VRS Low Oil

Is it diesel or petrol? Your manual should tell you which oil to use. Though I'm sure some good chap on here will inform you.

Its a petrol. Thats how bad i am when it comes to these things!

I use the Halfrauds stuff, the one they recomend for VAG cars if i remember correctly its in a green bottle. i am sure i will be put right :giggle: but in my mind as long as its got to the VAG standard and its oil :thumbup::doh: it should be ok! mine used loads when new, but now doesnt use a drop. The halfords stuff when i was looking round was a fair bit cheaper too :)

VW504 oil for the petrol, VW 507 oil for the derv.

Halfords do their own, there is a castrol edge product, mobil 1 esp and I am sure many others.

They are just the same oil thought aren't they? Just a 5W 30 fully synthetic?

They are just the same oil thought aren't they? Just a 5W 30 fully synthetic?

No.

They must meet the VW504 (petrol) or VW507 (Derv) standard.

These oils are 5w-30 oils, however they have other things in them, such as being low ash (otherwise there will be DPF problems) and wear additives to stop injector/cam wear on PD engines.

Often the oils that meet VW507 are also VW504 oils, so that's handy.

Mobil1 5w-30 ESP is an oil that meets VW504 and VW507 (I know this from experience) but these oils are not the same as just any old 5w-30 oil.

No.

These oils are 5w-30 oils, however they have other things in them, such as being low ash (otherwise there will be DPF problems) and wear additives to stop injector/cam wear on PD engines.

Mobil1 5w-30 ESP is an oil that meets VW504 and VW507 (I know this from experience) but these oils are not the same as just any old 5w-30 oil.

Yeah thats what I meant - in regards to VW spec 5W 30 oils, most I have come across, Mobil, Castrol and Comma (Halfords) meet both 504 & 507 specs :thumbup:

No.

My petrol 1.8 needed oil after just 2,500 miles and the Skoda dealer told me that they use 5W-30 although they said that the 5W-40 that I used would be okay as a top up. I guessed wrongly that 5W-40 would be okay as the stupid manual only lists VAG 504 as this seemed logical to me.

I'm taking a litre of VW507.00 with me on holiday to France. Just in case the consumption goes up in the hot (hopefully) weather. Never found VW spec oils in any of the hypermarkets.

My dealer told me to use 0W40 oil, never even mentioned VW codes, only found out because of briskoda.

I use Halfords own, no problems, although I have used Castrol Edge too with no problems.

My petrol 1.8 needed oil after just 2,500 miles and the Skoda dealer told me that they use 5W-30 although they said that the 5W-40 that I used would be okay as a top up. I guessed wrongly that 5W-40 would be okay as the stupid manual only lists VAG 504 as this seemed logical to me.

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think it shouldn't be a massive issue as I think you can use up to 1/2 a litre of non spec oil for a top up.

Some supermarkets have offers on for the VW504/507 stuff and failing that most VW dealers sell quantum longlife III in 5L tubs.

You can then fill up the 1L tubs and and when from that and save a small fortune.

My dealer told me to use 0W40 oil, never even mentioned VW codes, only found out because of briskoda.

I use Halfords own, no problems, although I have used Castrol Edge too with no problems.

Halfords' oils are made by Castrol so it was probably pretty much the same stuff!

I'm taking a litre of VW507.00 with me on holiday to France. Just in case the consumption goes up in the hot (hopefully) weather. Never found VW spec oils in any of the hypermarkets.

ASDA sell Mobil #1 "esp" 5W-30 long life oil in 1 Liter and 5 Liter containers. 5 Liter is £32 . This oil meets VAG specs 504 &507.

i switched my car to fixed service , from variable and the dealer has put 10w40 semi synth in , i brought this up with the after sales manager and he said that is the right spec oil for my car on fixed servicing.

mine's the petrol vrs!

"All oil is the same - as long as it's 5w-30 and VW Specification"

Tough call to make really.

Surely this is the same as saying "All Super Unleaded is the same".

Or "Vpower - just the same as any other 99RON petrol available".

I use Shell Helix Ultra in my car.

Mainly because that is what was used by the garage when it last had a service, so I feel top-ups should be the same.

I guess in theory any 5w-30 VW Specification oil will be fine.

As to them all being the same - well on that I'm not sure.

I keep a Shell top up "kit"" in the boot, not had to use it yet mind. I keep a close eye on it cos if the oil warning light comes on, its normally too late :o

also, the VW oil spec varies depending on the cars servicing setup; ie variable or fixed.

You need to check the code on the data label (bottom left hand corner from memory) in the handbook to find out which set up your car is, think its QG1 for variable.

This will have another bearing on which oils you should and should not use.

Cheers,

Paul

also, the VW oil spec varies depending on the cars servicing setup; ie variable or fixed.

You need to check the code on the data label (bottom left hand corner from memory) in the handbook to find out which set up your car is, think its QG1 for variable.

This will have another bearing on which oils you should and should not use.

Cheers,

Paul

The 504 or 507 spec oils can also be used for fixed interval service as well as for variable service interval . So using this higher spec level oil it doesn't matter what service interval is setup. Just change it at whatever the service interval dictates ( or even earlier for long engine life).

Edited by vwcabriolet1971