Suitable Sat Nav

I've had my Fabia since Thursday and am delighted with it, but... I'm wondering what sat nav units people are using and how they arrange them given that the power socket is positioned next to the handbrake which makes for annoying trailing power cables?

Thanks

Matt

I've used a couple of different tomtom's, rest it on the bottom of the screen to the left of the the raised bit for the clocks. Then run the cable in the ridge between the clocks and centre vents then along to the socket. It is possible if you wanted to take the slack out of the cord by hooking it around some of the edges of the dash panel where it meets the centre console, but it's not a must.

well I have tom tom at the moment and it does what its suppose to do,but I have ordered my new fabia with in built adumson or some thing like that yes I know its £500 but its a treat this car when I get it!!,I have always wanted an inbuilt satnav it looks better and you dont have to worry about some chav breaking in to steal the satnav!!,I agree that it may be a bit overpriced but they do say they tend to be a little better quality?,tomtom will stay in the 1.4tdi 3 cylinder fabia(wifes) and I will have the crtdi 105 elegance with inbuilt satnav:giggle:

I have a Garmin which sticks to a disc that fixes to the top of the dash rather than the windscreen. I tend not to have it plugged in unless absolutely necessary plus the battery lasts for about 4 hours. I have a compass with a sucker on the bottom which I stick on the disc when the Garmin's not being used, this hides the fact that there may be a satnav about.

I have a Garmin which sticks to a disc that fixes to the top of the dash rather than the windscreen. I tend not to have it plugged in unless absolutely necessary plus the battery lasts for about 4 hours. I have a compass with a sucker on the bottom which I stick on the disc when the Garmin's not being used, this hides the fact that there may be a satnav about.

Yes but is the disc permenently on the dash!,therefore showing to everyone theres a satnav on-board,black disc on dash I have this on the superb2:wonder:

I also have a Tom Tom and have it mounted in the bottom centre of the windscreen.

I don’t find the cable a problem.

I have also had it mounted in this position in other makes of car I have owned

Its worth looking at the Tom Tom forum as several members have made adaptons and routed the cable behind the dash and into to fuse board My link

I don’t know if this is possible with the Fabia.

John

I use a Garmin on a Brodit clip, have been thinking for a while of shortening the power lead to make it a bit tidier maybe?

We've got Brodit clips in both our vehicles & its easy to change the Garmin around.

I hate cables laying haphazardly around a car and also have always had concerns about leaving a car unattended with evidence that a sat nav may be inside.

When I ordered my new Fabia I asked to have a power socket fitted inside the top glove box. When I do not need the sat nav everything hides away in the glove box and when the sat nav is deployed (bottom/centre of windscreen using a "sucker" mount) there is about six/ten inches of cable showing from the side of the glove box lid to the device, well out of the way of both driver and passenger. The power socket in the glove box is also really useful to charge a mobile phone unobtrusively when on the move - or in my case when the phone is the sat nav as well :)

Edited by frankistock

I hate cables laying haphazardly around a car and also have always had concerns about leaving a car unattended with evidence that a sat nav may be inside.

When I ordered my new Fabia I asked to have a power socket fitted inside the top glove box. When I do not need the sat nav everything hides away in the glove box and when the sat nav is deployed (bottom/centre of windscreen using a "sucker" mount) there is about six/ten inches of cable showing from the side of the glove box lid to the device, well out of the way of both driver and passenger. The power socket in the glove box is also really useful to charge a mobile phone unobtrusively when on the move - or in my case when the phone is the sat nav as well :)

What a good idea I may just fit a socket there myself.

As previous post, absolutely brilliant idea, why don't car manufacturers think about things like this when designing the interiors.

Well done Frankistock :thumbup::thumbup:

I have a Snooper and it goes on the windscreen so it sits just to the left of the "hump" around the instruments, that way the cable is (mostly) tucked down the side of the centre console and down the side of my seat so its quite unobtrusive. Good thing its quite a small unit too, just a shame the Furbies dash is soo bloomin deep, feels like you have to reach half a mile to get it into place!

Yes but is the disc permenently on the dash!,therefore showing to everyone theres a satnav on-board,black disc on dash I have this on the superb2:wonder:

If you read my post you'd see that I attach a compass to the disc when the satnav's not in use.

As previous post, absolutely brilliant idea, why don't car manufacturers think about things like this when designing the interiors.

Well done Frankistock :thumbup::thumbup:

They do.. Look inside the lower glovebox, to the rear.

There is a small plastic push out circle that should just be about right for an aux socket to be added! B)

If you read my post you'd see that I attach a compass to the disc when the satnav's not in use.

Sorry did'nt understand (attach a compass to the disc),so the disc is permanently stuck on dash but you stick a compass to it?,dont you think tea leafs would be flumuxed by this?,I have the disc I use it on the tomtom1,I have it in the superb2 on the dash I did'nt want all the phaff of taking it out and keeping it again so went for the inbuilt satnav so magically it works with the rear parking sensors tells you how close you are to the obsticle:rofl:

Sorry did'nt understand (attach a compass to the disc),so the disc is permanently stuck on dash but you stick a compass to it?,dont you think tea leafs would be flumuxed by this?,I have the disc I use it on the tomtom1,I have it in the superb2 on the dash I did'nt want all the phaff of taking it out and keeping it again so went for the inbuilt satnav so magically it works with the rear parking sensors tells you how close you are to the obsticle:rofl:

The idea is to flummox the would be thieves. The disc is obscured by the sucker on the bottom of the compass. It's one like this: Compass, which is hardly going to tempt a thief.

• 7 months later...

We've got Brodit clips in both our vehicles & its easy to change the Garmin around.

Apologies for reviving an old thread but would you mind sharing a pic of your brodit clip please?

I bought 653948 and was dissapointed (having had brodit clips previously) at the size of the gap it caused. I'm asking them if I can exchange for the A pillar clip instead. (653948)

Gap in my car:

Brodit_653948-excessive_gap.jpg

Gap in their installation photo:

653948-4.jpg