Honest Johns take on ESP problems

Further info : has there been an update to these teves units mk60, as another person has a 2011skoda octavia 4x4 model with mk60 (ec1) (seems like the same unit as the yeti but nevertheless the same mk60 (with esp) - was it a batch fault over time with these units ? As they are still going in cars.

By the way my knowledge on all this is limited as I do not part numbers have got something to do with this too. - Any advice will be helpfull.

Thanks

Out of Interest anyone had any joy with the cost on older cars? I've an 06 140 elegance estate which has just developed the same problem. I took it to the dealer I purchased it from (new) and told them but the service manager looked blank when I told him it was a known issue. Always serviced but admittedly last 2-3 independently. I don't hold out for much joy to be honest especially as I told him I wanted to look at replacing it with a suberb estate and then waited like a lemon for 15 mins whilst the sales team carried on with their paperwork. I guess skoda must sell too many cars to find the current economic climate too challenging to help further sales!

Further info : has there been an update to these teves units mk60, as another person has a 2011skoda octavia 4x4 model with mk60 (ec1) (seems like the same unit as the yeti but nevertheless the same mk60 (with esp) - was it a batch fault over time with these units ? As they are still going in cars.

By the way my knowledge on all this is limited as I do not part numbers have got something to do with this too. - Any advice will be helpfull.

Thanks

According to the firm who fix them (and the sheer number of them failing across multiple car makes) its a design fault rather than a faulty batch, but its not clear if the makers have modified since.

I'm sure I saw a post on here a couple of years ago saying the stock of spare units at the dealers had been withdrawn and replaced with new stock, but even if I'm correct that doesn't really prove the point.

• 3 months later...

On 'Don't get Done Get Dom' this morning VW have agreed to replace free and repay previous repair costs. Seems like familiar solution to injector problem of past.

On 'Don't get Done Get Dom' this morning VW have agreed to replace free and repay previous repair costs. Seems like familiar solution to injector problem of past.

Can't watch it at work, but am assuming it's this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01glr6j/Dont_Get_Done_Get_Dom_Series_6_Volkswagen/ ?

Great that it's got such recognition now, wonder if it'll extend right across the VAG range though...?

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i'd share my thoughts on this issue. The ESP light came on last Autumn and had a quote from my dealer. At the time I didn't have the money to get it done. Came home, checked Briskoda and bingo, I wasn't alone. And after more research found out it wasn't exclusive to Skoda but other owners of other VAG group cars.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have spent the last 4 months toing and frowing with dealer over this and SkodaUK offered a 20% contribution towards the bill, which I wasn't happy with.

After seeing the 'Don't Get Done' BBC programme regarding VW and the identical problems on the Golf, I sent yet another email to my dealer contact and linked all the info from the programme and what VW were doing for owners and insisted on a 100% contribution from SkodaUK.

Well, finally, today, I got the news that SkodaUK will foot the bill and so they should. My car is an 06 plate (less than 50000 miles), full skoda dealer service history so everything followed to the letter.

So, for those in a similar position, stick to your guns.

• Like 1

Work done and everything seems fine. Interestingly, it was done under 'warranty'.

Great result for an 06 car, gives me hope if/when mine goes!

Did it take much more persuading?

Great result for an 06 car, gives me hope if/when mine goes!

Did it take much more persuading?

A little Chris. I wasn't happy with the 20% offered by SkodaUK and had to keep on emailing my contact at dealer who in all honesty was brilliant. I, after seeing the piece on the tv with the VW Golf,I did insist on a 100% contribution, but wasn't sure i'd get it. If dealer had come back and said that Skoda had said no, I would have pursued the matter further on the evidence that is out there, Personally, I can't believe that any of the VAG group can refuse this unless they can prove its not down to a faulty part.

Good luck to everyone.

My wife drives a 2005 VW Touran which we have owned from new. It had the ESP issue at 3 years and 4 mths. VW paid 50% leaving me to pay the remaining £570. This was way back in December 2009 !. After reading the later posts on this thread I thought I would speak to VW customer service about a refund. Well today they have confirmed that they will be sending me a cheque for the £570. Now my wife finally understands why I must read all the posts on Briskoda everynight !!

• Like 1

My wife drives a 2005 VW Touran which we have owned from new. It had the ESP issue at 3 years and 4 mths. VW paid 50% leaving me to pay the remaining £570. This was way back in December 2009 !. After reading the later posts on this thread I thought I would speak to VW customer service about a refund. Well today they have confirmed that they will be sending me a cheque for the £570. Now my wife finally understands why I must read all the posts on Briskoda everynight !!

Glad to hear it. I think the way people have been fobbed off with this issue for what seems like years is nothing short of shocking. Should have been a recall ages ago.

• 1 year later...

I have got the same unit on my 2006 Honda Accord and it has failed at 170,000 miles.  Partly the reason I have bought the Superb (plus needed more legroom for teenagers) is to take Honda off the road whilst unit is sent away for repair, then flog it. A firm called ecu testing are repairing it for about £200.  It was a pig of a job removing it, but hopefuelly easier to refit.