VRs ?

Hello Everyone

Im looking for a Octavia II 2.0T FSI VRs but having never drove one, i would like some advice.

i used to own a Octavia I elegance (2002) a few years ago but i guess i cant really compare this to the new VRs !

Ive been looking at various hot cars like the Focus ST, Megane 225, Golf GTi but these seem pretty expensive to buy and run so after looking at the performance stats on these cars against the VRs, the skoda seems the best all rounder.

Any personal experience / advice appreciated : )

What kind of advice are you after?

When it came to replace my old VR6, I was looking at a Golf GTi, and I also considered a Focus ST.

However, in the course of looking I discovered that the vRS is essentially a practical Golf GTi.

The boot is enormous, but it still goes when you need it to :giggle: and handles well too.

I also think it looks pretty good.

I've had several quick golfs, but I'm loving my Skoda so far! :thumbup:

No, the Otavia vRS is a family sized hatchback with sporting pretensions - and a very good one. If you want to compare purely performance, there are stacks of figures online.

You might come to the same conclusion as me and decide the Octavia vRS is the best blend of economy, performance and practicality available. I have had 4 Octavias now, each time I come to change I do the usual trawling around VW, Audi, Ford, Renault (and more) dealers and always come to the same conclusion!

Ye, just wanted advice around performance really. Are they a performance hatch like the Focus ST / Megane 225 ?

I'd say no, not as standard.

It's a 200hp family car that doesn't have the same performance or handling as an ST or Meganne 225 but it a damn site more comfortable and practical. However, a remap and some coilovers and you'll be bloody close to the others mentioned and still have spent less cash...

Ye, just wanted advice around performance really. Are they a performance hatch like the Focus ST / Megane 225 ?

I can't recall the figures for the ST/Megane.

I'm sure someone can correct me, but the Skoda is more or less the same as the Golf.

It's 200bhp as standard, and is easily tuned for more.

Do it!!

Not only can I get a **** load of rubbish in the boot for a tip run, we also regularly visit the wifes parents carrying 2 sproggs, Bonnie the Beagle and a couple of sets of golf clubs and still have room to spare! And if your worried about performance, I'm running the equivalent of a stage 1 remap, and quite frankly made a monkey out of a friend of mine in his standard Focus ST..........need I say more? :thumbup:

Oh yeah, did I mention - DO IT!!!!! They are brill' B)

Can't say I can contribute too much as I drive around with the devils fuel in the tank, however as far as getting a vRS is concerned - DO IT.

This is now my 3rd Octavia, but I have wanted a vRS for a long time. I settled for an Ibiza FR over a Fabia vRS and regretted that, so now the opportunity to get a vRS came up, then I had to have it :)

You might come to the same conclusion as me and decide the Octavia vRS is the best blend of economy, performance and practicality available.

Same here!

I looked at Focuses (Foci? :rofl: ), Golfs, Astras... but settled on the Octy as it was pretty quick, could fit 3 mountain bikes and 3 people in easily, cruised on the motorway at 40mpg and felt newer at 100k miles than the Astra I drive that had 10k miles on it, all while being cheaper than the Golf :)

Edited by AdamR

Good thing is if you are buying brand new there are quite a few skoda dealers participating in a no VAT offer across the range. I'm picking up my vRS today and its packed with options, probably should have retailed about 23k and im getting it for 19500 :D happy days!

hmmm..... Megane 225 or Octavia VRs.....?

Octy all the way, the 225 (in my opinion of course) is not as quick as it should be, fine handling car but straight line speed its monstered by the focus ST! I have driven all of the hot hatches at the moment and my favorite was the ST. But like mentioned before the vRS has the best balance between performance, economy and practicality :)

you cant compare the meganne to the vRS.

Whilst in a straight line there would be very little in it(with the meganne edging it slightly), the meganne is a much more focused hot hatch, and is without doubt better in the bends than the ST, GTI, vRS. however the interior, and bbuild quality, repair costs, maintainence are not as good as the ST, GTI and vRS.

i personally see the GTI as a waste of money in comparison to the vRS. you are getting neigh on identical underpinninngs, a better interior, a bigger boot, and a lot more change in your wallet. Also take into consideration the VW and ford dealerships are not renowned for their excellence in customer service. Skoda have topped that bill on numerous occasions, and from whatr i am led to believe skoda massively out sold VW this last year for this very reason. Better value for money, better aftersales support, for essentially the same car.

another way of looking at it is on the old lap times of the performance car magazine. iirc the vRS was 0.4 seconds a lap slower than the GTI. So they have the same power output, but the vRS weighs over 100Kg more. So it goes to show the vRS must handle just as well as the GTI so dont think you are getting a car with less ability.

I absolutely love the ST and had one previously however it really was thirsty beyond belief. id have no qualms about owning anothr but the vRS is a better all rounder with a better feel about it.

if you want a real drivers car,you need the meganne plain and simple.

if yo want rock solid residuals but a higher cost and a prestigous badge you want the gti

i you want a phenominal sounding engine and all round ability get the ST.

if you want the best all rounder which can live with all the above on the roads, costs less, holds its money then the vRS is the one you want.

also the TFSI is a really really tunable engine with a huge array of modifications available.

Id say there is a more of a scene now for the TFSI and mk5 chassis than there is for the meganne and focus, purely as a result of the GTI, vRS, leon Fr, leon Cupra, Audi TT, A3, S3 all sharing the same chassis and engines

Really excellent reviews there. Thanks :)

vRS's are the fasterest and bestus car in the whole wide world. :giggle:

seriously though i love it, nohing makes me smile more than when you give someone in a nice expensive BMW or something else a good spanking, and you see their face when they see your in a skoda. i was runnig about 280Hp until recently and the amount of guys that i have taken in my car have been horrfied at how quick it was, quoting how they couldnt believe a skoda could do that. i think it makes the car even better. No one ever expect the car to be so good until they get in it them selves.

BTW race blue is the fastest colour FACT(although id get white next time, the that would be the fastest colour)

Edited by vRSy

vRS's are the fasterest and bestus car in the whole wide world. :giggle:

seriously though i love it, nohing makes me smile more than when you give someone in a nice expensive BMW or something else a good spanking, and you see their face when they see your in a skoda. i was runnig about 280Hp until recently and the amount of guys that i have taken in my car have been horrfied at how quick it was, quoting how they couldnt believe a skoda could do that. i think it makes the car even better. No one ever expect the car to be so good until they get in it them selves.

BTW race blue is the fastest colour FACT(although id get whete next time, the that would be the fastest colour)

Haha candy white FTW! :D

I'm on my second VRS (had both MK1 and now MK2), I have the FL MK2 on order so that will be my third ...... All have been petrol versions. Before that I was a Honda Vtec (normally a type R of some description) NUT but got ****ed off with the noise, the numb arse and dead legs when I did mid to long journeys.

Discovered the Octavia VRS and have never looked back....... fast, reliable, stacks of space, loads of equipment and not to expensive to run for what they are......

After 8 years of owning a MkI Octavia vRS I did look seriously at the alternatives when I came to change a couple of months ago.

I don't really need a family car (no family) but ability to shallow mountain bikes is a real plus.

I looked at the Focus ST and Leon FR first and was very impressed but I was more impressed when I got around to trying a MkII Octavia vRS, and then bought it!

Although I did take a few days to persuade myself on the colour. :D

It won on the age, condition and mileage I could get for the money, comfort (that Leon's pretty hard!) and even more space than the generous MKI. Still great to drive too when you find the right road, but on the wrong road (motorway or around town) it's still a great companion and not tiresome. The 2.0 TFSI is a peach, smooth and pulls well in all gears.

A great experience with my MKI helped too.

The 2.0l renault clio sport cup (the stripped out version, whatever it's called), is really cheap and turns in sub 7 second 0-60. DrivetheDeal say £14k.

The 2.0l renault clio sport cup (the stripped out version, whatever it's called), is really cheap and turns in sub 7 second 0-60. DrivetheDeal say £14k.

he's lookin at medium sized hot hatches though. the clio is very small in comparison, but to be fair they go like hell

Hi Crompo,

I agree with what everyone here has said about the Octavia Vrs, it's a fantastic car with a bit of everything. I own one a was most suprised about how econonomical it was for a large 200bhp car.

I don't know if you're interested but I'm unfortunately selling mine due to a change in circumstance, I'm gutted and it will be sorely missed, here's the link should you fancy a look...

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1721722.htm

A fantastic car, one which i'll definately return to when circumstances allow....

I've owned a focus ST, now own a octy vRS FL TSI and have regular use of a mkv GTi and also a pre-FL Octy vRS TFSI.

The ST is quicker in a straight line as standard but not by a great deal, however it is very cheap to tune for much bigger numbers (265ish bhp) which transforms it into a rapid hatch IMO. ST feels planted but I'd say the vRS is on par for handling with the ST. Octy feels better built and the FL especially has a nicer interior IMO. Pre facelift and i'd say interior-wise they were on par with each other. vRS is much better on running costs, ST used to average 25 on a good day - same roads etc in the vRS and i'd get 30-35mpg. vRS tax is a bit cheaper, insurance about the same. depreciation about the same. Skoda better value to buy new IMO.

Golf GTi is between the two in straightline speed (really not a huge amount between all 3), however golf feels most pointy and adjustable in the handling stakes.

deciding factors for me with the Octy were practicality (bigger boot!), value, running costs, and quality. GTi is just toooo pricey IMO (and was a bit small for our needs). Briefly considered the megane but couldnt live with the interior - urrgh!

Try them all, they're all fantastic!

when you have a focus ST people expect it to go like the clappers. plus every one wants to race you because your driving the ford asbo :no:

with the GTI people expect that to be quick, but IMO all the other diesel golfs until you get up next to them look just like GTI. It desnt stand out enough against the rest of the range for my liking.

with the vRS no one expects it to be any good, its quite understated in its nature, especally in comparison to the St and meganne, and thats what i love about it.

i gree with all the above reference the handling and power being neigh on identical between them, so it is purely just a case of choosing which one you like.

before i bought this one i test drove pretty much every available hot hatch tht was available from a dealer.

hated the VXR full stop. tried the Mazda 3mps, but they were offering naff all discount on them. loved the megannes handling but hated the interior, liked the golf but wasnt keen on the styling, and just couldnt figure out why they cost so muchmore than the vRS. a damn expensive badge is about it.

wittled it down to either the cupra or the vRS.. decided on the vRS becue the interior was a step above and i thoutght the 40hp dficit would only be a remap away. wish i knew about the turbo differences, as the k04 engine is quite possibly one of the best engines for tuning out there

Edited by vRSy

Have you driven the Octy yet? I hadnt until before Feb and bought the car the same day I test drove it. Im running shark stage 1 tune with a BSH intake now and its flies and still gets 35mpgemoticon-0140-rofl.gif Running costs on this car have been very cheap and I cover about 1000 miles a month and use about £180 of fuel. I thoroughly enjoy driving the car on all types of roads. I drive it mainly on country roads and it covers ground rapidly yet comfortably too. Even lowered on eibachs it retains nearly OE ride quality and I am always a bit disappointed when my journey comes to an end and I have to get out of the caremoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif