Have you recently renewed insurance?

Kandy

As my renewal quote is taking the 'P' up from £230 to £400, after another blameless year etc., which companies are 'helpful' at the moment?

Non-modified, middlish-aged, 2003 TDI Octavia, comprehensive?

I'm after actual experience please, not suggestions to 'Go Compare' or phone around!

Got mine renewed with Aviva ,was with more than, £ 240 fully comp and protected bonus and legal , what mileage you do if you do low mileage like me <cycle everywhere> tell them, the go on an average mileage . I always move companies <extra 10%> an full no claims bonus :thumbup:

As my renewal quote is taking the 'P' up from £230 to £400, after another blameless year etc., which companies are 'helpful' at the moment?

Non-modified, middlish-aged, 2003 TDI Octavia, comprehensive?

I'm after actual experience please, not suggestions to 'Go Compare' or phone around!

Hi Kandy

The problem with other people's experience's is every ones is different, even to the point of next doors neighbour 's post code, so even if I had

a non modified 2003 Octivia TDI and was Middle aged, mine would be different to what you are quoted.

So the only true quote you can get is to phone round, giving your own details.

But your quote from 230 to 400 is quite a lot, there must be some reason if it is the same company as last year, although most company's will

try it on, so just phone up and say last years was XXX why is it now XXX and will usually drop it.

I believe there was some one on here a few weeks ago asking the same thing about others experiences, and was told the same thing about

phoning round

Radiotwo

Try Admiral (for price, if not the best follow up). Was about £300 cheaper than else where for me (£1,600 as opposed to £1,900 emoticon-0106-crying.gif).

Also, if you have >2 cars, it makes it a lot cheaper to do a multicar policy. Nearly havled the cost of my parents from ~£250 to £150 this way.

Thanks for the responses! I'll give those 2 suggestions a go.

RadioTwo, I know what you mean, but Insurance co.s tend to go in cycles as to what sort of business they are trying to attract - that's why it is useful to know who is currently actively and competitively taking on my type of risk.

There's no reason for the hike other than it is my second renewal with the same company(!) and the market is generally trying to force up prices substantially, and hence a lot of companies are refusing to premium match or negotiate come renewal.

I have just renewed my insurance. Skoda insurance was the cheapest at £255 including legal and only £100 XS. It might be worth giving them a try!

Grim

Thanks guys - plenty to go on. Seems 50+% renewal increases are the norm at the moment. A lot of people are in for a shock.

At least the poor old car passed the MOT again easily!

just got my fabia vrs and im payin £1300 for the year, 20 years old, 3 acciedents, 1 years no claims lol

think its not a bad price got insurance with admiral.

HAPPY just to get insured on the beast . . .like to add it blows my old 2000 polo gti off the roads BIG TIME

Got mine with LV, £119 fully comp for the Prius. Got the Mrs's with LV as well after shopping around the usual places LV came back cheapest after a phone call to ask if they could do better.

Just to throw my 2p in....

I've just (today) taken out a policy with Chris Knott.

I was with direct line who offered me a renewal quote of £1,080!!

Accepted a quote from CK for £660. Well worth trying them and they're good for beating other quotes.

22 y/o 3yrs no claims.

Rob

Swiftcover.com

beware of admin costs and if you change car.

I was with swift cover and I changed car 3 months after I paid them. My new car was a lower insurance group. They did not refund me the difference but charged me extra. I'm with LV now, much better customer service, uk call centre who you can get through all the time.

Edited by fabia55

mines due 28th june, i been with swiftcover for 2years and gonna renew with them again, quote is about £640. ive done the search ones and direct line and they are about 2 or 300 hundred off swiftcover.

There was only about £8 difference between LV and Swift. I went for LV, the £8 is well worth the better customer service and easy move.

edit: no admin charge when I told them that I was going to fit some alloys.

Edited by fabia55

I went with 'morethan' in the end, within £20 of last year's premium but with a bigger excess. Could well regret it if I have to claim. But fingers crossed.

I think LV and the RAC were best value for me, but I got sick of doing quotes and just bought the cheapest.

Swiftcover were more expensive than my renewal quote and their website was not performing well at all when I tried it.

Just to put my opinion in. I have been with Swiftcover for the last year, and will continue to be with them for another year. Their renewal quote was £100 less than any other quote I could find. I sent my details to Chris Knott 2 weeks ago, who have still not got back to me, except to say they'd received them, not a very good sign for me!

Swiftcover works for me - there's no admin fees, you make all the chanegs yourself online, but obviously by changing your details/circumstances you are liable to end up paying more or less - as the insurance has to fall in line. This has happened with me when I moved away from home - change of address and employment status, did it all myself online, and I can see that all the details are correct, which I much prefere rather than having somebody misinterpret something on the other end of the phone!

One problem with Swiftcover which you should be aware of is that they do not accept any modifications - except for radios and alloys (both up to £1000), so make sure you read up on accepted mods or speak to somebody if you decide you might mod your car in the next year.

I have no quibbles with Swiftcover and have managed to get somebody on the phone (UK call centre too - if that matters to you), which actually quite suprised me. To me they seem to be a fair company, and my renewal was cheaper than any other quote I can find which is most certainly pleasing! Just what I want to see after a years claim free driving!

Hope this helps!

Guest Lou G

Not so much advice, but I've just recently got a 1.4 Fabia 8v as my first car, I'm a 24 year old male living in a very high risk insurance area (N London) with Pass Plus. Which essentially means I pay £2000 for 10 months insurance with Admiral, but there's more....

That's 3rd party fire & theft!

That works out at around £50/week!

So although a bump of £160 is almost a 50% increase (and I'm sure you could get it cheaper elsewhere), I wish I were in your boots, even at £400!