Boot size

Yes it is, but the rear passengers suffer.

Not sure I agree. I have a Volvo V50 which is very similar in overall size to the Octavia Estate (being effectively a posh Focus Estate) and I think the Octy has more rear legroom and load space.

I had a quick look at the C5 but rejected it because it doesn't seem to be very roomy for passengers. Resale value also worse than Skoda.

The C5 has loads of leg room/space for passengers and a massive boot. I can easily sit behind my dad in his and we are both 6'4". The space behind me is a little limited in my Octy but still think it is reasonable considering the size of the car. I have been told by the dealer that the next Octy is going to be a little bit long. If they put this extra space for the rear passengers I think it would make it the almost perfect car. Even if it only gave an extra cm or two rear leg room it would make a huge difference.

The C5 has loads of leg room/space for passengers and a massive boot. I can easily sit behind my dad in his and we are both 6'4". The space behind me is a little limited in my Octy but still think it is reasonable considering the size of the car. I have been told by the dealer that the next Octy is going to be a little bit long. If they put this extra space for the rear passengers I think it would make it the almost perfect car. Even if it only gave an extra cm or two rear leg room it would make a huge difference.

Are you talking about the latest C5 that came out in the last couple of years? I set the drivers seat for myself (6' 2") and there was hardly room for me to get in the back. Even the salesperson said it was smaller inside than the older model C5 it replaced.

I went and ordered an Octavia the same day after the same test.

have you seen the size of a Jane Buggy folded? it's takes half the boot space! doesn't leave much room for anything else.

We have an XTS Twister pram which is similar to the Jane and store it in the boot of either our Octy Estate or the Fabia Estat. There's usually still plenty of room for day-to-day stuff but if we are going away and need extra space for a couple of suitcases etc. as well we take the wheels off and the pram frame then goes in vertically at the side with the wheels behind it against the hatch....

My dads is an 05 so sound slike it has changed a bit then!!!

Yes I was quite surprised because I was sure I'd been in an older C5 as a taxi and was impressed with the space.

Edited by juan27

I agree. The octavia has a bigger boot than its rivals (Focus, Golf, Astra, Megane, etc) And even bigger than some cars a class higher (Mondeo, Insignia, Avensis).

Total size with the seats folded down it looses. But overal it is bigger.

Also leg room is much better than the Golf, Astra, Focus, etc. I am 1m91 and I can comfortably sit "behind myself" in an Octavia.

I can not say the same for the Astra (old an new), Golf and Focus.

Furthermore the new C5 is smaller than the old one. The old one was huge. The new one more a lifestyle estate.

Yes it is, but the rear passengers suffer.

True, but on the assumption that your rear seat passenger is also the Jane buggy occupant I doubt you'll have much of an issue with rear legroom emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

True, but on the assumption that your rear seat passenger is also the Jane buggy occupant I doubt you'll have much of an issue with rear legroom emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

yes I am 4ft in height so I have my seat pratically on the dashboard there are no worries!

The Octavia really is class leading in terms of boot size. To put it in perspective, an Octavia has 580/1620L space, and is directly comparable to a Volvo V70 at 575/1600L - the V50 appears the more comparable car but is actually tiny in comparison at 417/1307L.

Incidentally, these figures are industry standard measurements, taken by stuffing the load space with 200 x 100 x 50mm blocks.

To significantly beat the Octavia's boot space (with seats up), you need to venture into the realms of a Merc E Class Estate!

BTW, the earlier quoted figure for the Passat Estate is incorrect - the correct figures are 513/1641L

I think the reason the Octavia Estate compares so favourably might be that as standard it doesn't have a flat load bay, and that extra depth is what kills the opposition. I can only assume they've taken the measurements on a model that doesn't have the optional false boot floor.

Edited by Phil_P

The Octavia really is class leading in terms of boot size. To put it in perspective, an Octavia has 580/1620L space, and is directly comparable to a Volvo V70 at 575/1600L - the V50 appears the more comparable car but is actually tiny in comparison at 417/1307L.

Incidentally, these figures are industry standard measurements, taken by stuffing the load space with 200 x 100 x 50mm blocks.

To significantly beat the Octavia's boot space (with seats up), you need to venture into the realms of a Merc E Class Estate!

BTW, the earlier quoted figure for the Passat Estate is incorrect - the correct figures are 513/1641L

I think the reason the Octavia Estate compares so favourably might be that as standard it doesn't have a flat load bay, and that extra depth is what kills the opposition. I can only assume they've taken the measurements on a model that doesn't have the optional false boot floor.

I think the V50 is more comparable in that its in the same Astra/Golf/Focus class as the Octavia. It just doesn't compare too well....at least load space wise!

• 2 years later...

Glad I came across this thread, even if a little dated.

Definitely made me want to stick with mk3 Mondeo estates.

If I go for an Octavia estate, I'll only be downgrading as in terms of

- seat down capacity - I'll be losing almost 300ltrs of capacity,

- in terms of engine - same PD engine as one of my Fabias which are not as good as everyone makes out, im sick of the timing issue. Mondeo IS bombproof. At over 200,000 miles its still running beautifully and also features timing chain and not a crappy belt as per the PD engine

- build quality - the Mondeo feels far superior

- comfort - once again, Mondeo is far superior in this section too.

I love my mk3 Mondeo and the only reason I would have changed it for an Octavia is because of the fuel economy but about 6mpg just wouldnt justify the loss of nearly 300ltrs of load space.

Sorry guys, Mondeo hands down for me

- When was the last time you actually had all the back seats down to carry a load.

- You haven't driven a 2.0 TDI PD have you.........In terms of power delivery it's on a different planet to the 1.9 PD never mind a 1.4 PD.....and will P*** over any Mk3 2.0 Diesel Mondeo in terms of performance.

- Timing chains are not without their (expensive) issues.

What a thread revival!

Glad I came across this thread, even if a little dated.

Definitely made me want to stick with mk3 Mondeo estates.

If I go for an Octavia estate, I'll only be downgrading as in terms of

- seat down capacity - I'll be losing almost 300ltrs of capacity,

- in terms of engine - same PD engine as one of my Fabias which are not as good as everyone makes out, im sick of the timing issue. Mondeo IS bombproof. At over 200,000 miles its still running beautifully and also features timing chain and not a crappy belt as per the PD engine

- build quality - the Mondeo feels far superior

- comfort - once again, Mondeo is far superior in this section too.

I love my mk3 Mondeo and the only reason I would have changed it for an Octavia is because of the fuel economy but about 6mpg just wouldnt justify the loss of nearly 300ltrs of load space.

Sorry guys, Mondeo hands down for me

I think that you are being unfair to the Octavia - the Mondeo is in a class of car at least one size larger - the direct Ford rival for the Octavia is the Focus. The Mondeo is an absolute barge and just huge. At the end of the day, if ultimate carrying capacity and passenger space is important than stick with your Mondeo. Personally, even with two teenage kids and a couple of Labradors, the Octy hatchback is a fine compromise for me. It just so happens that I wouldn't touch any Ford (with possibly the exception of a Transit) with a barge-pole as I find them to be horrible, overpriced, plasticky, roly-poly mediocre offerings. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that I would rather walk than go by Ford.

Previous cars for me have included a 2005 Vectra Estate - now that was a car with an enormous boot and acres of rear seat space. The Audi A6 that followed was just not in the same league, as the boot lid was more sloped and was not as usefully shaped. The Octy has less legroom for rear seat passengers, but I'm 6'3" and can fit behind myself - but it is also in a size class below either the Vectra, A6 or your Mondeo. Find me something in the Focus size range with a similar size boot & rear legroom as the Octavia and we'll talk more.

• Like 2

Agree with above post, how can you compare a car in a different size class in regards to space?

In terms of mondeo Chap, imo I think octy is far better in terms of build, interior spec. Octy is far superior. I've owned recently before my vectra a newish focus, decent car but was a little too small for a baby and other child. But octy is a class above.

I was purely looking for a size comparrisson and saw at the beginning of the thread that the mk3 Mondeo was being mentioned for its load space and was then being unfairly beaten up on here so felt that I needed to stick up for Ford on this one as I bet not many of you have actually had dealings with both.

- When was the last time you actually had all the back seats down to carry a load.

- You haven't driven a 2.0 TDI PD have you.........In terms of power delivery it's on a different planet to the 1.9 PD never mind a 1.4 PD.....and will P*** over any Mk3 2.0 Diesel Mondeo in terms of performance.

- Timing chains are not without their (expensive) issues.

Last time I had the seats down? More to the point, when was the last time I had the seats up!! They've been down for the last 3 years, since I bought the car!! It was bought for work, purely for its load space and carrying abilities. I wanted a van but also wanted comfort, and better all round running costs and obviously, a cheaper Severn crossing :bandit:

No, never driven a 2.0 TDI, never had the need to and power? If I was after a powerful car, surely I wouldnt have a 2001 Mondeo 2.0 TDDI estate would I?

I am well aware that my 1.4 tdi is maybe on par with my Mondeo's performance (give or take a little depending on engine revs, speed, gear, etc) and my 1.9 would definitely leave it standing but realistically, I need something that will carry heavy loads, lots of, over good distance and do all of this very often and comfortably. Once again, as already stated, Mondeo hands down for me. Hear that? FOR ME.

Timing chains, ok, maybe not faultless but far more reliable than a belt don't you think? When was the last time you replaced a snapped timing chain? And when was the last time you had to replace and engine due to a snapped belt?

I also vastly improved the weight carrying ability, body roll and just general handling by retrofitting self adjusting rear shocks off an ST estate coupled with heavy duty springs. Such a simple replacement but extremely effective. Well, I was pleased with the reults anyway.....

Above all, before you die hard VAG fans that would'nt ever have anything to do with one of those dirty nasty Ford things starts, note that this is not a dig at VAG so don't get upset. This is purely an experienced personal comparisson because I was almost tempted by Octavia estates :dull:

And when was the last time you had to replace and engine due to a snapped belt?

Never. I always change my cam belt at the prescribed interval. In principle chains are a better option........but it's not like the old days in OHV engines where the timing chain drives a single cam 6 inches away from the crankshaft......the modern chains are driving twin overhead cams and are long and prone to wear over time......and they are very costly to replace.....that's even before it slips/snaps.

It just so happens that I wouldn't touch any Ford with a barge-pole as I find them to be horrible, overpriced, plasticky, roly-poly mediocre offerings. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that I would rather walk than go by Ford.

I really couldn't have put it better myself........oh, I'd have added 'overrated' between 'overpriced' and 'plasticky'.

I'm not especially a VAG fan.....I own 2 at the moment, but in my time I have owned Mazda's, Rover's, Renault's, Chrysler's and Vauxhall's......but you'd never catch me in a Ford........had them as a hire car once or twice........hateful bloody cars, it's completely beyond me how they manage to sell so many of the things in the UK.

Edited by booke23

I don't get all the Ford complaints, good solid well built cars, that handle better than most of the competition! I have had a Cmax Mondeo Focus and Fiesta (all Zetecs). Very reliable and cheap to maintain. I moved to an Oct VRS as it combined practicality (medium sized car, boot size comparable to larger cars), fun and more kit for £££ (stingy kits levels is Fords problem imo). I would definitely buy a Skoda or a Ford again.

September 2009 i had a Mondeo one week and a Octavia for 2 after as hire cars for work I was normally driving a passat at the time. The following Feb work said do you want a Mondeo or Mazda 6 u need to change, I said NO but I would like an Octavia work sorted one out for me the boot space and car driving experience was far better than the ford. Just managed to get another Octavia this time estate was supposed to have ****roen C5 would never have another ford had mondeo once and once was enough.

Taken from Octavia Brochure Aug 2012

Hatch 585 litres seats up or 1455 litres seats down

Estate 605 litres seats up or 1655 litres seats down

I did not think an Extra £1300 for the estate was worth while for the extra 20 litres of storage space, and the seats down figures make no sense at all

but in the price range the octy has biggest boot for price bigger than many larger more expenive cars

its great not worrying if i can get all the cases or shopping in the boot :happy:

Edited by g0bgb

Well booke23, there's obviously no doubting that your not into Ford. For me, I've never had any major issues with any Ford I've ever had apart from the usual niggles as with all cars but in this case for my specific application, Skoda just couldn't cut it where the Mondeo does.

Even as a mechanic, I'd prefer the piece of mind of a chain as opposed to belt, even if changed within the required intervals.

As previously stated FOR ME its the Mondeo anyway and as it happens I'm just on my way to pick up a TDCI Zetec S estate as we speak.

Anyway, that's all have to say about that. It tends to get a bit silly when people try to argue about personal preference.

Bit silly to come on to a one make forum to say how poorly that make is compared your alternative choice.

I spent a few years working for one of the motor industry's big customers (US Govt) and was responsible for scrapping huge quantities of vehicles. Fords failed, mostly due to the engines which were worn out, almost every one by the 80,000 mile service life - due to poor design and poor materials. Compared to all the other yank vehicles they were rubbish, and yes I have worked for Ford UK too.

The rear suspension has a common ancestry, Lotus. I think they flogged it around other manufactures too.

As nickguzzi has mentioned, I think the main issue that people have taken umbrage with (myself included) is that you have come onto a Skoda forum, resurrected a thread that is almost 3 years old and then more or less slated the Octavia while praising the Mondeo as almost being God's own creation.

I'm all up for a healthy discussion and debate - it is one of the things that a forum excels at, and I am not trying to pretend that Skoda is the last word in automotive design & construction - in general I have a mediocre opinion of most of the VAG group products. Over the years I have been lucky enough to have extended use of many, many different vehicles, including a fair sprinkling of Fords. Unfortunately, I still maintain that, for me, the only Ford worth spending any money on would be a Transit. I find their cars horrible - but that is personal taste and there are others out there that love Ford.

If ultimate space is one of your main concerns, then an Octavia will not be suitable - but it is in the compact family car class. The Mondeo is huge, as is the Superb. Unfortunately for many estate aficionados, large practical estate cars are a dying bread that are being killed off by that most hideous of creations - the people carrier. :thumbdown: