Central Locking problems?

Maybe im being a bit thick as ive not seen the inside of a mk2 door..yet..

But im pretty sure you cut out / remove more of that metal plate into the corner where the mechanism is. 

It will give you more access to the side of the mechanism to get in.

9 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Maybe im being a bit thick as ive not seen the inside of a mk2 door..yet..

But im pretty sure you cut out / remove more of that metal plate into the corner where the mechanism is. 

It will give you more access to the side of the mechanism to get in.

Appreciate your reply’s fella , could you direct me to what I need to try to make move to unlock it ?  I guess it’s not the end where the plug goes onto it , I kind of have enough access to get my hand in there but just don’t have a clue what I am supposed to be trying to do to the actuator to make it unlock , 

i can see the motor under the plastic I broke off but not much else , 

i am at end of me tether with the thing , wish I knew how to unlock it 

1 minute ago, alesypalsy said:

Appreciate your reply’s fella , could you direct me to what I need to try to make move to unlock it ?  I guess it’s not the end where the plug goes onto it , I kind of have enough access to get my hand in there but just don’t have a clue what I am supposed to be trying to do to the actuator to make it unlock , 

i can see the motor under the plastic I broke off but not much else , 

i am at end of me tether with the thing , wish I knew how to unlock it 

Right, once you have exposed enough the innards of the mechanism, there a gear setup from the motor to a large cog that spins a "bolt" that bolt slides the dead lock out into postion and also rotates the locking levers.

It is spring loaded to want to stay out.

So, you need to get 2 narrow allen keys into the mechanism. 

One to turn the cog, and thus the bolt, and the other to hold it in place while you reset the turning one. I cant remember which way it turns, but you know pretty quick. Turn it one way a bit, and let it go, if it springs back, thats the correct way.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Right, once you have exposed enough the innards of the mechanism, there a gear setup from the motor to a large cog that spins a "bolt" that bolt slides the dead lock out into postion and also rotates the locking levers.

It is spring loaded to want to stay out.

So, you need to get 2 narrow allen keys into the mechanism. 

One to turn the cog, and thus the bolt, and the other to hold it in place while you reset the turning one. I cant remember which way it turns, but you know pretty quick. Turn it one way a bit, and let it go, if it springs back, thats the correct way.

thanks Mac,,, I dont think this will be physically possible for me with one hand, even if I had bigger accesss,, where the darn thing is would only allow one hand to the actuator so I'm pretty stumped !

Hey @Mac11irl any idea if this module would be the same on the mk2 ?   it certainly is not on the new replacement that has arrived,, as I may be able to get that one crew off from inside there ,   its at 3 min 40 seconds where he shows a good way to release it!

I have no idea if its the same mechanism tbh .

Post a pic of the new module and part number, and its easy find out.

I really still think you need to remove more of the metal though.. your gonna need the room to work anyway when you get it open to remove the module.

Horrraaaayyyy,,,, thanks to you guys advice here, I managed to turn the cog with my finger and it unlocked the door, finally 

well now I have a loose cable from door handle, how can I reconnect that? Does the door handle outside need to come off?  I not sure where it connects to on the new unit? 

Also so I have plugged the new unit into the wires and there doesn’t seem to be any life in it!  

I’m going to check the door that have now opened where it connects to the chassis , but it deffo has life before as the lock in this door used to click 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Haha 1

Thanks for the diagram nige, any idea what screw driver that is that I am supposed to put in that hole?  

The trouble I am having is the cable is connected to outer door handle and I cannot connect it to the switch , I believe is should go over the hook , no idea how it came off and I can’t seem to get this outside handle off  as I don’t know how and the diagram doesn’t tell me why screw driver I need , the hole is to small to see what is at the end and after trying a few I am bit lost 

Ok I am totally confused guys and girls ,

i thought I would put the interior panel back on and worry about exterior handle connection over weekend , 

so I got as far as connecting interior stuff back up and thought would test before I put panel back on so I locked car doors can hear everything working with new acuator,  but the door will not open again!!! It was opening with the interiors cable until I locked it!  

I unlock it and the acuator unlocks as I can hear it , but the door will now not unlock again!!! Omg I’m pulling my hair out here 

what on earth is it?  

Do I need to try from outside by connecting the cable to the lock ?  

Other side is fine I am baffeled again and fed up big time 

Next time you do ant testing dont close the door just rotate the claw on the latch with a screwdriver or whatever as closing the door would, when you unlock you will need to move it back.

53 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@alesypalsy - Well, my first thought is "Do you have the child lock  set?"

Thought this myself, but it was opening from closed until I locked it,   I tried other door with child lock on and it wont open even if unlocked so no idea ,, the problem must be in new part

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Next time you do ant testing dont close the door just rotate the claw on the latch with a screwdriver or whatever as closing the door would, when you unlock you will need to move it back.

I kind of did but obviously not enough, I used to cable to open close the door,, I tested the new actuator by plugging it in , but I did not lock it and open after until door already closed! 

nightmare

Aw dude... never reassemble anything until you know it all works :D

Right, your issue with the door not opening again is probably linked to the outer cable being disconnected. The pressures on the cables are very sensitive... you have the old one at least to play with a little. If you have the inner cable connected and you can get something to apply pressure on the puller for the outer handle you can probably fiddle the handles to get it to pop.

3 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Aw dude... never reassemble anything until you know it all works :D

Right, your issue with the door not opening again is probably linked to the outer cable being disconnected. The pressures on the cables are very sensitive... you have the old one at least to play with a little. If you have the inner cable connected and you can get something to apply pressure on the puller for the outer handle you can probably fiddle the handles to get it to pop.

unreal isn't it, the lock worked until I locked the door!  it even reads as unlocked on the vcds , seems to be the catch on the door since I locked/unlocked, completely pulling hair out now, 

in regards to the part of lock that the outside handle operates I was pushing it to the open position with a screw driver while my wife pulled the handle to give it clearance while at same time pulling the inner cable for inside lock!     at one point I was trying to do this alone and at same time using my chin to press the remote button !lol 

kind of disheartened with it now and not sure what way to turn ,, it would be very very difficult to butcher the new actuator as it pretty strong 

appreciate the reply here, kind of keeps me sane 

thanks

Ok can someone please explain to me how I am supposed to connect the outer handle cable to the hook (top silver) 

i am going to try the both cables connected to see if can get lock to pop , if not it’s going to have to be another demolition of lock which will be bad news as I have terrible headache an stress  from this now 

37A54E77-09AE-42A4-85E2-985977A862BF.jpeg

619173A5-3EC2-4706-9AF6-CA1A0D24B0C0.jpeg

Ok I managed with continual tap with hammer to the new lock to hear the mechaniasm move which released the lock! so I managed to open the door,, what a relief! 

So I shall now buy I used genuine part rather then new Chinese part, 

Does anyone know if it possible to connect that handle cable from the inside panel or does the handle need to be removed?  the cable is already connected to the handle part it is the cable tot mechanism that needs to be connected and how to do that I was fiddling with it for over an hour and could not get it to connect (blind with one hand in confined space!) 

If I need to remove the handle can I put the interior back together to connect it?  

I am a lot happier :)

The chinese are perfectly fine.. you just need to be careful setting the cables and dont bloody close the door until everything works perfectly.

Use a screwdriver to push the latch to simulate the body hook. 

Honestly, you can spend 5times as much on a genuine vag one and end up doing the exact same thing to it as happened you yesterday. 

Patience is key... dont f'ing put ANYTHING back together until its finished... fully :D

from memory (in a mk1..) its was easier hook the cables on the lock and feed it through to the outside.. dont need to remove the handle, just the back end covered part (needed to be off to remove lock mech anyway i think?)

Just to update, I finally sorted it, used original door mech turned up from eBay , fitted in about 10 mins then all back together after testing many many times! 

Connected exterior door handle and all good , 

thunbs up