Towbar costs again

Terfyn

Just got an Indespension quote@

A detachable tow-bar

For the sum of £ 405 including vat

With a dedicated wiring kit for 13pin

For the sum of £200 including vat = £605

You would need to speak to your local Skoda dealer to supply you a Removal skirt panel.

You may also need to get the Skoda dealer to test the programmed electrics after the dedicated kit has been fitted

tom

Hopefully I am finally getting to the bottom of tow bar costs and what you get for the price.I pick up my Yeti on Friday 7th May next, I ordered it with tow bar prep (£150) which I have now found out from the dealer that towbar prep includes 13 pin electrics wired to a connector behind the nearside panel in the boot. The removable panel in the bumper. Reversing sensors programmed "off" when a trailer elec plug is connected. Trailer stability programme (TSA) activated via the ECU when a trailer elec plug is connected. The dealer quoted me £720.00 for fitting the detachable towbar and 13pin socket but indicated that no further programming of the ECU is required. I have deduced from the above that I can now either fit a Westfalia towbar assembly myself or direct a third party to fit a towbar using the towbar prep connection for the electrics and everything that should operate, will operate. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Pit-Yaka

Hopefully I am finally getting to the bottom of tow bar costs and what you get for the price.I pick up my Yeti on Friday 7th May next, I ordered it with tow bar prep (£150) which I have now found out from the dealer that towbar prep includes 13 pin electrics wired to a connector behind the nearside panel in the boot. The removable panel in the bumper. Reversing sensors programmed "off" when a trailer elec plug is connected. Trailer stability programme (TSA) activated via the ECU when a trailer elec plug is connected. The dealer quoted me £720.00 for fitting the detachable towbar and 13pin socket but indicated that no further programming of the ECU is required. I have deduced from the above that I can now either fit a Westfalia towbar assembly myself or direct a third party to fit a towbar using the towbar prep connection for the electrics and everything that should operate, will operate. Fingers crossed.

Well done for persevering and sorting out what the £150 tow bar prep includes.

How can the dealer justify £720 to fit a tow bar and electrics when the connector is already there.

They seem to pull these prices out of a hat! :o

Let's know how you get on!

Edited by fuzzybunny

Getting my done at rainworth skoda 420 all in,thanks to Dave. ;)

Thor

I think there are possibly a few people on this forum for whom this price is about right. I would certainly be willing to travel from Suffolk.

Can you help with some detail?

1. Did your car have factory installed towbar prep?

2. What electrics does it include 7 pin, dual, or 13 pin?

3, Does it include the removable panel?

edit 4 Fixed or removable towbar?

Lastly, is Dave someone at Rainworth or someone on this forum?

thanks

tom

tom

Edited by Sanqhar

Thor

I think there are possibly a few people on this forum for whom this price is about right. I would certainly be willing to travel from Suffolk.

Can you help with some detail?

1. Did your car have factory installed towbar prep?

2. What electrics does it include 7 pin, dual, or 13 pin?

3, Does it include the removable panel?

edit 4 Fixed or removable towbar?

Lastly, is Dave someone at Rainworth or someone on this forum?

thanks

tom

tom

I had phoned around all skoda dealers and was getting prices from £750 and when i phoned Rainworth skoda nottingham and told Dave the chap that fits the towbars he said he would do the fitting all in for £ 420 detachable for my caravan,hope this helps.

Getting my done at rainworth skoda 420 all in,thanks to Dave. emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Hi Thor,

Sorry for delayed response, travelling with work.

I was going to confirm that I had mine done at Rainworth for £412, but it was the first Yeti they had fitted a towbar to, so maybe had learned of 'issues' and had to adjust their costs.

Pleased it has all worked out well for you.

Tony

I've been following this thread since before I purchased my Yeti which I collected from Rainworth on the 5th May. They quoted me £700 for a removable towbar and basically they were saying it's cheaper to get the job done by a third party. To me this suggest that they have discovered the "real" cost involved in fitting these things the hard way and really didn't want the job! Even from them I could not get clear advice as to the correct way of connecting the wiring.

In the end I have booked a Witter appointed mobile fitter. Fortunately I have used him before to fit a Touran bar about 5 years ago. It was a fairly big job then but he did use the correct connecting block which I recall linked somewhere in the rear lighting cluster where a relay block was involved. The work was trouble free in the years we had the car. The fitter is coming next week and has quoted me £405 for a Witter removable bar fitted (slightly more for a 13 pin version which I don't need). Rainworth provided me with the bumper cutout cover FOC as part of the deal.

Given the cars a fairly new model I feel the price is acceptable.

Thinking about it just now I sensed the salesman was a little embarrassed at the prices being asked but not surprising really when you see the "Audi" inspired aspirational hitech showroom!

I'll post further info as and when the jobs's been completed.

I've been following this thread since before I purchased my Yeti which I collected from Rainworth on the 5th May. They quoted me £700 for a removable towbar and basically they were saying it's cheaper to get the job done by a third party. To me this suggest that they have discovered the "real" cost involved in fitting these things the hard way and really didn't want the job! Even from them I could not get clear advice as to the correct way of connecting the wiring.

In the end I have booked a Witter appointed mobile fitter. Fortunately I have used him before to fit a Touran bar about 5 years ago. It was a fairly big job then but he did use the correct connecting block which I recall linked somewhere in the rear lighting cluster where a relay block was involved. The work was trouble free in the years we had the car. The fitter is coming next week and has quoted me £405 for a Witter removable bar fitted (slightly more for a 13 pin version which I don't need). Rainworth provided me with the bumper cutout cover FOC as part of the deal.

Given the cars a fairly new model I feel the price is acceptable.

Thinking about it just now I sensed the salesman was a little embarrassed at the prices being asked but not surprising really when you see the "Audi" inspired aspirational hitech showroom!

I'll post further info as and when the jobs's been completed.

Hi have you bought the towbar and you are getting a mobile fitter to fit your towbar,lets know his telephone number,as i am in widnes.

PF Jones in Manchester gave me a good price for a fixed and removable towbar for the Yeti. Here's their number. 0161 886 5798.

Brian.

I assume you are talking about a Yeti towbar. I've been shopping around as I don't need the fix for a few months and I've opened an email from PF Jones only minutes ago and they advised that I purchase from them the Yeti wiring harness and towing socket for £186.00 plus towbar and shipping for a total of £403.00 and thats just for the bits. I haven't asked what the fitting would be as I was doing that myself so I'd be interested what they actually quoted you and what for.

I assume you are talking about a Yeti towbar. I've been shopping around as I don't need the fix for a few months and I've opened an email from PF Jones only minutes ago and they advised that I purchase from them the Yeti wiring harness and towing socket for £186.00 plus towbar and shipping for a total of £403.00 and thats just for the bits. I haven't asked what the fitting would be as I was doing that myself so I'd be interested what they actually quoted you and what for.

They quoted me just over £200 for a fixed swan neck bar with single electrics, that was using a can-bus thingamabob to sort out the wiring.

I fitted a Brink bar to our new Volvo V70 last year and had the electrics done professionally for £70. I'm sure the wiring on a V70 is just as complicated as a Yeti especially as it has led rear lights and different brake lights if you are driving with the boot open. All this fuss about fitting a towbar to a 4x4 car is a bit pathetic.emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Brian

PF Jones in Manchester gave me a good price for a fixed and removable towbar for the Yeti. Here's their number. 0161 886 5798.

Brian.

Just been requoted by PF Jones. £212 fitted with single electrics using Bosal fixed swan neck and can-bus for the electrics.

Brian.

They quoted me just over £200 for a fixed swan neck bar with single electrics, that was using a can-bus thingamabob to sort out the wiring.

I fitted a Brink bar to our new Volvo V70 last year and had the electrics done professionally for £70. I'm sure the wiring on a V70 is just as complicated as a Yeti especially as it has led rear lights and different brake lights if you are driving with the boot open. All this fuss about fitting a towbar to a 4x4 car is a bit pathetic.emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Brian

I agree with the comment about the fuss and I've fitted full caravan towing kit to VW Golf, Passat and LR Defender all secondhand cars and all worked perfectly. But in truth what puts the wind up me slightly with a brand new vehicle are warranty issues and if I need to have any programming changes made following a DIY fit would Skoda dealers play ball or find excuses for not doing the necessary. I do however understand that the can-bus is a pretty useful piece of kit that can overcome potential sensing issues and therefore minimise or even eliminate programming requirements. Therefore I am still mulling over the optioms, but as it stands right now I am awaiting a written quote from a Skoda Dealer in Oxfordshire (who are trying to find out which wiring kit/s they need to order for a tow bar prep'd Yeti) for supply and fit which they think is going to be ball park £660. PFJones internet have quoted supply and delivery £186 for 13 pin wiring vehicle specific harness and £217 for the detachable towbar a total of £403. You have now got me thinking about your simple fixed bar quote so Hey Ho back to the drawing board. Good job I've got the Defender with a hitch, now theres a Proper Monster....

Brian

The towbar is a doddle. I have used P F Jones and have found them to be very good. The fuss is about the electrics. If you do the usual trick of "Scotchlocking" the electrics to the rear lighting cluster do you mess up the ECU? (You would certainly invalidate the guarantee) BUT the OEM harness, which connects to the fuse box by the driving wheel, requires a massive amount of time (4 hours) for the trim to be removed and refitted. Plus you may need a software update to tell the ECU that the trailer system has been fitted.

The towbar is a doddle. I have used P F Jones and have found them to be very good. The fuss is about the electrics. If you do the usual trick of "Scotchlocking" the electrics to the rear lighting cluster do you mess up the ECU? (You would certainly invalidate the guarantee) BUT the OEM harness, which connects to the fuse box by the driving wheel, requires a massive amount of time (4 hours) for the trim to be removed and refitted. Plus you may need a software update to tell the ECU that the trailer system has been fitted.

P F Jones did a superb job fitting an OEM harness to replace single electrics and relay that had been erroneously fitted. As Terfyn said fitting takes a massive amount of time which together with cost of harness increases the price substantially

I was told that as I did not have the factory prep the download would not disable the reversing sensors and this was the case The software download was £45 + vat and seemed to take around 45 mins.

GB

I have booked the YETI in for a tow bar fitting with indespension for the sum of £ 278 ,they are major European trailer supply and fitting company ,they fitted a tow bar and electrics to my fabia had no problems, they allow 2 hours for fitting and i hour for twin plug electrics

Collected the Yeti, fixed tow bar £276 all in, seems fine, Talking to the manager they seem have a good knowledge of the electrical side of modern systems, He said they fit for many main dealers so it would seem preferable to go to a reputable independent fitter, a salesman at a different dealer than the one I Obtained my Yeti said if I needed a tow bar fitted they use a independent tow bar company and would do it for cost price, Interesting to know if this standard practice with dealers , then charging the customer a premium price ?

Edited by mellyboy

Collected the Yeti, fixed tow bar £276 all in, seems fine, Talking to the manager they seem have a good knowledge of the electrical side of modern systems, He said they fit for many main dealers so it would seem preferable to go to a reputable independent fitter, a salesman at a different dealer than the one I Obtained my Yeti said if I needed a tow bar fitted they use a independent tow bar company and would do it for cost price, Interesting to know if this standard practice with dealers , then charging the customer a premium price ?

Excellent price, certainly saves all that faffing around with detachables, doors and covers etc

Seems in keeping to have a fixed tow bar on a 4x4.

Any chance of a pic.

:)

I had phoned around all skoda dealers and was getting prices from £750 and when i phoned Rainworth skoda nottingham and told Dave the chap that fits the towbars he said he would do the fitting all in for £ 420 detachable for my caravan,hope this helps.

So here Rainworth are saying £420, and here

I've been following this thread since before I purchased my Yeti which I collected from Rainworth on the 5th May. They quoted me £700 for a removable towbar and basically they were saying it's cheaper to get the job done by a third party.

they are saying £700.

!!!!!!!!!!

tom

• 8 months later...

I saw this little nugget the other day as to what 13pin electrics can do vs 7 pin in this thread:

"Also its monitored on the alarm, so if the van is attached & the alarm is set, if you disconnect the vans electrics it triggers the cars alarm." (sic)

Now that is one really good thing to know when you leave your car and whatever is attached to it parked somewhere! So just one more reason to get the proper electrics fitted and not some cheap by-pass arrangement.

Thanks for finding that Johann. If we ever stop at a motorway services we often take it in turns to "pay a visit" but knowing that I might not bother in future.

Edited by Llanigraham

<br />Thanks for finding that Johann. If we ever stop at a motorway services we often take it in turns to "pay a visit" but knowing that I might not bother in future.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

But, surely, Graham, when you gotta go, you gotta go? Hardly a question of 'not being bothered'!!

You'll be bothered all right if you DON'T go!

Thanks for finding that Johann. If we ever stop at a motorway services we often take it in turns to "pay a visit" but knowing that I might not bother in future.

Though probably best to test this first at some point to see if it works with the Yeti system. I don't have a van or trailer to hand to test this alarm mode on a 13 pin...

Tow bar prep and detachable tow bar = £489.36 + VAT.

My Dealer knew exactly what was involved and explained it to me.

CAN - bus was mandatory from 2001 for petrol and from 2004 for diesel vehicles. So no more more skotchlock fitted tow bar electrics. Anything added will be seen by the system as a fault condition, unless added and programmed to CAN - bus.

I also hear that a couple of years down the line that caravans and possible trailers will have active suspension and braking tied into the vehicle CAN -bus, so all the safety features on Yeti will be active on your caravan.

Chris.