Winter is here how do you defrost ?

Hi,

Just thought id start a topic to find out what methods you guys use to defrost the car if you dont have access to a garage. I normally try and cover it but occasionally i cant. The climate control front heater seems to take ages.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

move to cyprus and not had to de ice it in 3 years.

used to press the magic button in my old focus in the uk.

our new fabia (1.6tdi 105 elegance hatch) will be waiting for us after xmas in the uk..

david

I pour hot water over the car and despite continual "You shouldn't do that you'll crack the windscreen" comments from neighbours I have never had a problem in about 20 years. Obviously, not boiling water from the kettle, a pan or bucket of water from the hot tap. Does the job in seconds and clears it all completely.

(Edit - I find de-icer sprays pretty rubbish but the best one I have used is the hand pumped one from Halfords - rather than the spray cans.)

Edited by PeteVRS

I start the car, turn up the heater and set it to demist setting (but no AC), turn on the heated mirrors and heated rear screen. Then out with the rubber scraper and run round all the windows. By that time, the screen should be clear on the inside, a wipe with a microfibre if it isn't and away we go :)

Less than 5 mins.

I feel that in very cold weather, letting the engine idle while you defrost the car will begin to warm up the engine itself and also the gearbox oil. I am talking less than 5 mins here, not letting it run for 20mins as some do :o

In the cold spell early this year, we saw temperatures down to -16C, the first time I've ever been that cold in the UK. I had the Hyundai Coupe at the time and it was so cold that the gearstick was stiff to move back to neutral. I once de-iced the car before starting it up, and drove off straight away. The gearshift was stiff for quite a while until the gearbox warmed up. Letting it idle for even 3mins helped that a lot!

In fact, for a car designed in a hot country, it was no problem at all in that super-cold weather. Except the ice that formed inside the rear spoiler... and then rattled around :rofl: ... and Toyo T1-R's are crap in the snow :S

I start the car, turn up the heater and set it to demist setting (but no AC), turn on the heated mirrors and heated rear screen. Then out with the rubber scraper and run round all the windows. By that time, the screen should be clear on the inside, a wipe with a microfibre if it isn't and away we go :)

Less than 5 mins.

that's a long time for me. it's less than 10 seconds for me after i've put the kettle until it's luke warm. run out the house with kettle.

If it's really cold I scrape with the car running using the air con to dry the air.

Normally just scrape and drive with the air on recirculate and AC then when clear AC off and air to normal.

If it's really cold I scrape with the car running using the air con to dry the air.

Normally just scrape and drive with the air on recirculate and AC then when clear AC off and air to normal.

if u have air con on and recirculate, does that damage anything,

also what happens if air con and heater are on both at the same time

I just stick my head out the window and let the snow blow into my face, wakes my up nicely and i don't even have to wash my face on a morning too :thumbup:

the snow just blows off after about 20 min of driving with the heaters on!

Nope, won't damage anything, it can clear the windows faster though.

If you run the AC with hot air, you'll get hot air with no moisture in it :) In other words, you can have the car warm without it getting stuffy and humid.

Particularly useful on a cold, wet day when you have the heater going and you windows steam up. Pop the AC on and you'll be toasty warm and the windows stay clear.

Edited by Mike Wrightson

i've been having the problem of windows steaming up in the cold weather so i'll try air con and heater on together. i've never tried it before but i should think the air con won't turn off when the heater is on. i know the air con turns off when the fan is off.

edit: does the heater use any power like the air con does. my dad tells me (in the mark 3 fiesta anyway) that the is already heat generated from the engine.

Edited by fabia55

Recirculate and air con will not harm the car. In the hand book it warns of driving for long periods of time with recirculation of air, In Australia they also warn about the risk of falling asleep when driving the car with the air con on, windows up and recirculating air - then again they drive hundreds of miles in one go.

From the manual "We recommend that you do not smoke in the vehicle when the recirculating air

mode is operating since the smoke which is drawn at the evaporator from the interior

of the vehicle forms deposits in the evaporator of the air conditioning system. This

produces a permanent odour when the Climatic is operating which can only be eliminated

through considerable effort and expense (replacement of compressor)"

"You should not leave recirculated air mode on over a longer period of time,

as “stale” air may result in fatigue in the driver and occupants, divert your

attention and also cause the windows to mist up. The risk of having an accident

increases. Switch recirculated air mode off as soon as the windows begin

misting up."

Just looked at the manual for the car and in the Fabia the AC only works if the outside air temp is +2 - opps diff Citroen.

From Manual "Climatic is a combined cooling and heating system with electronic

control of the convenience temperature in the vehicle interior. It makes

it possible to optimally control the air temperature at any season of the

year."

edit: does the heater use any power like the air con does. my dad tells me (in the mark 3 fiesta anyway) that the is already heat generated from the engine.

Heater doesn't use power, it gets it's heat from engine coolant pumped through the heater matrix behind the dash. That's why you don't get hot air for a few minutes after start-up, the coolant needs to heat up first.

Heater doesn't use power, it gets it's heat from engine coolant pumped through the heater matrix behind the dash. That's why you don't get hot air for a few minutes after start-up, the coolant needs to heat up first.

Whilst this is true in part and, indeed, using the heater may actually help the water in the system to cool more, better for the engine when hot... The FAN connected to the heating system, however, will take power, hence use more fuel!!

(It used to be an old trick in a car that had an overheating problem, to turn the heater and fan up full to take heat away from the lump, along with chucking eggs in the radiator, to help seal a small leak). B)

Sawdust in the gearbox, however, was a dodgy selling con!!!! :giggle:

I just start the engine, press the front screen button on the climate control and let it sort itself out. I was under the impression the VAG PD diesel engines had a supplementary electric heater for cold weather defrosting within the heater matrix. With this on, the rear screen, lights etc the load on the alternator certainly is reflective in the fuel consumption, and defrost is fairly brisk - quicker than my previous petrol Peugeot. I didn't miss starting the 504 diesel and defrosting at -12 last year!