DPF removal - is it possible?

Hey guys,

Was wondering, how complicated is it to remove the DPF from the PD engines on the new superb? Is it even possible on the CR engines?

Thanks in advance. :-)

it can be done on the octavia, so the superb must be possible. it wont be cheap as the DPF cannot be simply removed, once removed the dpf and its regen cycle need to be mapped out of the ecu software. Then you have the added cost of sorting a downpipe without the dpf installed. The octy comes in about £850 to £1K or so.

Rather than start a new thread, has anyone with a CR engine who uses it on the urban mainly had any problems with the DPF on their car, or is it a sorted deal now as the CR is the same age tech as the DPF is, rather than a DPF bodged onto a PD.

Rather than start a new thread, has anyone with a CR engine who uses it on the urban mainly had any problems with the DPF on their car, or is it a sorted deal now as the CR is the same age tech as the DPF is, rather than a DPF bodged onto a PD.

I have Run my Superb through the winter and my main daily journey consists of just a couple of miles each way 4 times a day with a four hour break between runs and the car was never up to temp. (slightly longer runs also during ther week) and twice now the cooling fan has been on when I get home and a slight "hot" smell which I was not ready for... I approached my dealer and they said there was no faults logged and it was through this forum I discovered about the DPF's passive regeneration function which seems to do the trick. I can assure you that if there was a problem them I would be a prime candidate!!.

Cheapest way is to take the DPF Filter off, cut a panel out, knock the ceramic filter material out, weld it back together and then have the software sorted

Where is the DPF fitted on the Ocatvai II VRS Diesel? - Im having mine removed this week staight after a remap to knock the sensor out. Is it really quite a simple task as I have heard that people have been charged nearly 1k for them to be removed (im guessing that this is because they have a new exhaust/pipe fitted).

Where is the DPF fitted on the Ocatvai II VRS Diesel? - Im having mine removed this week staight after a remap to knock the sensor out. Is it really quite a simple task as I have heard that people have been charged nearly 1k for them to be removed (im guessing that this is because they have a new exhaust/pipe fitted).

iirc it will be directly behind the turbo.

How much is it costing to get yours removed?

Where is the DPF fitted on the Ocatvai II VRS Diesel?

It's right after the turbo, at the top of the downpipe.

The original part with the DPF is closest on this photo... th_dpf1.jpg Here's the straight-through pipe installed... th_dpf3.jpg

And here's the part of the installed straight through pipe, where the DPF itself would be (note the bits where the sensors go)...

th_dpf4.jpg

Edited by wega3k

• 10 years later...
On 22/03/2010 at 07:43, shark_90 said:

In reply to the OP yes it's possible on the PD and CR and we do them both. If you need any information feel free

to get in touch.

got a 2010 skoda superb 6 speed manual 173000 miles 4x4 , just wondering how much a remap and dpf removal would cost please?

thanks

jerry

14 minutes ago, tuningmania said:

To @chimaera - Why You think "DPF" remove s bad?

Indeed... Some might suggest that the fitting of DPF's was actually the bodge, to start with!

MOT's are only going to get more strict, as they have done already so at some point nobody will be able to get away with a DPF delete so why pay for somebody to remove it and then pay for it being reinstalled again?

29 minutes ago, tuningmania said:

To @chimaera - Why You think "DPF" remove s bad?

On the common rail TDIs it was a core engine feature from the start of the design process: other parts of the engine hardware and software were designed with consideration for the DPF that was intended to be there from the beginning. Removing it means disentangling a lot of stuff in the ECU remap and hoping the rest of the engine stays working ok afterwards.

On the 1.9 engines they were easier to remove because they were a later addition to the engine to keep it on the market for a few more years.

DPFs are not a bodge - they were necessary to reduce particulate emissions from the engine, which are a serious health hazard. The particulate problem with diesel engines is largely solved now, and attention has turned to DI petrol engines as they are now the bigger problem when it comes to particulates.

• Like 1

To @chimaera - 

13 hours ago, chimaera said:

On the common rail TDIs it was a core engine feature from the start of the design process

If I remember right, there is "TDI-CR" Engines officially produced without "DPF".

Presumably the thread revival by gee57 and his location (Hemel) means Hemel Hempstead and therefore he's in the UK?

If so then DPF removal is a bad idea, unless you know a bent MOT tester.

But, the reason it is a bad idea is nothing to do with reliability. Both the PD and CR engines will run much better without a DPF if it is removed and mapped properly.

Blank off and/or remove the EGR and it'll improve further.

Both of which will have adverse effects on the emissions emitted from the exhaust, and likely prevent the vehicle from passing the soot test performed during the annual MOT test. 

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Both of which will have adverse effects on the emissions emitted from the exhaust, and likely prevent the vehicle from passing the soot test performed during the annual MOT test. 

Indeed - especially as you'll have to pass the smoke test at the plated level now which will be significantly lower on a car orginally fitted with a DPF. 

If an MOT tester spots any mods to DPF , EGR etc then it will fail the MOT anyway. Any visible smoke at all on a car supposed to have a DPF will also fail.

The 1.9pd was/is a great engine but where fitted the pd DPF implementation is poor - that is why VAG quickly moved to CR.