DLR's

Harvey1512

Put it into reverse and both front fogs come on.

What's the point of that? I'm usually looking behind me when I'm reversing ;)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

sounds like your describing the corner fog function (std on Elegance); below 40kph turn right for example the right fog will illuminate and vise versa for turning left. Put it into reverse and both front fogs come on.

Regards,

TP

Can the corner fog function be turned off?

Honest John has an interesting view on DRLs. Have a look at Honest John. Anyone with a Yeti had any problems with other drivers pulling out in front of them?

Generally no, not in snowmonster ! used to happen all the time in my black Mk 1 vRS Octavia :wonder:

What's the point of that? I'm usually looking behind me when I'm reversing emoticon-0105-wink.gif

Reversing out of a tight parking space (in underground garages for example) you also usually check the clearance left and right of the car before turning full lock and look back to reverse out. Extra lighting left and right enhances vision and situational awareness.

Can the corner fog function be turned off?

Not according to the manual. You can turn off the cornering function of the xenons via maxidot - not sure if it has any effect to the corner fog operation.

Why would you want to turn off this function ?

On another note, I find these questions interesting - 4 years ago I had to spend hard earned money to acquire the above add-on options on my BMW, I find them an important safety enhancing feature, at least in the urban setting we live in...

Edited by YETII

• 2 weeks later...

If another driver flashes their headlights at me, just because I've got DRL's enabled, I'm going to *@***@@****!!!!

I'm guessing that they think I've left the fog-lights on. It happened 6 times today, and I'm starting to get a bit annoyed. What's the best strategy - just ignore the idiots, or flash back? Don't really want to disable them, DLRs seem like a good idea to me.

If another driver flashes their headlights at me, just because I've got DRL's enabled, I'm going to *@***@@****!!!!

I'm guessing that they think I've left the fog-lights on. It happened 6 times today, and I'm starting to get a bit annoyed. What's the best strategy - just ignore the idiots, or flash back? Don't really want to disable them, DLRs seem like a good idea to me.

Hi tarbat,

not had that problem myself (as yet :giggle: ) and mine have been on since I collected her 6000 miles back in November. Also noticing a lot of Golf VI on the road which have distinctive DRL's but of the 4 Yeti's I've seen not one has had them turned on :(

Regards,

TP

I turned my DRL's on (after the dealer said the monster would need to be booked into to have the DRL's turned on by their computer??? emoticon-0145-shake.gif ) and I've not had anybody flashing me as yet .. .. .. ..emoticon-0122-itwasntme.gif

Have turned the DRL's off on both our cars since the better weather and lighter days have arrived, see no point in them in perfect visibility conditions.

They are just as important now!!

Try thinking about turning into a road where the sun is behind any approaching car and causing you glare. It is very easy for that approaching car to "disappear", but with the DDL's on you have a better chance of spotting it. Also if you drive lots of narrow hedge lined lanes it makes the car easier to spot.

Mine have been on all the time and I don't see the problem with having them on - not exactly wearing anything out and if one person sees them and it prevents an accident then that has to be worth it (given that mine are also attached to a very white SM...).

Not had anyone flash me in the daylight (and after an offside headlight level tweak, no one flashes me at night either!) - if they did just wave and smile - they're probably just jealous! emoticon-0144-nod.gif

If motorcycles have had to have their lights on all these years to be seen, then so shall I. In the near nine years I have had my A2 I have driven with the lights on for every single one of the 105,000 miles it has on its clock. Day and night. I'd rather someone flash his lights at me (which no one has ever done) and be aware of me then not see me and cause an accident. Replacement bulbs cost nothing compared to an accident. And on the Yeti the DRLs won't need replacing for a long, long time apparently.

[This is also why I would never ever own a red car. Red is on the end of the colour spectrum with a frequency that makes it the most invisible colour. (Yellow is the most visible). In the few times I have not seen a car when pulling out of a junction they have always been red.... Red blurs into the background too much for my liking. So if you have a red Yeti have those DRLs on for sure. But that as an aside.]

[This is also why I would never ever own a red car. Red is on the end of the colour spectrum with a frequency that makes it the most invisible colour. (Yellow is the most visible). In the few times I have not seen a car when pulling out of a junction they have always been red.... Red blurs into the background too much for my liking. So if you have a red Yeti have those DRLs on for sure. But that as an aside.]

Good job my Pat-Monster has them activated then :giggle:

Never thought of red as a camouflage colour myself; would have thought if that were the case the army would have stuck with red coats :rofl:

TP

The only time I have seen red cars blend in is, at night, under the sodium street lights. Most colours are affected by these monochrome lamps.

Of course I have no doubt that any red car is a blot on our green and pleasant land, the colour of a failing government and so visible on our roads as to be an asset to any driver!?!?!?!? I'll stick to my coffee coloured one that blends effortlessly into the background, doesn't show the dirt and has no political affiliation. (It stands for a "hung" parliament)

I also keep my DDLs on.

Edited by Terfyn

Of course I have no doubt that any red car is a blot on our green and pleasant land, the colour of a failing government and so visible on our roads as to be an asset to any driver!?!?!?!? I'll stick to my coffee coloured one that blends effortlessly into the background, doesn't show the dirt and has no political affiliation. (It stands for a "hung" parliament)

Thanks for associating my poor Pat-Monster with politics; bless her she's not got a political panel in her body :rofl:

TP

Surely all Yetis' are signed up members of the Monster Raving Looney Party? :giggle:

PS. Not sure I 'liked' DRL's, but haven't switched them off.

I guess they will become mandatory across Europe soon.

Not been flashed yet either.

Edited by HKPhooey

Hi,

photo time;

DRL

For comparison side lights

Regards,

TP

Great minds think alike I have just been trying to photo the daylight set up but did not get any useable results due to external reflections and the optical effects of the lenses.

The daylight running lights on the auto setting is a small bulb set in the inner lighting enclosure (foglight) and to a hedgehog this would look quite pretty because of the action of the lens giving multiple images.

The outer main beam enclosure containing what looks like a spotlight also has a small bulb in it and I have not yet worked out what that does. I have noticed on auto setting that sometimes one appears to have dipped beam in the daytime so I wonder if the smaller bulb is a daylight dipped or tunnel light.

Hmmmmm wonder if this bulb coming on at night would give the two to three car length dipped beam that in the other thread I said created a dangerous situation if the main dipped beam was switched off.

Great minds think alike I have just been trying to photo the daylight set up but did not get any useable results due to external reflections and the optical effects of the lenses.

The daylight running lights on the auto setting is a small bulb set in the inner lighting enclosure (foglight) and to a hedgehog this would look quite pretty because of the action of the lens giving multiple images.

The outer main beam enclosure containing what looks like a spotlight also has a small bulb in it and I have not yet worked out what that does. I have noticed on auto setting that sometimes one appears to have dipped beam in the daytime so I wonder if the smaller bulb is a daylight dipped or tunnel light.

Hmmmmm wonder if this bulb coming on at night would give the two to three car length dipped beam that in the other thread I said created a dangerous situation if the main dipped beam was switched off.

From my understanding:

Round inner light top third is the DRL

Round inner light bottom two thirds is Fog lamps (and these are the "dipped beam" in the daytime you see since they come on when you use your indicators or turn the wheel)

Outer main light - the small bulb you see is the "parking light".

Outer main light - Xenon - hard to miss that one I think or what it does!

The two to three car dipped beam might be JUST the fog lamps on with the Xenons being completely switched off (since this is a faulty setting).

shows how the fog lamps work when the wheel is turned and also how BOTH come on when you select reverse.

when volvos and saabs first had their side lights permanantly on peaple used to flash, and ithink after april next year when drl`s become standard fitment people will stpo flashing as well

(google translation from http://www.automotorsport.se )

Daytime running lights are nothing new to us in Sweden. It came as standard on the Volvo 240 1975, and Saab followed. Since the introduction of Law on DRL or dipped beam during the day in 1977 in Sweden and other Nordic countries followed in the '80s.

Since then, many studies have shown that daytime running lights effectively reduces the number of accidents, especially at dusk and the pale winter daylight in the northern hemisphere.

And now, after several years of discussion, the commission proposes that the daytime running lights round the clock becomes mandatory for new cars sold in Europe from 2011.

For passenger cars, the requirement of February 2011 and for trucks from August 2012.

The reason for the proposal is the estimated traffic impact: in the EU, an estimated 3 to 5 percent fewer fatalities in all cars driving with daytime running lights. This means that many thousands of lives saved per year.

Daytime running lights consumes power, but only about one third of consumption dipped beam, and the increase in fuel consumption and carbon emissions they generate is minimal, said a commission representative to the media on Wednesday. There must be weighed against the large number of lives saved, "he said.

The new proposal was drawn up in consultation with the European Parliament and the 27 Member States, and it need not be cleared in a parliamentary vote, but the force of law in that it has now been tabled by the EU Commission.

All the reasons exactly why I've been driving with my lights on for the past decade or longer.

BUT as with everything someone will moan. And this time it's the guys on motorbikes. They are now bleating that if all cars have their lights on that THEY will now not be seen anymore! You just can't win!

in several countries the number of accidents since they introduced mandatory driving in daylight with headlights on have increased to the point that Austria for example have banned the use of DRL's in their country.

Austria: since Daytime Running Lights were banned on 1 January 2008' date=' less accidents for road users have been reported:

minus 5% fatalities

minus 25% biker-accidents

[/quote']

Fatalities since DRLs started to be introduced have also been on the increase in Bulgaria and Poland.

So was the increase in fatal accidents occurring to DRL-equipped vehicles or those without?

I presume only accidents occurring in clear weather during daylight hours were included in the results as in poor viz and the hours of darkness everyone would have headlights on (though perhaps it is isn't mandatory in those countries as it is in the UK for lights on in poor viz)?

Lies, damn lies and statistics as the saying goes....

All cars built after 1st January 2011 and offered for sale in the UK after that date must be fitted with DRL's. It will not immediately be compulsory for them to be used. However, stocks of cars built before 1/1/2011 without DRL's can still be sold after that date so it will be some time before all new cars are so fitted. The same rules will apply to LGV's in Jan 2012. DRL's have been required on all new passenger vehicles with more than 18 seats since Jan 2009.

Please bear in mind that the AUTO setting on vehicles with Auto headlights should not be relied upon to always illuminate headlights in all conditions. If the ambient light levels are high enough, your headlights will not automatically come on in conditions of poor visibility, eg mist, spray, rain, falling snow. You may still have to turn them on yourself.

As more and more automatic kit is added to cars, so more & more drivers seem to lose the ability to assess danger and make the decision to do something about it. This has been clearly evidenced over the past winter by the number of cars with no lights on at all ploughling along Britain's rain lashed motorways.

Oops, there's another rant for the forum! :giggle:

Edited by speedsport