Favourite Tipple...excluding Lager / Beer etc..

MonkeyHanger

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete' date=' what is a decent red wine? Been looking at some on [url']www.superplonk.com[/url] but I know very little about reds :(

Care to recommend me one as I'm having the girlfroends parents round for a "meet the parents" dinner on Friday. I gather her Dad is a bit of a wine buff :(

I'm certainly no expert , tend to stick with what I like , which is Californian Red ..............I'm more of a wine guzzler than a connoisseur ........... :D

i've started drinking red wine of late.

haven't had a bad bottle by kumala yet.merlot or cabinare sauignvon(spelt badly),usualy around the 4 quid a bottle.

this site was recomended to me by a friend that likes a drop. :thumbup:

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/browse.pasp?casetype=sr&browsetype=rg_r&rendertype=b&linkid=stillredwine&club=LAIT&brand=LAIT&recruit=false&mscssid=5KHTM1FJT9U89M8D7P2S6E7JDTG7939F&refer=&fwid=&imi=&rf=false

I'm partial to a bottle^H^H^H^H^H^Hglass or two of Wolf Blass Yellow Label cabernet sauvignon. Lovely stuff - tastes like mixed-fruit jam dissolved in alcohol, but not too sweet...

Discovered it a good few years ago, before it turned up in every supermarket (I'm not complaining about that - it's easier to get hold of); I figured that a bottle of wine with such an ugly label had to be good to sell for more than a couple of quid....

what is a decent red wine?...dinner on Friday.

What are you planning on serving?

If you scoot round Sainsburys they have "serve with..." guides on all the wines, then if her father disses your choice you can just say that you're not an expert but you know what you like, and that in your opinion this wine goes well with the meal.

Then ask him what he'd serve, and switch off while he happily rambles on for a couple of hours... :D

Oh, and I'd recommend a good South African Pinotage. :)

Rob.

I'm certainly no expert , tend to stick with what I like , which is Californian Red ..............I'm more of a wine guzzler than a connoisseur ........... :D

Ay Pete, have you tried this Paul Masson Californian red..you know..the one that's in a bottle that looks more suited as something you'd have a gush in, hidden under your bed! :D

No cork screw required and it reseals itself when you clip the lid back on.

I don't normally have to do that though...just swig it dry. :thumbup: and very nice it is too. A C.J. highly recommended fruity little number.

Just savouring Asda's own single malt as we speak. 9 pound something, and it's slippin' down a treat at the moment...trouble is I have difficulty stopping once I've got the taste ;)

£2.69 chilean red wine from Asda (thats £2.99 with 10% bulk buy) not done it myself but would drink it (and did in Canada)

Also can drink vodka and red bull in great amounts, which normally sets me off buzzing on the dance floor! :speaker: "night fever, night feverrrr" :speaker: :o

Jacobs Creek Merlot slips down rather nicely - in fact most of the Jacobs Creek wines are rather nice and not too pricy.

Also have a bottle of Jonge Jenever in the cupboard. Bacardi Gold with ice is OK too - although it does benefit from a splash of Coke IMHO.

Got some czech Fernet Stock lemon to drink over xmas , was what the locals were driking when I was in CZ tasted OK there as a pivo chaser, although might not taste the same when in UK.

Tend to go for Bells with just ice ,find it as enjoyable as any malt personally.

John

Hmmm. A "Jacqueline". Local south-west france drink. Blackcurrent, white wine and lemonade. Awesome alcopops :thumbup:

Oh and for red wine advice, try this: when you know you're going to have a meal at home with the bottle already to hand, open it up a day early. Poor full contents of bottle into big jug. Energetically shake jug around several times, swirling the wine to get the air into it. Then, let it rest for 24 hours, open to the air. I guarantee the following day it'll be a darn lot nicer ;)

A bottle of Piat D'or and 4 cans of anything makes me comfortably numb.

In my R&R younger years(and the first time i stayed at a B&B with my now wife) Margate IIRC , i managed to consume 4 pints of Holsten and 3/4 of a bottle of JD{ i was 17}, got back to the B&B and went to bed, half way through the night i had to use the loo, thing is i forgot to pull my 'things' down and well made a mess of myself :D .

So as to appear 'normal' when i got back to my room , i stuffed my under garments down the pan.I awoke an hour later sitting on the toilet :confused: .

Staggered up stairs and fell into bed.

Next morning the misses wanted to know why i had been gone for an hour and also what happened to my pants, i had NO idea but the toilet had been flooded and thats when i found out i'd had more than a wee...... :D

Never confessed to this before..............................

Steve

A bottle of Piat D'or and 4 cans of anything makes me comfortably numb.

In my R&R younger years(and the first time i stayed at a B&B with my now wife) Margate IIRC ' date=' i managed to consume 4 pints of Holsten and 3/4 of a bottle of JD{ i was 17}, got back to the B&B and went to bed, half way through the night i had to use the loo, thing is i forgot to pull my 'things' down and well made a mess of myself :D .

So as to appear 'normal' when i got back to my room , i stuffed my under garments down the pan.I awoke an hour later sitting on the toilet :confused: .

Staggered up stairs and fell into bed.

Next morning the misses wanted to know why i had been gone for an hour and also what happened to my pants, i had NO idea but the toilet had been flooded and thats when i found out i'd had more than a wee...... :D

Never confessed to this before..............................

Steve[/quote']

:rofl::rofl: ...........I'm not surprised that you've never confessed to that before either ...... :D

Can't quite match that but , when I lived with the "dragon" , my ex , I got up one night wanting a pee , thought I'd gone to the bathroom , but the next thing I know is that she is screaming at me saying "what are you doing" .................well it was bloody obvious , I was peeing in the window cill .......... :D .............never confessed to that one before either .

Turned left instead of right to go for a wizz in the dark(I think) back in february this year after our clubs annual knees up.

Sadly it was the top of the stairs....broke the new cabinet and smashed my head in on the way down, woke next door up too apparently. :thumbup:

Didn't have to confess..Mrs C.J. told everyone and that I am a drunken irresponsible bad example :confused:

I dunno either.

Still haven't fixed the cabinet...must do it this weekend! ;)

jacky dee's stright up.

Nope . Steve H's true confessions of a 17 yr old drum god.

Its true what the say about musicians and drummers :D .

That's why im getting my 8 yr old a Roland electronic kit for christmas, gotta start em young. I was 10 :( .

Steve

bravo C.J.

a feat to be proud of, i honestly admire your ability to get drunk, i myself don't actually drink that often but when i do i tend to go one of two ways, either just the 1 or 2, either that or completely bladered. generally i like the second, if in the right mood of course

Didn't feel very admirable in the next afternoon I can tell you. Even I was a bit ashamed of myself, and looked like I'd been in a punch up. Mixed the drinks that night..fatal.

Good came out of it though...Mrs C.J. didn't really speak to me for 2 days. :thumbup:

I think this topic should be 'opened up a little' to Whats the most F***ed you've been.

Who's next for the confession box :rofl:

No shame- Steve

And look who started the ball rolling..as usual. :D

Think a night out on the town with you and 1 or 2 others in here could be quite enlightening ey Steve. :thumbup:

ps. Rob....having a spot of bother in the zzz's dept.? :P