what speed?

jacko rs

This just a quick one,

I work in essex and travel down the m6 and get onto the a14 along the route there are a few speed cameras just before there is the national speed limit sign.

ok this obviously means 70mph why does every1 slam on the breaks down to 60????

and even when hit cambrige there is 8 mile of average speed check people do 60?

am i missin somthin or do people not know what the national speed limit is on a dual carriageway.

People are so paranoid about speed cameras, they tend to play it safe. Happens In Livingston when the safety van is on the dual carriageway (50 Limit In This Case). Everyone does 35 to 40 MPH :rofl: Also no-one will pull into the outside lane to let merging traffic out when the van is there. :dull:

Does anyone else play speed camera roulette?

You get stuck behind someone doing 35mph in a 50mph limit speed camera stretch. Once you've passed them, you know you can probably do 70mph for a while ... as long as your average is <50mph by the time you hit the other camera all will be well. Get it wrong and the plod sends you a letter reminding you your mental arithmetic should be better. :yes:

...as long as your average is <50mph by the time you hit the other camera all will be well.

I wondered if anyone ever trusts the 'average speed' function on their trip computer enough for this purpose. Not that I'd ever condone it of course, but it'd be a handy way of keeping track of your average speed in such situations - provided you reset it at each camera.

Agree with OP though, cameras seem to strike fear in to the hearts of some drivers! They forget everything else going on around them and concentrate on going in a straight line while concentrating on the their speedometer. For example, I find it rare to see anyone change lane on a dual carriageway if their passing a camera - even in lane 2 with nobody to their left, they'll wait until they've passed the white dashes on the road before thinking about moving back to lane 1.

Does anyone else play speed camera roulette?

You get stuck behind someone doing 35mph in a 50mph limit speed camera stretch. Once you've passed them, you know you can probably do 70mph for a while ... as long as your average is <50mph by the time you hit the other camera all will be well. Get it wrong and the plod sends you a letter reminding you your mental arithmetic should be better. :yes:

I bet some people might even hide their number plates behind Artics :D

Dean

The A14 between the M6 and A11 is a notorious area for speed cameras (especially around Cambridge), I tyhink people are wary because there are always cars getting flashed along there, maybe they just think they are very sensitive and play it safe rather than risk it. I just breeze through at 65, but then again Im never in that much of a hurry to get anywhere :giggle:

Edited by Rhoobarb

I bet some people might even hide their number plates behind Artics :D

Dean

IF you can - it's said you disappear off the system till the next camera ( on SPECS=AVERAGE ONES).I try it on Truvellos -get a truck between you and camera as you pass over lines -the truck's fireproof -he's got tacho to back him -so what's left -suspected faulty camera .Makes them spend a bit of cash on not needed repairs -and if they try to cash in on truck ,they'll soon back off if any publicity comes out that camera "could be wrong" .

I saw someone asking what I thought was a trick question on another forum and that was, what was the national speed limit on a dual carriageway for cars? It wasn't a trick question at all but I was surprised to see a lot of people incorrectly answered 60mph which explained why so many people slow down to 60mph for the speed cameras on NSL dual carriageway.

John

I saw someone asking what I thought was a trick question on another forum and that was, what was the national speed limit on a dual carriageway for cars? It wasn't a trick question at all but I was surprised to see a lot of people incorrectly answered 60mph which explained why so many people slow down to 60mph for the speed cameras on NSL dual carriageway.

John

Try asking it again ,this time change cars to vans ( or have a look at HC - )

Try asking it again ,this time change cars to vans ( or have a look at HC - )

I'm well aware non-CDVs over 2 tones have lower speed limits but that wasn't the point, I'd wondered for a while why people slowed down to 60mph in their cars in a 70mph limit and that forum topic demonstrated why.

John

As you are fully aware, the NSL for cars (without trailers or caravans) on Duel carriageways and Motorways in this country is 70mph. For single carriageways (except on IOM) is 60 mph.

As you know not all speedos are actuate. When traveling though these average speed checks, do you use the speedo or the GPS Sat nav to check speeds? I tend to now use GPS as it's more actuate. Also I would never trust the average speed on the trip, however I would use (If fitted) cruise control.

Edited by Jim H

I'm well aware non-CDVs over 2 tones have lower speed limits but that wasn't the point, I'd wondered for a while why people slowed down to 60mph in their cars in a 70mph limit and that forum topic demonstrated why.

John

John - as a fellow of Inverness - county - hello - nice to know that the limits for anything over 2T /not car derived are known .Problem is that cameras have a bad name - better to slow to a "speed that e won't get done ,than have to defend a speed just outside the limit . -So - the SO CALLED "safety CAMERA is not a safety one - but a tax collector -

I'm not really getting you here, there's no need to drop down ten miles below the speed limit to be on the safe side with cameras hence I think it's more likely from what I've seen people are dropping to 60mph because they incorrectly believe the limit is 60mph instead of 70mph rather than knowing it is indeed 70mph but slowing down excessively to 60mph.

John

they took them up on the m5 by kidi, duno y but yh people do it i stay around the exact speed as the speedo is 2mph out and then isnt there a 10% depending on the area/county. anyone play cop car roulette and overtake? their doing the speed limit you overtake a 2-3 mph over :giggle:

Cruise control FTW :yes:

I set mine at 54mph in the 50 average zone as I know that on my gps

that is actually 50mph dead on.

I'm not using it daily anymore since I am unemployed ( by choice btw...)

but there have been average speed cameras on my stretch of the M25

for the last two years and I haven't had a ticket yet...

When I bought my furby ( and before I found out retro fitted cruise is only around £180 :doh: )

I specifically wanted one with cruise for ths exact reason.

Licence preservation. :D I knew that with such massive midrange power (for a car in it's class..)

it woukd be really easy to slip over the speed limit without necessarily realising...

And when I'm driving somewhere unfamiliar its a real boon.

I'm thinking of having it fitted to Mrs Grrs SDI as she is on the motorway nearly all the time...

She often complains of leg ache and the car is so fuel efficient anyway that I'm not bothered about MPG..

I frequent the A14, especially the section covered by average speed cameras, I find its not the other motorists who 9 times out of 10 will move over if they're only doing 65 but the ******ing lorrys who insist on taking 3 miles to overtake another lorry so they can continue on 1 mph faster...

I frequent the A14, especially the section covered by average speed cameras, I find its not the other motorists who 9 times out of 10 will move over if they're only doing 65 but the ******ing lorrys who insist on taking 3 miles to overtake another lorry so they can continue on 1 mph faster...

Oh yes, that lot are annoying.

It works in all of Europe, so no overtaking during peak hours sounds like a good idea.

I saw lorries 3 abreast on a 3 lane m/way overtaking and it caused mayhem!

Cruise control is a godsend! I have to travel all over the UK, so frequently encounter average speed cameras (just recently a new lot has been put up at J19, M1). My odometer reads 5mph over so I can safely do 75 along the 70s, but I admit, I normally slow it down to 70 (really 65) and sit on CC during average speed cameras.

I am a bit nervous though, as not long ago I dodged points on my licence and attended a speed safety course. However, I can't attend another for 3 years! I wasnt to keep my licence clean! As frustrating as it is, I can understand why people dip 10mph down below a limit.

Interesting point though about NSLs for cars - at the SAC, everyone was asked what the NSL was for cars on a dual carriage way was. Only one guy and I were correct, everyone else thought it was 60, bar one who thought it was 50!

Cruise control is a godsend! I have to travel all over the UK, so frequently encounter average speed cameras (just recently a new lot has been put up at J19, M1). My odometer reads 5mph over so I can safely do 75 along the 70s, but I admit, I normally slow it down to 70 (really 65) and sit on CC during average speed cameras.

I am a bit nervous though, as not long ago I dodged points on my licence and attended a speed safety course. However, I can't attend another for 3 years! I wasnt to keep my licence clean! As frustrating as it is, I can understand why people dip 10mph down below a limit.

Interesting point though about NSLs for cars - at the SAC, everyone was asked what the NSL was for cars on a dual carriage way was. Only one guy and I were correct, everyone else thought it was 60, bar one who thought it was 50!

Is it right that if there is no central reservation then the NSL is only 60 mph on dual carriageways? I think my borther told me that this was the case, and I think he learnt it from speed awareness course... can't remember exactly where I heard it from though.

I'm sick to death of driving behind people who think that every speed camera is set at 30 despite the speed limit!!! Gets me really angry. I don't break the limit but driving 10-20mph below it for no good reason really gets on my nerves - it really shows peoples lack of concentration and observation :wall:

Is it right that if there is no central reservation then the NSL is only 60 mph on dual carriageways? I think my borther told me that this was the case, and I think he learnt it from speed awareness course... can't remember exactly where I heard it from though.

Correct - a "dual carriageway" without a central reservation is actually a two laned signle carriageway and carries a limit of 60.

I've noticed when in Scotland they tend to display the speed limit on the road signs in place of the NSL sign. Saves on confusion and I'm all for that :thumbup:

Correct - a "dual carriageway" without a central reservation is actually a two laned signle carriageway and carries a limit of 60.

I've noticed when in Scotland they tend to display the speed limit on the road signs in place of the NSL sign. Saves on confusion and I'm all for that :thumbup:

+1

I bet the Government isn't though, as whilst there is still confusion there is still the opportunity to catch out unfortunate people. Money money money!