Cambelt change interval for 1.9 Tdi PD 105?

A work colleague recently took his 2.5 year old Octy 1.9Tdi PD 105 estate to be serviced at a Birmingham main dealer. He was informed his Octy's cambelt shoud be changed at 60,000 rather than the stipulated 80,000. The leasing company (HSBC) flatly approved to aurhorise the work, despite the fact they'll have to provide authorisation in another 8 months where the cost will be more than today due to the impending VAT increase!

Has anyone else been advised to have their Octy's cambelt changed at 60,000 rather than 80,000 miles?

My 1.9Tdi PD 105 Superb will be at 60,000 miles in another month, so I'll be interested to see if my normal dealer recommend the cambelt be changed.

Hi, I know this is cheaky asking you Techie1, but would you mind if I PM you with my chassis number to see if my cars cambelt (toothed belt?) should be changed in the next 3 to 4 months?

Thing is my 2007 (Jan) Claasic 1.9tdi , DSG estate was serviced 2 weeks ago with a 24 month (variable) and no mention was made by my local Skoda garage that my toothed belt or cambelt needed changing at the last service or soon !?

Only about 3 months till my car is 4 years old.

The car has done 31107 miles so far, but I live in Jersey (speed limited to 40mph) with 1 or 2 trips (max 2 weeks each) to the UK mainland or Eurrope per year.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

According to the service book for my 2009 1.9 PD its to be replaced at 150000 km (= 95000 miles)

however the main dealer replaced it after 75000 miles - but according to the book the tensioner wasnt changed..

There is no recommendation to change the tensioner or water pump EVER!

However the GOLF 1.9 TDi (same engine) recommends a timing belt every 60,000m and changing the tensioner at the SECOND timing belt change

Its 80k miles plus since 2004 on the PDs.

• 2 years later...

You should be getting the full kit for it which should include tensioners and rollers. Make sure they use genuine VAG kit too.

Phil

P.s. This makes me realise just how low our mileage is. 57 plate and just done 40,000 mile DSG oil and engine service.

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

You should be getting the full kit for it which should include tensioners and rollers. Make sure they use genuine VAG kit too.

Phil

P.s. This makes me realise just how low our mileage is. 57 plate and just done 40,000 mile DSG oil and engine service.

see now to me thats funny as i own a 1.9tdi 4x4 est clocking 128 k  and i figgerd that was good yours is super good

all the best anthoney

• 2 years later...

My 05 1.9tdi 105PD Mk2 has just done 120K miles. As I understand it the timing belt is due changing again, it was changed at 60K. Also all the bushes are worn so it won't get through it's MOT in October. Because of the cost  am gonna have to get rid, which is sad as I've had her from new and am quite fond of her.

22 minutes ago, wiilydog said:

How much have you been quoted for the work?

I haven't yet. I use a local independent garage for service etc. Last year the fly wheel went so that cost me. The car isn't worth a great deal now and I just don't want to be pouring money into it. 

With the timing belt due as well it's all stacking up.

Edited by Chris99t

Can't see it costing more than £350 for cambelt & water pump and say  £100 for the front console bushes (common wear items)  and in general they are very reliable cars.  Guess it depends how long you are planning to keep it further as probably need to keep it 3-4 years to get your money's worth out of the repairs.

What would you replace it with?

The cam belt is just a standard service item and bush/suspension arm work isn't too expensive. Also how would you manage to sell the car without doing the work without giving it away?

The 1.9 pd is barely run in at 120k miles and at that age will not be fitted with a DPF. If you like the car then keep it, you could easily buy something that is much much worse.

I had a similarish decision with my MKI Octavia when it was due a cambelt and the clutch was on its way out which overall really cost more than the car was worth. As I had owned it from new I went ahead.  A few years later it's still going strong and is 18 years old and now being run by my son - just sailed through it's MOT a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2