Winter tyres are for softies..................discuss

Brimma

+3

People assume just because they have a modicum of skill and a relatively easy route to drive in the snow, everyone else is lacking in driving proficiency. The simple fact is there are roads that are impassible in RWD vehicle on standard tyres. My Winters are going on tomorrow and I feel all the safer for them too :)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I want more comfort at home, I go out and fullfill my likes (doesnt matter if it is a new reclining seat or a kitchen appliance).

If I want more safety when I work, I wear my gloves and goggles.

It makes life easier and less stressfull.

So do wintertyres. It will make driving a lot more comfortable and less stressfull and it will give you a lot more safety. Even if a road is going to be blocked by people not driving winter tyres, you will still be able to turn around and go another way. emoticon-0144-nod.gif

If you never experienced the difference, especially under the conditions that you need them, you will not be able to give the right comment. And with cars going ever faster and becoming ever heavier, the advantage of winter tyres will become bigger. (you wont need them that much under a 34Hp Panda 4x4, as you will need them under a M5)

Up to this year I have never bothered with winter tyres (having an Audi quattro made them largely unnecessary). However, last year I had my first FWD winter and boy was it a good one. Snow almost constant from just before xmas till end January. Our village didn't see a plough for 5 weeks!

Strange as it may seem, the snow was OK but when it got compacted and froze - I think even a quattro would have struggled. The wife's Octavia got stuck a few times where the traction control just gave up. With all the talk of council cuts I think we would be lucky to see a gritter or plough at all over the winter so I have invested in some Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip GW3's for my Fabia.

Not seen any snow yet but even in heavy, cold rain, they are most impressive. Wimp or not - I will be using these every winter from now on!

Edited by McTaff

Made my mind up today. Set of 'winters' for the Fabia. :thumbup:

Kwik Fit had a set of Continentals in for £508 :no: but they were 55 profile rather than 45 anyway.

Not really sure they are going to be clearing the arches when the car is loaded, so declined.

He's ringing their suppliers on Monday to see if they do a 45.

Michelin do apparently...for a cool £750! :o

Having seen frequent discussions on the topic here I have given this some consideration this year as the VRS looks on paper to be worse than its Seat Toledo predecessor, while both have similar engines the Octavia is on wider, lower profile tyres than the Toledo had. The Seat had always managed fine in the snow apart from the risk of bottoming out due to the low undertray, as it had managed to haul itself 200 miles over two high passes last year and back without getting stuck so never considered alternate options for it. When walking the dog yesterday I deliberately went up a higher walk to try the VRS out on some heavier snow to see if it could cope or not and it managed fine including a fairly steep uphill standing start so probably not going to bother with winter tyres. I don't tend to need to go anywhere particularly rural in the car and there's not that many times I've needed to drive on a decent amount of snow either.

John

Not driven in the UK with Winter tyres but have driven 100's of KMs in the Czech Republic in snow, on winter tyres. In the UK I would have needed a Land Rover on summer tyres but the cars I drove were all FWD hatchbacks, mainly a Golf Plus.

It's law over there to switch in November. I would liken driving on winter tyres in snow to driving in summer, on summer tyres, in heavy rain - you pay more attention, brake earlier but generally just go about your business as normal.

I am considering some for my 4x4 here, even though we don't get extreme snow in Cambs like other parts of the UK. I figure I'll get two, maybe three winters worth of use out of them. I am at an advantage with 4WD but that isn't going to help me with more grip to be able to stop or corner any better. The downside is cost, as mentioned by others but then again, a set is a similar price to my insurance excess...

BTW

There are jokers on Ebay selling full sets, part worn, with around 4-5mm tread. Be aware of these as the legal limit in CZ is 4mm and at least 3mm in other EU countries. In other words, they are just about worn out. UK Law doesn't stipulate a higher minimum limit on winter tyres AFAIK.

Question is as well, would there be any advantage in having winters on just the back? :D Only reason I ask is my new steels happen to be wrapped in 175/60 R16 winter rubber even though I only got them for using on drag strip due to width.

would there be any advantage in having winters on just the back? :D

Yes, for two reasons. First is that you wouldn't get the opportunity to delude yourself when conditions are very slippery, and second is that you'd be pretty assured that the back end won't be inadvertently slewing around.

I've ordered a full set of steel wheels and winter tyres for my Yeti. Still waiting delivery from my dealer. So you know where my sentiments lie in regard to them being for softies or not! But just having 4x4 (on presumably summer tyres) won't always work:

a9tqb5pnvm.jpg

cv12g5r99t.jpg

Got a pair of snow socks for my van today.

Seems most Vauhall dealers appear to be stockists, only the lad on parts wasn't actually aware of this initially, in fact when I went in to enquire last week, he hadn't got the foggiest what I was going on about.

Usual price, but obviously no postage involved.

Edited by Mr Ree

What people seem to be forgetting is that winter tyres are not particularly about the snow, they are actually more about the temperature. They work a lot better in all conditions i.e. dry, wet, ice, snow, etc....... as long as it's below a certain temperature.

You may think you are a winter god because you are running rainsports (as people who run them seem to think they are the best thing since sliced bread) but in the temperature we are experiencing right now a good set of winters will get you where you need to go. Plus they are much safer.

Lots of people say winters are a waste of time, but they are always the people who have never tried them and think they are just for use on snow.

I do not know of anyone who has tried winter tyres and then not used them every winter since.

Oh and to Mr Ree, I'm running Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's with 205/55/16's and my suspension is lowered 40mm. No rubbing for me, go for it :thumbup:

Well I drove the crawl home from the blackwall tunnel to sidcup at about 10 mph. I have to say I felt more comfortable last year driving my BMW330d manual than the vRS, the inability to put the car into 2nd gear to pull away isn't nice.

I've just fitted my snowsocks so when i leave for work at 0400 I'll find out just what they are like. I think I'll be saving for a set of winter wheels over the summer

Its been knackered because Bexley council haven't been gritting the roads

I figured as much as it was just sheet ice under the 5"ish of snow, that coupled up with idiots who have little idea of how to drive let alone on snow and ice made it horrendous.

Does anyone know of anywhere that sell the winter tyres for a ford transit 215-75-16 as i cannot find them any where,

Thanks in Advance

Mytyres.co.uk (i found them to be good) have 1 type in that size, not sure if they're big enough load index for a van though.

If 205 / 80's x 16 will go on (they should i think?) then there's tons of choice inc. reinforced tyres and a bit cheaper too.

Oh and to Mr Ree, I'm running Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D's with 205/55/16's and my suspension is lowered 40mm. No rubbing for me, go for it :thumbup:

That's ther size of the Continentals I've been offered for £508.

I know the Fabia was lowered by the previous owner, but I don't know by how much.

Kwik Fit told me they'd fit them to see if they look ok, but will NOT offer a refund if I drive down the road and find they rub.

£600 for a set of Michelins on a 45 profile.

Nowhere around here seems to be able to get 'winters at the moment it seems, apart from Kwik Fit that is.

Could really do with sorting this out in readiness for the trip up to Cumbria on Friday. Either that or the Jimny beckons....aggggggghh!

What people seem to be forgetting is that winter tyres are not particularly about the snow, they are actually more about the temperature. They work a lot better in all conditions i.e. dry, wet, ice, snow, etc....... as long as it's below a certain temperature.

You may think you are a winter god because you are running rainsports (as people who run them seem to think they are the best thing since sliced bread) but in the temperature we are experiencing right now a good set of winters will get you where you need to go. Plus they are much safer.

Lots of people say winters are a waste of time, but they are always the people who have never tried them and think they are just for use on snow.

I do not know of anyone who has tried winter tyres and then not used them every winter since.

I get the whole "winter tyres are for more than just snow", but seriously, whats the problem with just slowing down a bit?! I never remember my old man having to change to winter tyres every year and no tyre will stop you getting stuck in deep snow or grip on black ice, so at what point do they make them so good?

The people are probs using their winter tyres every winter trying to get some moneys worth out of them :rofl:

Matt

This is the first year I've had winter tyres and will be using them from now on. Last year there were occasions where my old Audi 80 was no more than a toboggan going down the hill from the village. I'm not doing that again!

Years ago (70's and 80's), I simply didn't go out if it was that bad.

I get the whole "winter tyres are for more than just snow", but seriously, whats the problem with just slowing down a bit?! I never remember my old man having to change to winter tyres every year and no tyre will stop you getting stuck in deep snow or grip on black ice, so at what point do they make them so good?

Matt

I think it's all down to experience. When I first drove on winter tyres, it was about -15 and sheet ice, negotiating the backroads of the Radhoštěm mountain area . I was going about 40km/h and it wasn't until I got overtaken by a bright blue Skoda Estelle (seriously, they are still everywhere in CZ :giggle: ) that I realised I should relax and be a bit more confident!

Trouble is I now have a heightened expectation of my car in the UK in the current weather, and it don't feel safe....even with 4x4...