DSG drive mode to keen on high gears

Hi

Been driving my 60 plate VRS 170CR DSG for a few weeks now and I am looking for your comments on the standard drive mode. To me it seems to be geared massively towards economy gearing, changing up gears when driving normally (not overly fast) to soon. I often find myself in 4/5 with the engine taking what seems like to long to pickup and accelerate. Interesteringly I drove a Passat CC with the same engine and gearbox this week and that seemed much better to drive holding onto the gears slightly longer than the Octavia making it generally easier to drive. Only difference was the Passat had 6000 miles on the clock and mine has 600.

Do your cars drive like this? To be honest I'm slightly disappointed with the DSG box at the moment.

Edited by danrp

The gearbox will adapt the more you drive it so don't panic.

The changes will come lower down if you have been pottering around on light throttle etc but give it some beans for a while and gradually they start getting further and further up.

Seriously? The DSG box self learns? Any idea how long this takes etc...

A few weeks and you've only done 600 miles? I've had mine 9 days and have done 600 miles :-) Your DSG has fallen asleep through lack of use :-).

It doesn't so much "learn" your driving style as constantly adapt. With mine (1.8TSi) I find that if I am trundling along in traffic using very gentle acceleration and slow throttle movements then it moves quickly up the gears, changing at 2000 rpm as you describe and rolling along on the flat in 7th gear at 1400 rpm. As soon as I start to press the pedal closer to the floor or use more rapid stabs on the throttle (as opposed to gentle squeezing) then it drops down 2 or 3 gears and holds on up into the 4000's before changing.

I've had one brief foray into sport mode but on seeing the revs rise well into the red zone when I pulled an overtake I decided to hold off until I have a few more miles on the clock.

The DSG box has fuzzie logic.

This gives it the ability to self program the shift pattern in accordance with the drivers mode.

So if the driver is an ambler, then the box will up shift as soon as practical.

However, should the reverse be the case then the box will hold onto a gear to ensure the maximum acceleration.

The change in shift pattern is not instantaneous but requires some little time to reprogram to learn the drivers changed mode.

to be fair I've not seen the point in using the S mode. D is fine for 90% of your driving, if I want a little more poke and control then flip it into flappy wobba wobba mode. As Ross said on a light throttle it will change up early, push a litttle more and it will hold the change for longer, put ya foot really down and everything becomes a blur! :p

The only use I have found for the "s" mode is for pulling away from rest.

i.e. it is simpler to pull the lever right back from park to sport, then snick forward one click to drive.

Otherwise iffen ye wanna hang onto the revs use the kickdown.

Cheers

M

Maybe diesels are different but my 1.8 TSi is a completely different animal in S mode!

In D if I push the throttle to the floor the DSG changes at 4000-4500 rpm - acceleration is pretty good

BUT

If I do the same in S mode the revs go all the way round to 6000-6500 before it changes.and the accelration is phenominal

To get the most out of the box you have to use Sport Mode and the paddles.

I use the paddles to shift down before an overtaking manouvre..Its quicker than kick down.

After a while you will get used to the box and will never want a manual again!!

To get the most out of the box you have to use Sport Mode and the paddles.

I use the paddles to shift down before an overtaking manouvre..Its quicker than kick down.

After a while you will get used to the box and will never want a manual again!!

Snap. :p