Cambelt life

My cars first cambelt was done at 92500miles!

Im no where near prepared to leave the replacement thats slightly overdue at approx 61.5k i may add. Im not going to leave it much longer.

Can i expect a hefty price tag of £350 for a timing belt kit and waterpump, aswell as a coolant system flush to be performed on my car?

• 2 years later...

I eventually had the cambelt changed last November it had done 45000 miles 6/7 years old. You could definitely hear the belts or the bearings in the pulleys, I also had the water pump changed. It is quieter now.

The car still going strong....

My wifes Altea FR TDI PD has a change interval of 80,000 miles or 4 years.

+1 here. The bit I din't get is if Seat say 4yrs or 80k whichever comes 1st shouldn't this be pan VAG? I'm guessing it's a 'which ever comes.1st' scenario based on the average number of time the engine is started due to it stopping in the same common places each time as it comes up to compression on that particular cylinder. It's a no brainer for me as the possible alternative is too costly to risk IMO and over the life of the.car what's £300 in the grand scheme of things every 4 years - it's the equivelent of about one litre of diesel a week. Trouble is you've no real way of knowing how much longer after the recommended period it's going to last. Each to their own but I don't regret changing ours.

Concerned about some of the comments on here though, I really can't see any fun in playing cambelt roulette. Why push it just to see how far you can go without having it done?

It wasn't thru choice in my case, I'v recently bought the car from the first owner & despite having a full service record, he never had the belt replaced.

I was scared to drive the thing til I changed it!

• Like 1

People might think I'm loopy but I had my cambelt done at four years even though the car had only done around 25K miles, I managed to get a good price with a Skoda dealer and as I'd bought the car at three years old I would need to do it at some point in the car's life so may as well get it done sooner rather than later. My concern was there was no way to tell if the cambelt was on the way out and if it snapped it's a big repair bill so felt better getting it out of the way.

John

Last year I changed the 'Two' timing belts on my girlfriends 2003 1.4 16v Seat Arosa Sport with almost 60k on it. There was no record of it ever being changed, the belts looked in good condition when l took the inspection cover off at the cam sprockets but when I removed the belts and pinched them together they both showed signs of cracking so I was glad I did it.

We have had a member post on here that the cambelt has let go on their 2008 Diesel octavia after a dealer suggested that it will be fine and not need replacing. The car had less than 60K miles on the clock, and he is now in discussion with the dealer as to who will foot the bill.

The limit is set where it is, and current advice may not be what the service book states since they are subject to change. If the OP had followed the correct info and had the belt changed when they bought the car (it was due then) then the belt would not have failed.

• Like 1

We have had a member post on here that the cambelt has let go on their 2008 Diesel octavia after a dealer suggested that it will be fine and not need replacing. The car had less than 60K miles on the clock, and he is now in discussion with the dealer as to who will foot the bill.

The limit is set where it is, and current advice may not be what the service book states since they are subject to change. If the OP had followed the correct info and had the belt changed when they bought the car (it was due then) then the belt would not have failed.

You then have the diesels can go further than petrols debate

I had my '58 reg vRS CR170 belt checked by Skoda last June with ~60K miles showing, they suggested another year or so. I changed it recently, with the water pump, at 70K. Looking at the old belt, fine cracks were beginning to show in the valleys between the "teeth".

I have only ever owned one car that in time I owned it belt wanted changed, 2.0 HDi 406 (great car). We had an old 1905cc TD 406 that had hit 385K miles when odo went too died and was worth less than the cost of changing belt and pump so it was decided to just leave it and if it goes, it goes. Flipping thing did another 80K ish before sold at auction. 4 alternators where only real parts changed bar some bushes and track rod ends etc, belt done a good few times before the last bit of its life. Oh and about 2million H7 bulbs. What a taxi very well driven on original shocks and clutch, I couldn't have made it last that long.

• Like 1

One of the reasons why i opted out of buying the Fabia Vrs. The car had done just over 61k and the cambelt should have being changed at 60k, but it hadn't being done yet! I wasn't going to take the risk having a car that had a cambelt that could snap off on the motorway!

Edited by VRS-R

• 3 weeks later...

Hi y'all,

Just buying a 2.8 v6, and have insisted on the cambelt being replaced (04 plate 48k) before I collect

I'm a little suspicious cos when I asked the dealer how much he was paying for the replacement, having got a price from an indy @ £380 he said £150!

For sure the water pump will not be changed, genuine parts will not be used, will the tensioners be replaced?

The thing is there is a 3 month warranty with the car and if he does not do the job before delivery the warranty will not be valid

Any thoughts?

Edited by Azukx

Hi y'all,

Just buying a 2.8 v6, and have insisted on the cambelt being replaced (04 plate 48k) before I collect

I'm a little suspicious cos when I asked the dealer how much he was paying for the replacement, having got a price from an indy @ £380 he said £150!

For sure the water pump will not be changed, genuine parts will not be used, will the tensioners be replaced?

The thing is there is a 3 month warranty with the car and if he does not do the job before delivery the warranty will not be valid

Any thoughts?

My first thought is that (with a 2.8 V6) you must be buying a Superb, and your questions may be better answered in the Superb forum!

Hi y'all,

Any thoughts?

Unless thats £150 labour with him suppling the parts then id walk away,£380 sounds about right.