ordering new vrs estate....

hi there,im looking to order a new vrs estate but im struggling to decide my optimum spec......i havent a fortune to spend on accessories,so i want to order just the items i shouldnt do without!

it will be candy white with tints and i will need a ipod connection and rear parking sensors but what else should i definitely include and why?

Good choice, had my VRS estate CR170 for 2 and a bit weeks now.

The VRS already comes with an Aux connection for connecting an ipod to the stereo. The MIDI connection has mixed reviews so not sure it is alot better than the Aux connection really. Also I objected to having to pay extra for the cable to connect the ipod.

As far as other options goes it really depends on what you want/need. Some will say Xenons are a must but for me they are an expensive extra I do not need (do not do a lot of night driving and what I do is mainly on street lit roads so feel Xenons are a waste). I liked the leather interior and heated seats so went for them myself but hardly essential. The auto lights/wipers and auto dimming rear mirror is a nice option and not a lot of money either. The wipers work well on auto, the lights are just a convienence and the mirror looks nice too (as well as stopping me getting dazzled). I also had the maxidot screen as I feel it does look nice in the dash (although hardly an essential).

Must orders would be a spare wheel. These are £50 and you only get a foam repair kit otherwise. Also mats are an option so if you want these you would need to order them (although some people say they have had them without ordering).

Edited by PSM

Regarding the Aux connection for the iPod does this mean the iPod will play but not charge and also only play when the iPod is started rather than via the stereo (Bolero)?

Yep with the aux connection you control everything (apart from volume) using the ipod and not the Bolero. It will also not charge the ipod. I used the Aux connection on my preFL vrs and will now be using it on my FL one too. The sound quality is good and I find no problems changing tracks using the ipod.

Reading a few things on here the Bolero control of the ipod using the MIDI system does not give you as much control as with the ipod itself.

DSG - its absolutely fantastic. I've never driven an automatic before my car and I have to say its fantastic, absolutley effortless to drive,great fun, and you have the ability to drop it into manual and use the flappy paddle gearshifter for manual control

Haven't got parking sensors, or maxidot or xeons, but the car is still the nuts, a wise choice your making my friend!!

Still thinking about retrofit maxidot and cruise, would also like to upgrade the Stream HU, personally I was just happy it had the jumbo box and 18" wheels, which iirc are now standard items. :thumbup:

I test drove the DSG and really did not like it. For me it would be the worst thing I could have opted for. It is also the reason I would not evben consider getting a Fabia VRS now either. But we are all different so glad you like it so much.

double good choice :D Ive just ordered the same in june. Ive gone for the same options as you and would also go with the spare, maxidot and lights/mirror/auto wipers as small cost extras. I really missed the dimming mirror when I went from my l&k to my current vrs so had to spec that.

Ive also gone for xenons but i do a lot of b road driving in the dark over the winter months so it will come in handy for me. oh and mdi too cos I always listen to the ipod rather than the radio.

I test drove the DSG and really did not like it. For me it would be the worst thing I could have opted for. It is also the reason I would not evben consider getting a Fabia VRS now either. But we are all different so glad you like it so much.

Careful what u say, the car u test drove is now my car LoL u are making a wise choice, I bought an ex demo p e and didn't pay for any of the extras, I have the black leather heated seats, sunset glass, maxidot, false boot floor, spare wheel, Mdi connection which charges my iPhone on the move, and of course DSG which is in my opinion the best gearbox ever!. The only thing it didn't have which was essential for me was front and rear parking sensors but the dealer fitted these for me, if I could only have 1 extra it would deffo be black leather heated seats, make the car look so much better inside!

rob

Careful what u say, the car u test drove is now my car LoL u are making a wise choice, I bought an ex demo p e and didn't pay for any of the extras, I have the black leather heated seats, sunset glass, maxidot, false boot floor, spare wheel, Mdi connection which charges my iPhone on the move, and of course DSG which is in my opinion the best gearbox ever!. The only thing it didn't have which was essential for me was front and rear parking sensors but the dealer fitted these for me, if I could only have 1 extra it would deffo be black leather heated seats, make the car look so much better inside!

rob

It was a nice car just the gearbox was not for me. Seeing the inside of it with the leather helped me make my mind up on the options I wanted for the one I ordered.

I'd say Maxidot, since it gives you a decent bit of punch for your pound! It'll allow you to make some basic vehicle settings changes as well as giving a nicer look to the cluster and other useful trip / mpg computer information. It also integrates with other extras you might choose to add extra (e.g. the Skoda sat nav or bluetooth).

The favourite option I went for has to be the heated seats. It gets chilly around here in winter, and they heat up within seconds, preventing the need to be blowing hot air (well...cold) about.

I'd say Maxidot, since it gives you a decent bit of punch for your pound! It'll allow you to make some basic vehicle settings changes as well as giving a nicer look to the cluster and other useful trip / mpg computer information. It also integrates with other extras you might choose to add extra (e.g. the Skoda sat nav or bluetooth).

The favourite option I went for has to be the heated seats. It gets chilly around here in winter, and they heat up within seconds, preventing the need to be blowing hot air (well...cold) about.

ok,maxidot is a definite then(i do love my gadgets) but i think ill stick with the aux connection as advised

.im not bothered about xenons as ill uprate the bulbs to phillips powerplus's anyway.

does anyone know what the 'towbar preparation 'involves?ill be towing a van occasionally,so will need a towbar......

ive had heated seats and a semi auto box on a new stilo abarth i bought few years ago.i loved the gearbox to death but the heated seats were little used........a dsg box will add to much to the price unfortunately tho...

Im sorry but I disagree with the previous comments on the mdi. Used the aux on my old car and using the mdi on my new vrs. The difference is night and day. You get full control over the iPod which is kept charged, also the sound quality is far better. If you can afford it, get it. I couldn't live without it. Alternatively, use and SD card. Heard good reports but not used it myself.

If you get the right plug for the aux connection (plugs in the base of the ipod instead of the headphone socket) then you should get the same sound quality you would from the MIDI interface.

Im sorry but I disagree with the previous comments on the mdi. Used the aux on my old car and using the mdi on my new vrs. The difference is night and day. You get full control over the iPod which is kept charged, also the sound quality is far better. If you can afford it, get it. I couldn't live without it. Alternatively, use and SD card. Heard good reports but not used it myself.

Couldn't agree more about the MDI - it's fantastic, especially when hooked to the MFD3, plus it gives the option (with a separate £20 connector lead) of using a huge portable USB hard drive

I'd certainly spec it in any future car I have :thumbup:

IMHO a spare wheel, and maxi-dot are a must haves.

Personally, I'd also say that paying the extra for black paint is money well spent ;)

The autolight/ wipers and dimming mirror are a good, cheap option.

Variable boot floor I find very handy, and it does cut down the road noise on an estate (not sure about on the hatch!)

Everything else is a personal choice, and one that you won't get all the money that you spend back come p/x time....... (if I remember correctly, its the same for just about any option)

J

[perhaps i will go for the alternative i pod connection!

re the towbar prep.....what does that entail,if its not actually installing a tow bar?

see a few posts on heated leather seats, if you order leather does it come with heated seats or is the order leather + the heated seats options?

As far as I am aware the tow bar prep gets the correct electronics etc to the rear of the car ready for a towbar but does not actually get you a towbar.

thanks for that....

off subject a little now,but does the bolero stereo have bluetooth as standard and if so is it capable of music streaming from a bluetooth source(although im more concerned with using it as a handsfree phone)?

The Bolero does not have bluetooth as standard. If getting a VRS the only way you can have bluetooth factory fitted is with a DSG gearbox. This is because you have to have the multifunction steering wheel and this is only available with DSG in the VRS spec. I think the other models can have a multifunction steering wheel with either manual or DSG gearboxes. Not sure about the music streaming but I do not think it does (but maybe completely wrong with this).

The Bolero does not have bluetooth as standard. If getting a VRS the only way you can have bluetooth factory fitted is with a DSG gearbox. This is because you have to have the multifunction steering wheel and this is only available with DSG in the VRS spec. I think the other models can have a multifunction steering wheel with either manual or DSG gearboxes. Not sure about the music streaming but I do not think it does (but maybe completely wrong with this).

thanks again...its no big deal anyway as ill just get a cheap earpiece.its not a work car and i dont get that many calls!

one final thing,does anyone have a vrs on skodas pcp scheme?........im considering taking out the maintenance package but wondered how much it works out at and whether its worth it?....ill be speaking to the dealer this week but would like to be for armed with some rough figures....