those who bought 2WD , do you wish you bought 4WD ?

jamestay1

i'll be looking at the yeti in a year or so to buy.i would love to buy the 4X4 but due to high tax and insurance etc i want to buy the 2wd 1.2tsi......but

would i regret not buying the 4X4 ????

I have a 1.2 tsi 2wd. Would I like a 4x4 version? YES. Do I need a 4x4 version and the associated higher price and running costs? NO. Am I disappointed with my 1.2 2wd? NO.

If my budget for my next car is greater then I would consider a 4x4 Yeti. I occasionally have a slight feeling that my car looks like a 4x4 and so should really have 4x4. Bit like buying a sports car with a tiny engine; looks the part but doesn't deliver the goods, except that for all the reasons that most people buy a 2wd Yeti it does deliver the goods. Practical, safe, economical, stylish, well equipped. Great car.

Edited by shrub

I bought 4wd mainly to obtain the 140 hp diesel. Very pleased with my decision.

However, judging by many comments both on here and in the press, I have to say I also like the sound of the 2wd 1.2 DSG petrol. If setting out again to buy a Yeti, I would definitely give it a try before making a final decision.

Confused by your statement high tax and insurance; only marginal more expensive than the 2wd and one of the cheapest 4x4 to run on the market.

In reality it's down to how and where you intend to drive it. Drive mainly in towns or cities then little need for 4x4. If however your like myself and live in a more rural setting or spend a lot of time on the open road then it would be 4x4 as this set up is much more sure footed.

After having a Haldex 4x4 equipped main car I found it difficult to settle back with 2wd. Switched back to Haldex within 18 months and with the Yeti I'm on my third such equipped car.

Regards,

TP

i'll be looking at the yeti in a year or so to buy.i would love to buy the 4X4 but due to high tax and insurance etc i want to buy the 2wd 1.2tsi......but

i love my 1.2tsi cracking engine as for 4 wheel drive it depends on which part of the country you live in north 4x4 south 2x4 unless you go off roading. the amount of snow we normally get down here is not worth the extra 1k+ just stay at home although i found the 1.2tsi handled it well even on summer rubber may get some snow socks for next winter (for that odd day or 2 ) all the best with you decision hope to be able to welcome you to smoc in the future

Kitten and I wanted a 4x4 variant as we live 2 miles uphill from sea lever, and to offset ANY extra costs will be offset by us going from 2 cars down to 1.

During the snowy weather at the beginning of the year we were housebound for 3 days, and when we DID venture out we got stuck 200 yards from home and had to dig the snow out from under the wheels and it was BL**DY hard work.

So IF the snow ever returns and in all likelihood it will, we will be ready for it. :yes:

My brother and sister in law live in a semi-rural area so we can get to them if conditions are bleak. :D

i love my 1.2tsi cracking engine as for 4 wheel drive it depends on which part of the country you live in north 4x4 south 2x4 unless you go off roading. the amount of snow we normally get down here is not worth the extra 1k+ just stay at home although i found the 1.2tsi handled it well even on summer rubber may get some snow socks for next winter (for that odd day or 2 ) all the best with you decision hope to be able to welcome you to smoc in the future

Where we live, a 4x4 is virtually essential as the roads get gritted once a year. (twice last winter - it was so bad) I would not have coped without the potential to have all wheels driven. A second reason - the ditches!!! I have pulled three cars from the local drainage system when the drivers have put their set of powered wheels into the mire forgetting the rule to keep the driven bit dry! So 4x4 every time.

If I did live in town, I would go for 2x4 to reduce the fuel used in powering the extra drive train.

I have a 2wd 1.2 - very pleased with it.

I dont need 4wd. The winter prior to this we hardly got any frost, never mind snow.

Remember, 4wd does not manufacture traction - it optimises what is available.

Would be interesting to see a 2wd yeti on winter tyres against a 4wd on summer !

I was going to the dealer with all intention to buy a 2,0 TDI 110 2x4 Elegance. But then after the Drivethedeal discount realised I can afford a 4x4 140. Do I need it? No not really since I live in London, but since committing to it I realised I camp a lot and have been stuck in my A2 (in rain) so the extra bit of traction will be a bonus. AND I'm looking forward to all the possibilities it opens and to be able to go to some outdoor events (like mild green laning) that you can't do in a 2x4 Yeti. It just adds a new dimension to my outdoor activities (walking, mountain biking and kayaking). And since I will be buying it with a set of winter wheels, snow bound places like Switzerland, etc will also now be an option. The cost of four air tickets to Switzerland for one or two trips has already paid for the winter wheels. (Now I know the latter will also work on 2x4 Yetis, but the added confidence a 4x4 system gives me is reassuring.

Remember, 4wd does not manufacture traction - it optimises what is available.

Would be interesting to see a 2wd yeti on winter tyres against a 4wd on summer !

Very true statement - and I would put my money on the 2by with winter boots.

My recent day at driving school proven the standard summer tyres plum rotten at straight braking on packed snow simulation. Not bad in the curvy slidy bits, though. 4 wheel powered drift around the curves was quite fun.

I have a 1.2 tsi 2wd. Would I like a 4x4 version? YES. Do I need a 4x4 version and the associated higher price and running costs? NO. Am I disappointed with my 1.2 2wd? NO.

If my budget for my next car is greater then I would consider a 4x4 Yeti. I occasionally have a slight feeling that my car looks like a 4x4 and so should really have 4x4. Bit like buying a sports car with a tiny engine; looks the part but doesn't deliver the goods, except that for all the reasons that most people buy a 2wd Yeti it does deliver the goods. Practical, safe, economical, stylish, well equipped. Great car.

Totally agree Shrub, I'm going to put 4 season tyres on mine as the originals wear down, should do everything I need but ask me again after it snows.

Mark

We had the worst winter for 30 years here in Scotland. I asked a Skoda salesman how Yeti owners rated their cars performance in snow and ice. He said the 4WD owners were delighted with the traction and grip of their cars. 2WD diesel owners were surpringly happy with their cars performance. The weight of the diesel engine over the driving wheels gave them good traction. The 1.2 TSI owners were less happy with their cars traction in poor conditions, perhaps due to the lighter engine and the more revvy nature of the engine.

I lived in Braemar when the record lowest UK temperature was recorded. I had a 2WD Citroen with variable ground clearance and a Land Rover. The Citroen was surprisingly good in snow drifts with the suspension raised. The narrow tyres and smooth underside allowed it to make good progress in deep snow. The Land Rover had a ladder chassis which tended to dig into the top of snow drifts slowing it down and occasionally stranding it on top.

So for most road and farm track use, but not for snow more than 18cm deep, the 2WD diesel might be all you need. Advantages include lower cost, 5mpg more and slightly lower road tax.

in the past I've owned a 4x4, but when I got my first Octavia I went back to the 2 wheel drive option - I found it struggled pulling out of damp roads onto T junctions or roundabouts (probably the rubber, rather than the car).

So I swapped to the Scout, which never let me down in rain or snow it always had traction and got me down loads of snow covered tracks over the last two winters and over icey humped back bridges that everything was failing at!.

Even got me out my close when all the other cars were totally stuck earlier this year.

Along came the Yeti - first on the list was 4x4, then came the extras.

Performance - well a 170 Bhp engine doesnt struggle there

Fuel - I'm averaging 43Mpg (nearly as good as my 2 year old Scout)

Insurance - Its cheeper than the Scout 140Bhp Elegance to insure

Tax - think its about the same.

Do I regret going for a 4x4? nope not one little bit. Would I consider a 2x4 anytime soon - nope.

Having said that, its up to everybody to make the decision based on their family and work requirements, needs and driving preferences.

I live in the South East therefore 2WD and the extra ground clearance is all I need - I have a feeling that 2WD with winter tyres would be an ideal combination and one that my friends in northern Italy rely on during their much colder and severe winters. Besides in the South East even if you have 4WD you would most likely get stuch in a traffic jam behind people in their rear-wheeled drive BMWs and Mercedes etc.

Instead of spending the money on 4WD I spent it on the Elegance trim and a sunroof - both of which I use all of the time.

I am very happy with the 1.2 TSI engine, it suits the car very well and there is the benefit of lower tax, insurance, fuel and emmissions etc.

To expand on the Tax issue.

If you have a company car like I do the tax is a big issue. :doh:

I originally wanted to have the 140bhp SE, with its 4wd, as I really wanted the 4wd, but this is taxed at 23%.

I gave it a lot of thought and am expecting my 110bhp Elegance 2wd next week, this will be taxed at 19%.

The elegance with the smaller engine cost me about £50 less each month than the SE as the emissions are so much less.

(Clearly I could have gone for the 2wd SE and paid even less, but I fancied all the toys and leather seat!)

Had I been a higher rate taxpayer the cost differnce would have been a lot more

Edited by kenfowler3966

But it isn't the 4x4 element that increases the tax, but the additional cost of the vehicle. It would be the same increase if there was a further variant in 2x4 but with more "bling"

But it isn't the 4x4 element that increases the tax, but the additional cost of the vehicle. It would be the same increase if there was a further variant in 2x4 but with more "bling"

Car Tax / Road Fund Licence are banded on CO2 emissions - so a 2wd version of a vehicle with the same engine could end up in a different banding than a 4wd (less weight / drag from the extra running gear).

My dealer explained as I picked up my 2wd with Panaroof and spare that you couldn't order that combo now, as the extra weight pushes it into the next emissions band.

I was facing these dilemmas:

1) I wanted a 1.2 and they only do 2WD

2) If they did a 4WD version, the CO2 may increase, meaning more tax - and I wanted to reduce cost of running my car.

3) I did consider getting a 4WD but the cost of the car is too much and after testing the top spec 170 Elegance at the dealer, it is without question a very nice car, but it costs 23k and mine costs 13k.

I live in a city and I wouldn't think I would need 4WD, but I wanted it as I got stuck last year in the snow in a FWD car. I would recommend if you don't mind the extra tax etc, go for the 4WD, it would be a much more practical car if you live in the country.

The implication is that the 4x4 is somehow 'better' than the 2wd. If you actually need a 4wd rather than a 2wd then if you bought the former you may well have wished you'd bought the latter. In my case if I'd needed a 4wd I'd have bought one but if I'd bought a 4wd I probably would not have bought a yeti.

Do I wish I'd bought something other than a Yeti 2wd? Definitely.