Winter tyres are for softies..................discuss

Brimma

Except I need 16" wheels minimum to clear the brake calipers...

+1 :thumbup:

I think I've blown it for this year now, but all is not lost as my 'normal' tyres will need replacing fairly soon, so I think I may invest in a quality set of winter tyres and use them all year round!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Magic vRS Estate: Angel Tuning Remap - Pi -30mm Springs - Evoms V-flow Intake & Replacement Engine Cover - Blueflame De-cat - Power Flex Torque Insert - Colour Coded Grill - Skoda Motorsport Boot Spolier - Custom Badges - Automatic boot opening - Custom grille inserts

And you took the p*** out of me for putting that in my sig :giggle:

Dear oh deary me.

Do you work for the H & S executivive?

Sound like a governmant lecture for sheeples. :wonder:

I agree with Bimma i'm afraid. Getting around is a serious hassle without unneccessary cars on the road.

I went out this morning to fill up with diesel and only station open had one pump with Shell V power. No regular diesel.Seems to be a shortage.

Every car that went up my hill(is icy in the middle but at the bottom where i'm at theres 6-7 inches of snow) had issues except mine much to the surprise of several bystanders who were waiting me to fail and probably thinking haha its a Skoda.I can't praise winter tyres enough. Everyone should buy them

Well today I got my job canceled, so took a detour home via Winter Hill. It is quite a steep hill as you go up it and I think my Winter Vredestein Extremems cope almost as well as my previous Snowtrac 2s. Here's a few pictures of my car near the top. I would have taken some of Manchester while I was up there, but the poor little AA batteries in my camera were finished off by the cold emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

IMG_2189.jpg

Thats Manchester, 1,000ft down there in the mist

IMG_2190.jpg

The hill I just came up (it is steeper further down, honest)

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore

Got out for the first time today and the side roads were a nightmare! I am positive that without winter tyres this would have been impossible. That said, I am very impressed with the Fabia too, the engine braking is excellent and makes life a lot easier in these conditions. :)

Can highly recommend Goodyear Eagle Ultragrips!

Winter tyres? If you want a challenge you need rear wheel drive, normal tyres and a reverse uphill paralell park when you get home.

Been there, done that ................................................................and bought a Quattro emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Had 4 Marangoni Meteo winter tyers fitted on the Saab at Kwik Fit for £68 per corner (215/55H/R16's) at the end of October, glad I did now. Been driving in ice and snow all week around South Cumbria and the front wheels haven't spun once.

Scandinavian Car + Winter Tyers = as good as a 4x4 for me :thumbup:

Winter tyres? If you want a challenge you need rear wheel drive, normal tyres and a reverse uphill paralell park when you get home.

Been there tonight also in the BM I am borrowing off my step son - took an hour to dig the drive out so I could get onto it. :thumbdown:

So annoying when I have a set of winters sitting here, just no car to put them on!!

Ordered a set of 195/60/16 Winter tyres from mytyres.co.uk today, who are.... a German company but deliver to the local tyre fitter I always use anyway. £40 to be fitted...

Running 205/55/16 Avon ZV5's normally.

Nobody local had any winter tyres unless I wanted Conti's at £125 a corner, ironically from the same local fitter who couldn't supply anything else....?

Ordered "Achilles Winter 101" @ £260 .The price has gone up £8 per tyre since I ordered this morning as well.

Never heard of Achilles but they seem to have good reviews in other countries and have to be better than my Avon ZV5's in this weather, just have to wait upto a week for delivery...

Edited by modra_vrs

Ordered a set of 195/60/16 Winter tyres from mytyres.co.uk today, who are.... a German company but deliver to the local tyre fitter I always use anyway. £40 to be fitted...

Running 205/55/16 Avon ZV5's normally.

Nobody local had any winter tyres unless I wanted Conti's at £125 a corner, ironically from the same local fitter who couldn't supply anything else....?

Ordered "Achilles Winter 101" @ £260 .The price has gone up £8 per tyre since I ordered this morning as well.

Never heard of Achilles but they seem to have good reviews in other countries and have to be better than my Avon ZV5's in this weather, just have to wait upto a week for delivery...

You will have to keep us updated on the order, as there seem to be a few people having problems with orders from 'MyTyres'. :thumbup:

You will have to keep us updated on the order, as there seem to be a few people having problems with orders from 'MyTyres'. :thumbup:

ReallY? Got mine within 5 days as they promised. Were most helpful

Cant afford driving without winters, so I am a softie.

(doing 5000km a month)

But loving the Quattro traction in combination with the winter tyres. (Oops, quattro AND winters makes me more than a softie emoticon-0140-rofl.gif )