure would a remap have?

Thanks

Ben

All depends on how you drive and treat it. There's been cars with remaps on here for 100+K, with original DMFs.

Let the turbo spool up and *then* use it - that's the main thing to remember :thumbup:

Cheers guys,

In terms of insurance its not really an issue, spoke to my insurer when i was thinking about it last time and were talking an extra few quid a month so nothing serious there. The biggest issue i see is the DMF. How much are these things? what kind of millage do they normally fail at and what impact in terms of milage failure would a remap have?

Thanks

Ben

You can get a full clutch kit including DMF for £289 these days.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=527

I would some up the pros. & cons. as Apart from the usual benefits above, a smoother and quieter engine. Only con. is more all round wear and shortened lifespan of engine and supension, however if the extra oomph is rarely used then, no problem. Oh, I forgot tyres, they don't last long.

I would some up the pros. & cons. as Apart from the usual benefits above, a smoother and quieter engine. Only con. is more all round wear and shortened lifespan of engine and supension, however if the extra oomph is rarely used then, no problem. Oh, I forgot tyres, they don't last long.

Yeh my last furby vrs used to eat rubber. I must get round to trying to remember the reg to see if any of your guys own it. VE06 something and it was red with heated seats. I'll have to seriously consider it in the summer. The torque of standard does make me smile but i do miss the extra grunt. Oh just out of interest what power gains did you guys tell the man from the insurance company?

Edited by benwiddowson