Seat Belt Warning

Hi folks,

I've just taken delivery of a '56 plate Octavia Estate Elegance with just under 41,000 miles on the clock. It has a couple of nice add-ons in 17" alloys with lowered or sport suspension (can't quite tell which).

So far so good. One annoying thing though is the seat belt warning indicator and alarm. This intermittently sounds whilst driving, despite being fully belted in, and seems to be worse going round roundabouts. I asked the dealer to have it fixed before delivery, but it sounded on the first outing.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or what the fix might be? I'd like to be armed with the info before contacting the dealership.

The other fault is that the rear washer doesn't work, but if it's the same fault as with my '02 Fabia Estate then it's easily fixed.

Any help or pointers on the seat belt warning gratefully received.

Cheers,

Dave

Two quick thoughts:

1. Does it happen when you're alone in the car? If so, try fastening the front pass. belt to see if the warning still sounds. Could eliminate some possiblities.

2. Not sure about your model, but some cars have a sensor in the seat. If you put something eg shopping bag on the seat, the weight can trigger the alarm as it thinks someone is in the seat with no belt! This might explain the roundabout situation as any goods may be moving slightly over the sensor when you're turning.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Two quick thoughts:

1. Does it happen when you're alone in the car? If so, try fastening the front pass. belt to see if the warning still sounds. Could eliminate some possiblities.

2. Not sure about your model, but some cars have a sensor in the seat. If you put something eg shopping bag on the seat, the weight can trigger the alarm as it thinks someone is in the seat with no belt! This might explain the roundabout situation as any goods may be moving slightly over the sensor when you're turning.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Thanks for the thoughts. In answer to your points:

1) It happens when one or both front seatbelts are fastened.

2) I think my model only has a sensor for the drivers seat?

Does it sound more often when going over bumps? If so, it's probably a weak spring breaking a make to break contact in a belt buckle.

The belt warning itself may only be operative on the driver's seat.

It tends to sound more often when going round corners/roundabouts than going over bumps, although it can happen in those instances too. A quick tug of the seatbelt above the shoulder is usually enough to stop it. If anyone has a detailed knowledge of the mechanism I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Dave

It could just be a wiring issue with the sensor. Note, this is separate from the airbag activation system wiring, so don't panic!

Whereabouts are you (fill in that bit in your profile!) - a friendly member with VAG-COM/VCDS could do a diagnostic scan for you, which would pinpoint this issue I think.

You could of course just have the seatbelt chime disabled with the same diagnostic software mentioned, but you may feel this is rather more like treating the symptom the solving the actual problem! ;)

But if it's dealer bought, it should be their issue to solve. However, seeing as most don't know you can actually disable the chime and refuse to be told otherwise, being armed with some useful diagnostic results might be to your benefit.

Steve

Put both front seats forward, get in the back and reach under them, find the base of the fastener and follow the wire until you come to a clip, unclasp the wire from both and then you wont have any more chimes

Just to flesh out this thread a little, I bought the car from a dealership in Doncaster (Hayselden Skoda). I spotted the seat belt warning issue during the test drive (along with one or two other faults, which were addressed) and asked them to fix it before delivering the car to me in Aberdeenshire the following week. Obviously they haven't fixed it, or the work that they did to fix it has already failed (unlikely).

The "just ask the dealer to fix it properly" is exactly what I intend to do once I have a better idea of what is required. Them being in Doncaster, and me being in Aberdeenshire that might be a bit tricky, but since it was part of the formal agreement and is in black and white on the order form, they should agree to the work being done at their cost.

Whilst I could disconnect the wire, and/or have the seatbelt chime disabled via software as suggested in a couple of posts, I'd like to have the thing fixed properly as it should be!

Lastly, the car is covered by a 12 month skoda warranty, but this shouldn't form part of that agreement.

Cheers,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my Sept 05 Skoda octy. I bought it on ebay but asked a dealer to sort it at a service. I don't know what they did but it had no effec and they did tell me that disconnecting the wire, which can be accessed through a panel between the front seat and door, wouldn't affect the air bags or anything else. So I've disconnected it - problem solved. I've done plenty of miles without having to be told when seat belts aren't in use, and I'm not convinced they're needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my Sept 05 Skoda octy. I bought it on ebay but asked a dealer to sort it at a service. I don't know what they did but it had no effect and they did tell me that disconnecting the wire, which can be accessed through a panel between the front seat and door, wouldn't affect the air bags or anything else. So I've disconnected it - problem solved. I've done plenty of miles without having to be told when seat belts aren't in use, and I'm not convinced they're needed.

skodafyo - thanks for your post. I wasn't sure I understood it properly at first, and was resigned to having to get the garage to switch off the seat belt warning through VAG-COM (VCDS). However between reading your post and another one tonight (post #52 on this thread: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/51397-new-octavia-tips-and-tricks/page__hl__seatbelt__st__40), I then understood your instruction. I had a look under the driver's seat, found the panel you described, and eventually managed to disconnect the wire. Made sure it was the right one though (since I think that you do that the other one - yellow in my pics - is for the air bags). Here's some pics if anyone finds this thread and wants to follow my route to ding-ding free driving. :thumbup: Wardy (and others) - if you're still tracking this thread, what do you reckon?

The Panel

5069236528_4429b301b8.jpgPanel by dgmiller17, on Flickr

Before

5068631361_a0232fb1d9.jpgBefore by dgmiller17, on Flickr

After

5068635583_52d490a8f8.jpgAfter by dgmiller17, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes that is fine emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Surely switching off with VCDS is easier?! Your way will work but it will log fault codes, not that it'll affect anything though.

Not sure how you think it would be easier?

On some Octavia's recoding with VCDS does nothing - something Ross-Tech are aware of and have no idea why.

You will not get any fault codes by unplugging it (mine has been disconnected for 3 1/2 years)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2010-10-10 at 21:53, dgmiller17 said:

skodafyo - thanks for your post. I wasn't sure I understood it properly at first, and was resigned to having to get the garage to switch off the seat belt warning through VAG-COM (VCDS). However between reading your post and another one tonight (post #52 on this thread: http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/51397-new-octavia-tips-and-tricks/page__hl__seatbelt__st__40), I then understood your instruction. I had a look under the driver's seat, found the panel you described, and eventually managed to disconnect the wire. Made sure it was the right one though (since I think that you do that the other one - yellow in my pics - is for the air bags). Here's some pics if anyone finds this thread and wants to follow my route to ding-ding free driving. :thumbup: Wardy (and others) - if you're still tracking this thread, what do you reckon?

The Panel

Before

After

Cheers,

Dave

It worked .....thanks Dave :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi. Old thread, but I'm certain the problem is with the insides of the buckle clasp. Haven't had a look yet, but maybe it can be opened or at least replaced?

• 1 month later...

Yes, it is the buckle. You can tell because when it happens if you jiggle the buckle (or rather the bit on the belt that clips into it) it goes away. I replaced the stalk with the buckle and that fixed it.

• 6 months later...

this problem been plagueing me for a while (6-9 months), espcially bad if the car is warm, culminating in this past week

in the warning sounding almost constantly while driving.
Found that "blue wire/connector" as described above - peace & quiet at last, thanks!

Car is an 07 plate Octavia TDi.

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2010 at 21:53, dgmiller17 said:

The Panel

Before

After

Cheers,

Dave

Excellent - just drove from Sheffield to South London in (new to me) 2006 ... every stop returned the chime ... no more annoying backing track ... Many Thanks

Hi all 

As always I search the forum first to find any advice on fixing a problem. 
My Octavia 1.6 fsi L&K has the annoying seat belt warning chime on most of the time whilst driving. 

the wiring under my seat is different to Picture posted in the above thread .
Below is a picture of my seat

I plan to disconnect the blue/yellow wire connector, which looks to go from the seatbelt buckle.
Not the red/yellow wire connector. 

For those that read this thread,  let me know if I am right. 

thanks

E9FEF058-DABA-4D12-807D-C7FA0D45F4E9.jpeg

I sorted it and disconnected that blue/yellow lead and chime (bell alarm) is gone. Happy now 😊

here is a pic (red arrow pointing to lead) for those people who search in future 

43BBE370-C741-4ABF-9BDC-6582D5488080.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Ended up doing this myself today...   The chime doesn't seem to happen when ,y wife drives but for me in a big winter coat it was on almost constantly...   So the plug was pulled :biggrin: