Fabia Vrs insurance price hike! RIPOFF

Buster

Hi guys,

Have any of you renewed your insurance this year with no changes in your details apart from the car being a year older (therefore less valuable), being a civil servant job with little or no business use, similar annual mileage and 1 years ADDITIONAL ncb, and noticed a massive hike in the price?? I live in Manchester, 9+yrs ncb, no convictions or points, 15yrs+ licence, no claim since summer 06, approx 18000 miles/yr. The renewal quote from Chris Knott has gone up to £1400 from the £550 I paid with them for the last year, for my 05 Fabia Vrs!

Now, I know that claim costs make prices go up a bit per year, but nearly 3 fold increase?! Other quotes are pushing a grand!

ANyone know why, and I would love to get an HONEST answer from the insurers on here, especially Chris Knott as I am far from impressed and why should I be ripped off??!!!

Regardless what verbal tripe they trot out with, as being all warm cuddly and 'here to help', they are most definately NOT.

Like banks, and supermarkets, they are not interested in ANYTHING other than squeezing as much out of us well drained and weary public as is absolutely possible.

Parasites and piranahs the lot of them. NO exceptions.

They are all p***ing in the same pot, hiking premiums up and up to obscene rates, knowing full well that you HAVE to be insured, no option.

Do not think for one moment that your loyalty counts either, as it's been proven over end over again, that loyalty means absolutely zero to these grimy money rich and grabbing companies, and if they can find any little ecuse for not paying out and offering help when you need it most, then rest assured, they will move the earth, heaven and hell to achieve it.

As stated, check out as many companies for a more reasonable quote, and take your business and hard earned elswhere, and do the same EVERY year.

"Quote me happy"?

Make me puke. :sick:

Edited by Mr Ree

ANyone know why, and I would love to get an HONEST answer from the insurers on here, especially Chris Knott as I am far from impressed and why should I be ripped off??!!!

The new grouping system has been fully adopted now, and some cars have been re-classified to reflect their risk more accurately. So while you may feel like you're being ripped off, what's actually happened is you've previously been getting insurance cheaper than you should have.

Mine went up from 470ish up to 800ish, plus 3 pages of new rules to protect them some more. Gutted.

Insurers I spoke to just blame it on being the rise in the claim culture we seem to be in at the moment, I thought that was what NCD's were for?

I would also say it could possibly be that VRS's are becoming more popular with the 'louts'. So become more of a risk to the insurers.

In effect you are paying being extorted for a service that you legally have to have, for them to squirm when you actually need it.

I dont condone driving with no insurance in any way, or even those that don't declare mods, upgrades, etc. as that also boosts everyone elses up, but can see why some people do.

Edited by Rhoobarb

Mine went up from 470ish up to 800ish, plus 3 pages of new rules to protect them some more. Gutted.

Insurers I spoke to just blame it on being the rise in the claim culture we seem to be in at the moment, I thought that was what NCD's were for?

I would also say it could possibly be that VRS's are becoming more popular with the 'louts'. So become more of a risk to the insurers.

In effect you are paying being extorted for a service that you legally have to have, for them to squirm when you actually need it.

I dont condone driving with no insurance in any way, or even those that don't declare mods, upgrades, etc. as that also boosts everyone elses up, but can see why some people do.

Blame everyone but themselves.

It's just pure greed that's all.

They want to start cutting back on unecessary expensive advertising for a start off.

Blame everyone but themselves.

It's just pure greed that's all.

They want to start cutting back on unecessary expensive advertising for a start off.

Another thing.

I deal with car body shops in my job.

I'm heartily sickened by the number of obvious false claims of damage that the insurance companies accept and authorise for repairs just because they can't be bothered arguing with these swindling customers that you and I are paying for.

Don't get me ranting about the great courtesy car swindles either.

Insurance companies even come below the tax man in the most hated list as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Mr Ree

aye before I bought the Octi last year got the prices sorted before I ordered all around 500 mark. Car arrived and went on current insurance with no problems usual admin charge. Come renewal it shot up to over £800! Had some crazy prices of upto £3000!!

At 32 I do not expect to get prices like that for what is a diesel estate :thumbdown: But the simple answer is most will try and get more money out of you, shop about and say you are leaving you will be surprised how quickly it will go back down!!

Also my NON fault claim has hit me hard........mental note do not get rear ended again!

Edited by polocoupe

aye before I bought the Octi last year got the prices sorted before I ordered all around 500 mark. Car arrived and went on current insurance with no problems usual admin charge. Come renewal it shot up to over £800! Had some crazy prices of upto £3000!!

At 32 I do not expect to get prices like that for what is a diesel estate :thumbdown: But the simple answer is most will try and get more money out of you, shop about and say you are leaving you will be surprised how quickly it will go back down!!

Also my NON fault claim has hit me hard........mental note do not get rear ended again!

Similar to me, I ordered the car last September and the quotes were around £460. When I picked up the car in January it was £680 and when I moved it went up again (may be something to do with the claim I'd made between taking out the policy (which it shouldn't) and moving to a higher risk area) but I know for certain I will be doing a hell of a lot of shopping round come January...

There was something about this on watchdog recently. Loads of people are getting 100% or more rises in motor insurance.

The last couple of years, i've had huge premium rises, done a comparethemarket, and ended up getting a better quote, from a sister company to my own insurance, and reinsuring with the same company for less than i was paying before.

Same thing happened on my home insurance, 70% rise, after a little research, i saved abotu 20% over last years premium.

The trend is very much up in big%, and come renewal a lot of companies won't price match any more, just say 'see ya'. In previous years it was always easy to better the renewal quote. This year I found it very hard indeed - as a near perfect low risk! Next year I suspect I will be digging deep.

Edited by Kandy

There was an article about this in autoexpress (november special). Personal injury is to blame for the increase and being faking accident to accept "cash payouts" which I'm guessing it what happened in my SAAB in 2008. I was rear ended and due to the age the insurance gave me £100 to cover my own repairs, which I accepted as I didn't want the car written off. I also had a personal claim but mine was not a fake one the accident did in fact compacted two discs in my back, to which even now I get back ache.

Another interesting point for the women on here, as part of the EU laws they are trying to ban insurance companies from charging women less. So women pay more and men pay more......................that helps us how??

I guess the idea is to then lower men's insurance to take account for this but the general view of insurance companies would be a massive no.........................cheers EU :thumbup: that would mean the discount I've got on my insurance for having my dear old mum and aunt (which works out to be an impressive £400 discount!!) will disapear :doh:

Another interesting point for the women on here, as part of the EU laws they are trying to ban insurance companies from charging women less.

Well, that'd just be stupid as it's ignoring that gender does play a significant part in assessing someone's risk...next thing you know they'll be wanting to stop "ageist" insurance policies which make it more expensive to insure younger drivers!

I work in the insurance market and because competitors have spent the last five years undercutting each other the bubble had to burst eventually.

Average increase in premiums this year across the car insurance market is 15%, drivers under 22yrs old have seen more like 35-60% increase.

Im 21yrs old and i used to own a mk3 mr2 roadster when i was nineteen. cost me £1400 insurance, i now have 2yrs more driving experience and an extra 1yr no claims bonus yet insurance on it would now cost £1620.

The youngsters have been hit REALLY hard with premium increases over the last nine months.

So if your like my dad is has always paid around £170 a year(we live in a good postcode) and is complaining that insurance now costs more like £210-£240 then your simply paying the going rate for insurance and your not hard done by

xxx

My insurance went up about £80 at renewal in November, but I've had 2 glass claims this year. Before I sold my Fabia vRS it was noticeably getting more expensive to insure- it used to be very cheap- and I think it must be due to the fact that it used to be cheap, so easier for high-risk drivers, so more crashes, so higher premiums.

The point about non-fault claims is interesting and true: I had a non-fault claim which pushed up my premium, and SWMBO's as well, as I'm a named driver.

My FORTIS car insurance jumped up by £200 when the renewal came through the letter-box from ONE CALL.

Funny thing is, when I went on Go-Compare, the same company more or less insured me as last year premium??, which I accepted.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I work in the insurance market and because competitors have spent the last five years undercutting each other the bubble had to burst eventually.

Average increase in premiums this year across the car insurance market is 15%, drivers under 22yrs old have seen more like 35-60% increase.

Im 21yrs old and i used to own a mk3 mr2 roadster when i was nineteen. cost me £1400 insurance, i now have 2yrs more driving experience and an extra 1yr no claims bonus yet insurance on it would now cost £1620.

The youngsters have been hit REALLY hard with premium increases over the last nine months.

So if your like my dad is has always paid around £170 a year(we live in a good postcode) and is complaining that insurance now costs more like £210-£240 then your simply paying the going rate for insurance and your not hard done by

xxx

The annoying fact is I'm paying as much now as I was when I had saxo vts when I was 21 to which I'm now 32 with no fault accidents on my record. I do feel sorry for youngsters as I was once one, insurance is the biggest con going iMHO.

The fact is you drive carefully, dont have an accident and you still get hit atleast they could do is keep it the same!

Giandougl - the same with admiral on one of the compare sites for me. Personally i think they just make the figure up.

Finally sorted, got a deal with LV as I'm with CSMA and also got home insurance with them (multi-buy discount). £718 all in! More tha last year, but easily best deal I could get. I do think insurance companies make the figure up TBH!

I'm in the random increase boat too

had my renewal come through and with an extra years NCB (up to 10 from 9) and my premium is up by over £100

time to get calling around :no: