Does driving make you tired?

I am interested in hearing how or if experience helps with this.

I have just completed a 150 mile journey in good conditions using motorway and some A-roads in my Fabia. I concentrated all the time to ensure a safe journey, however after I stopped I felt quite shattered. As I fell asleep that night, bits of that journey kept flashing back to me. Now I know that for many people 150 miles is just a daily commute but I needed 2 rest stops and coffee and walks to keep me alert. I had my seat in a comfortable position, tried to sit relaxed and had sucky travel sweets and Cliff Richard playing, but I still ended up tired and the same went for my return journey - very tired at the end.

This fatigue when driving is putting me off exploring England and as I live near London I can't see me making the Lake District or Cornwall as I would like to (short of using the train and renting a car - expensive).

So, is it just more experience I need or do any of you suffer from 'car fatigue'?

All thoughts welcomed.

TH

I used to commute 55 miles each way with 15 miles of it on a poor single carriageway road.

It would knacker me for the first 3 months or so but gradually I got used to it.

but you do have to watch that you don't get the 'road hypnosis' on long journeys. I could easily manage most of the commute without remembering much of it.

I don't miss it that's for sure.

I regularly do 200 miles straight through, Preston to Newport. I feel a bit tired at the end, but I guess it's from concentrating. It's more pronounced after driving at night down un-lit sections.

I don't really get tired from driving as long as I don't set off feeling tired which you shouldn't do anyway.

I once drove from Talliin to Calais non-stop (apart from fuel) and that was somewhat tiring but going from Calais to Nurburg/Interlaaken doesn't wear me out.

I find having the radio or CD on keeps me relaxed but I make sure to stay alert.

So, is it just more experience I need or do any of you suffer from 'car fatigue'?

If it's not the sort of driving that you typically undertake, you may have found it stressful (even if you don't necessarily realise it) which can contribute to fatigue. The more experience you get driving with that sort of driving, the more familiar you'll be with the scenario and your fatigue will probably reduce.

However, that said, fatigue when driving is no different from fatigue in other situations that require physical/mental concentration...so things like age, lack of sleep, alcohol/food intake can all play their part.

Yes of course.

While not motorway driving is not physically involving (bar the slight movement of the right foot every now and then, even worse if like me you have cruise control) it is hugely mentally draining.

Over the bank holiday i did about 400 miles including a 160 mile trek from the midlands to Cornwall and the reverse journey back again. It is entirely the M5 and dual carriageway and is all done on cruise control so i only have to make sure i'm steering in the right direction. However even with that little to pay attention to I am knackered after the trip.

When driving there is so much that you concentrate on/pay attention to/watch out for/do without realising it; while driving is second nature and you don't realise your doing most of it - it does take it's toll on your brain.

I can't imagine how the guys at LeMans do hours on end absolutely flat out with actual racing to deal with too!

It's all down to experience and the type of driving, IMHO.

I've driven 450 miles in one day across France on the Autoroutes and arrived as fresh as a daisy.

Then I've taken 2 1/2 hours to get back the 35 miles from London to home and I'm shattered!

Phil

As Phil says, I'd find being stuck in stop-start traffic way more tiring than a long drive on quiet roads. I've done Weymouth to Dumbarton (about 600 miles) in a day, and felt fresh enough to go out for dinner and a few beers with friends afterwards.

Also, I find driving a big car more relaxing and less tiring than driving a small one.

Occasionally I do a job where I will drive 200+ miles to get to work (Manchester to Glasgow) work a 12 hour day and then drive back. I am used to this sort of mileage, but have noticed that as I get older the return leg (usually in the dark) is much more wearing. I sometimes end up stopping every 45 minutes for a cup of coffee/red bull etc. Super comfy cars with cruise and climate control don’t help either.

My dad used to wet one eyebrow as he said it was such a weird feeling it kept him awake.

• Like 1

Mental / alertness at the start of a journey can play more of a part I think. :) As said, I have done several hundred miles being full alert, but have also driven for 4 hours or so and felt quite tired. I have found just keeping some water & sweets to hand helps quite a bit. More recently I have also found my mk5 GTI seats have helped me be more alert, compared to my old stock seats. Better seating stance I think.

Occasionally I do a job where I will drive 200+ miles to get to work (Manchester to Glasgow) work a 12 hour day and then drive back. I am used to this sort of mileage, but have noticed that as I get older the return leg (usually in the dark) is much more wearing. I sometimes end up stopping every 45 minutes for a cup of coffee/red bull etc. Super comfy cars with cruise and climate control don’t help either.

Good point; I try to avoid driving through dusk when I can. Either delay my departure til ful dark, or time a break through dusk. If that's not the issue, turn the radio up, the climate off, and open a window.

Thanks for the thoughts - not just me then! :)

I know what you mean about the road hypnosis - that is what alerts me to needing a break - like the car is not connected with reality. I do try to set off in the best possible state of mind but it is the concentrating that wears me down. Slow and dodgy drivers in front on a dangerous A-road for miles is very tiring too.

• Like 1

I used to know a van driver who did the airports run every night, starting at midnight. He did Luton -Heathrow-Gatwick-Stanstead -Luton every night, 5 nights a week. I asked him how he stayed awake. "By driving like a F***ing nutter" was his response.

Not a method I'd recommend.......

Phil

Some very good points already covered above.

I personally think "stamina" is something that comes with experience but that can be also developed through mindset and environment. As has been mentioned above, driving is a fairly mentally draining task and so minimising other factors which will eat into this reserve is important if you are to go the distance. Ideally, you want to feel relaxed and in-control behind the wheel (be wary of the car driving you, especially with cruise control, etc) and things which may help this are a comfortable seating position, good ventilation (especially in the summer), knowing where you're going (navigation en route can prove fairly stressful ;)) and having a good atmosphere in the car (music, conversation, etc). You may also consider the time of day you travel too - often driving when the roads are quieter is more pleasant than braving rush-hour, especially in and around London.

Motoring organisations also recommend taking frequent breaks while driving long distances and it's easy enough to pull into a services for a few minutes to break up longer journeys.

Chris

Good point Chris; I find 2 or 3 hours on motorway without a "comfort stop" (maybe just a visit to the loo and a wander through the shop) is enough, but I can easily do 4 or 5 hours on fairly quiet, flowing single carriageway!

As mentioned, it seems related to your usual driving environment, the traffic/road conditions, and slightly the car you're driving. I commute 60 miles to work each day, on A roads, dual, carriageways and motorway - I average over 50mph, and arrive slightly tired, but that's more the early start than the driving. I frequently cover 150-200+ miles with 1 or no stops if we're going on holiday, and am usually fine then too. I find stops are required to empty the bladder more than to keep alert.

• 4 weeks later...

It does depend on conditions and experience. I remember driving from home (Swansea) to Cardiff and back used to make me tired. That was just after I passed my test. One of the worst drives I've had was 6 Hours in a van up to Shipley, stopped for an hour and drove back. By the end of it I really couldn't concentrate and when I got home I went straight to bed. Since then I've driven from Middlesbrough back to Swansea with no problems. What I find is that I can now drive for miles and miles feeling fresh, not feeling tired at all. But the minute I get out of the car the tiredness hits me and I'm absolutely shattered.

• 5 months later...

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far (although I have only skim-read); ScoobyChris' list of factors seems particularly comprehensive. I'd say the most all-encompassing factor is the level of concentration required. Of course, we should all be concentrating fully on driving all the time, but some things mean your brain has to work harder in order to produce the same level of safety. My biggest "stressers" are probably lighting (driving into a setting sun is exhausting; some find driving at night tiring although I find it relaxing), speed (I'll sometimes trundle along on the motorway at 60 or even 50mph if I've had a particularly heavy day; trying to "get there quickly" is mentally taxing) and stop-start driving (congested towns or queues - and constantly using the clutch gives me back ache after a while, too).

• 1 month later...

Doesn't driving tiredness depend on how boring it is?

If I'm tired I avoid driving on motorways, dual carriageways or primary routes, but I can manage a lot better on more minor roads where there is a enough mental stimulation to keep me alert.

I used to liken involving driving to academic examinations; the level of concentration required is similar. Maintaining a high level of concentration is a skill that can be developed through practice.

• 9 months later...

It's true - some of it is about arousal at a psychological level.

If you feel yourself tiring, playing some exciting music etc is always a good one, or even as daft as it sounds taking a little detour to do some steering is also good.

If you're under-aroused, you'll end up feeling drowsy, even if you're not physically tired.

Just like if you're over-aroused, you'll end up being fatigued and it'll have the same effect.

It's about getting a balance for long journeys, and knowing whether you're under or over stimulated and adjusting accordingly.

I've got to say that I often find the opposite.

Getting into a vehicle livens me up a bit if anything.

At the moment, I'm working in London, home is in Bristol.

I drive down Monday mornings, stay until Friday night

I'm doing 10 hour days in between. I leave London

for Bristol after a full days building work (often quite strenuous)

at about 10pm to take advantage of the quieter motorways and to avoid the

M25 nutterfest that starts at about 3pm until 8pm on a Friday.

Even though I'm tired, as soon as I get into the van

it's almost like I've been fitted with new batteries.

I think it's the thought of seeing my other half in a few hours that

"fuels" me as by Friday I haven't seen her all week.

My longest unbroken drive is eleven and a half hours.

That was cross country from Dovercourt, Essex to Arnold, Nottingham.

I got a bit (lot) lost and hit loooooads of traffic.

I thought it would be quicker to avoid motorways :rofl:

I was quite young then mind you. Long before Sat Nav.

I also have driven for a living on numerous occasions.

I've driven Buses, Lorries, Vans and cars professionally

and if you're driving a bus for instance you can't just

get out and stretch your legs and grab a latte.

The passengers wouldn't appreciate it I reckon.

So I think that's helped to build endurance.

The time I remember being most tired was when I was

doing 12hr night shifts in a logistics centre driving

a fork truck from 6pm to 6am during the winter.

Half hour break only and being winter time the

warehouse was very very cold.

Two 5 and a half hour stints on a noisy gas forktruck

was very tiring.

If you are used to short journeys then a 150miler IS going to tire you. Age doesn't help either. Driving the Fabia is usually a relaxing way to travel. On the other hand I can travel by Public transport and fall a sleep in a few minutes, which is the best way to get by without some cretin annoying me.

• 3 weeks later...

I regularly drive both long and short distances and find that fatigue can set in on both, the important ting is to recognise that you are tired and pull over for a "power nap" even just 10mins in the services or safely at the side of the road can be a life saver and it is something that I now regularly put into practice (plus I am turning into an old f4rt :D).

Water is also important, as your fluid levels affect all sorts of body and brain functions. if you try going all day without taking in fluids it can cause Migrain like headaches

I regularly drive both long and short distances and find that fatigue can set in on both, the important ting is to recognise that you are tired and pull over for a "power nap" even just 10mins in the services or safely at the side of the road can be a life saver and it is something that I now regularly put into practice (plus I am turning into an old f4rt :D).

Water is also important, as your fluid levels affect all sorts of body and brain functions. if you try going all day without taking in fluids it can cause Migrain like headaches

Totally agree. i used to regularly drive from Plymouth to Aberdeen. Some times I would drive it with no problems, other times I wouldn't even get to Exeter before getting tired. Some of it is down to what you are used to, some to age. For me there is no hard and fast rule about when I am up to a long drive, if I know I have one to do I will make sure I am rested and ready formit but that is no garuntee that I won't get tired.

You do have to be careful ofnthe 'Power Nap', I had a friend who napped for a bit too long, thought he was fine, started off again, next thing he was upside down in a ditch. Too much and thembody goes into sleep mode. A quick nap is a short term fix!