Aluminium Roof Bars

Ray_Green

The same bars will be on sale to LIDL stores in Italy...

Do they fit on Yeti's roof rails?

:)

They are long enough. I just measured the distance between the rails, around 1000 mm

Just a quick report on these. Still at work so no pictures - sorry!

They are a very, very tight fit on the Yeti. You need to remove the end-caps; fit the clamps loosely and then slide the bar on. When all tightened up it is not possible to fit the end caps back on. Although I got them as a 'just in case' so for me thats not a big problem. It should also be possible to cut the base of the end-cap to make it fit OK - its only a plastic covering.

Quality wise they seem well made and clamp onto the rails well.

Will try and update this with some pics later on when I've had a play!

Thanks

S

Edited by SimonVespa

Very nice "hack"!

:thumbup:

Thanks!! I'm sure with a bit more care and a Dremel a much better finish could be achieved. Still not too bad given a penknife and a pair of pliers :giggle: Whatever option you choose your handy work is not visible once installed :notme:

S

Thanks for heads up Simon. Just purchased last set in Stockport !! They do look good quality in addition to a good price :)

There were only 2 sets in Wednesbury when the other half went in at 10ish today!! A popular item I would imagine given the price you can pay for some of them.

S

Here, they will be on sale only starting on next monday...

I hope to find at least one set last for my SM actually in a "making-in-progress" state (I hope...)

;)

• 11 months later...

The same bars are (again) at LIDL this week in Italy (34.90 Euro)...

I bought (and tried) them but are really too tight and I'm afraid to "loose" them on the way :(

especially the one on the front are a little shorter than the back one.

I think they'll return to LIDL on next days.

:S

The same bars are (again) at LIDL this week in Italy (34.90 Euro)...

I bought (and tried) them but are really too tight and I'm afraid to "loose" them on the way :(

especially the one on the front are a little shorter than the back one.

I think they'll return to LIDL on next days.

:S

Someone else already did this and found they were 1" too short!!!!! So he also took them back.

I bought these last year when they got mentioned on here and applied the same modification also mentioned on here thanks , as stated above they are a tight fit but on the holiday to new quay wales last year over 600 miles that week with a roofbox fully laden with bedding pushchair and cloths etc it stayed put after checking several times. However being a little bit of a worrier with mechanical things that are on the limit I gave them to a friend and now have bought the skoda ones which do cost more but fit so well it gives me piece of mind.

Peter

would that be the same as the Octavia estate - too small???

The packaging lists the bars as fitting the Octavia Estate and Scout so they should be OK.

The Yeti seems pretty wide across the roof bars. If the Lidl ones were just and inch or so longer they would fit properly. They do fit but the front one allows the locking mechaism inside the bars to drop off the end. It secures OK though. The rear one fits better as the roof bars are closer together at the back of the car.

I'll only be using these occasionally so they should be OK for what I have planned for them.

Edited by Shadowphax

• 1 month later...

Hi, thanks to Simon Vespa for the input, I fitted mine yesterday I suppose they could have done with being an inch longer but they are not supposed to stick out beyond the side of vehical anyway.

They are a good tight fit and certainly good enough to carry my Kayak.

The only bit I can add is to use a flat screwdriver to prise the end caps off as it's hard to remove them with just fingers.

Hi, thanks to Simon Vespa for the input, I fitted mine yesterday I suppose they could have done with being an inch longer but they are not supposed to stick out beyond the side of vehical anyway.

They are a good tight fit and certainly good enough to carry my Kayak.

The only bit I can add is to use a flat screwdriver to prise the end caps off as it's hard to remove them with just fingers.

I have contacted the maker in Italy, they are known as BRIO (120cm Bars) and BRIO XL (135cm Bars). They will sell a set of 135cm bars for Euro 20 + VAT and postage. I shall be ordering them soon.