THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

But only have a choice of two tyres. Conti's & Vred's and only in 16".

I was looking at getting some Nokian's for it, but not sure what dimensions I should be looking for in the 16" sizes.

How much would the drop down to 16" affect the speedo reading by?

The size you want is 205/55 R16 91H, there's next to no difference in circumference between these, your 17s and the vrs' 18s so the speedo will read pretty much the same as before. Try www.mytyres.co.uk who have a few Nokians and can supply them fitted to a set of steel wheels, otherwise trawl ebay for some 2nd hand VAG alloys to put them on.

Edited by matt.will

Can anyone tell me if 16inch steel wheels of a vw transporter van are the correct fitment for vrs,been offered some at a good price but local tyre place gave me some waffel about them being to heavy and wheel nuts won't fit .

If they are off a T5 they won't fit. I know I have both. Different size bolts.

Cheers Matt.

I think the credit card will be getting a bashing shortly.

One final question what "J" do I need 6 or 6½? emoticon-0112-wondering.gif

both will fit but 6 if you want to use snow chains as well. 6.5 does not give enough safe clearance for chains

What is scary (and it did not affect me) is the price per tyre has risen by £20/ea in the last 2 weeks.

Now to get them fitted to the winter alloys and wait.

The tyres I bought in July for £68 are now £103. A quick google shows that prices are up everywhere.

I found a local mobile fitter that will swap all 4 onto my existing alloys, on my drive for £30 all in! (yes includes valve and balance)

22880871.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

51350726.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Web Ferret

Hi Guys, i am finding next to impossible sourcing a set of second hand wheels for my Vrs winter tyre set up.

However, i have found a set of Audi A3 16" wheels with the offset of et42 5 x 112 6.5j that will take 205/55/16 tyres.

Can anyone tell me if these will fit my Vrs hubs as they aren't exactly to the manufacturers specification of et 51.

Cheers

Niall

Hi Guys, i am finding next to impossible sourcing a set of second hand wheels for my Vrs winter tyre set up.

However, i have found a set of Audi A3 16" wheels with the offset of et42 5 x 112 6.5j that will take 205/55/16 tyres.

Can anyone tell me if these will fit my vRS hubs as they aren't exactly to the manufacturers specification of et 51.

Cheers

Niall

You should be OK.

Being ET42 (not ET51) means that they will sit 'outboard' of where your regular wheels do by 9mm. Have a look at the spec of your 16" steelie spare to compare as well.

I used to run 7.5J ET35 18s and 8J ET 42 18s with no issues.

Here's a link to a website you might find useful;- http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I'm now getting a headache with trying to choose which tyre!

I'm torn between Nokian WR A3's, Conti WinterContact TS830 or TS 830P or Goodyear Ultragrip 8 or Vredstein Snowtrac 3.

Can anyone help?

Have you got a pin? :giggle: (sorry feeling frivolous).

Seriously; I would suggest you'd be happy with any of these 4. What sort of mileage do you do and how relevant is price?

Personally I have a soft spot for the Vred having IMHO a good balance of performance and price.

I'm now getting a headache with trying to choose which tyre!

I'm torn between Nokian WR A3's, Conti WinterContact TS830 or TS 830P or Goodyear Ultragrip 8 or Vredstein Snowtrac 3.

Can anyone help?

Last year bought 4 x Continental TS830s for other half's A3 (wheels and tyres bought seperately) - based on the results of various tyre tests.

Last week had 4 x Goodyear Ultragrip 8s delivered for my Scout (complete wheels & tyres from Mytyres) - based on the fact Ultragrip 7+ were really good and tests and the 8s 'should' be better.

Always think you get what you pay for; but in this case think any would be fine, none are budget brands :thumbup:

Think previous advice as to type of driving you intend doing, and how much, is sound.

Have you got a pin? :giggle: (sorry feeling frivolous).

Seriously; I would suggest you'd be happy with any of these 4. What sort of mileage do you do and how relevant is price?

Personally I have a soft spot for the Vred having IMHO a good balance of performance and price.

I do around 5.5 - 6k a year, price is quite important. I'd probably go up to £650 max for tyres, rims & covers/caps if required.

I do around 5.5 - 6k a year, price is quite important. I'd probably go up to £650 max for tyres, rims & covers/caps if required.

In which case I'd hazard a guess that the Nokian or Vredesteien will be the cheapest and wholly suitable.

Mind you, just to throw a spanner in the works, with your annual mileage being on the low side perhaps a set of 'all season' tyres in your standard OE size would be a good bet.

It perhaps though depends on how essential your mileage is i.e. do you have to get to work whatever the weather?

It also depends on your style of driving e.g. I personally would not want all season tyres as I feel I'd be inclined to trash them in the summer and they would not quite produce enough grip in the winter.

Horses for courses?

I'm classed as a "Critical Worker" under government guidelines, so I have to get into work.

This is a one of those oddities, where if there's a fuel crisis, I can get priority at petrol stations & in severe weather I'm required to get in. So unless the roads are completely impassible I have to get in.

Living on the North Downs, I've got some pretty steep hills to go up & down, so winter tyres are becoming increasingly important.

As for style of driving...

Good weather: Quick, but safe

Bad weather: Constant evaluation, FOG - Foot Off Gas!, Ice/Snow - Forget time, I'll get there when I can. Floods - It's diversions left right & centre.

BTW does it make any difference if I have Sports Suspension? I've got it on mine, so will I need a different size?

I'm classed as a "Critical Worker" under government guidelines, so I have to get into work.

This is a one of those oddities, where if there's a fuel crisis, I can get priority at petrol stations & in severe weather I'm required to get in. So unless the roads are completely impassible I have to get in.

Living on the North Downs, I've got some pretty steep hills to go up & down, so winter tyres are becoming increasingly important.

As for style of driving...

Good weather: Quick, but safe

Bad weather: Constant evaluation, FOG - Foot Off Gas!, Ice/Snow - Forget time, I'll get there when I can. Floods - It's diversions left right & centre.

In which case you better get your credit card out for some Winter Tyres. Good luck. :thumbup:

Well the credit card's been out & well and truly bashed to the tune of £550.

I've ordered 4 x 16" steel wheels with Nokian WR A3 BSW's 205/55 R16 91H from mytyres.co.uk & I've also ordered some covers to cover up the steelies!

Now where's the bags of zip ties? :wonder:

I've also ordered some covers to cover up the steelies!

Skoda ones or plain? I wondered whether to get some but the Skoda ones seemed a little pricey after spending nearly £500 on the wheels and tyres.

Well the credit card's been out & well and truly bashed to the tune of £550.

I've ordered 4 x 16" steel wheels with Nokian WR A3 BSW's 205/55 R16 91H from mytyres.co.uk & I've also ordered some covers to cover up the steelies!

Now where's the bags of zip ties? :wonder:

I hope that wasn't your first purchase from mytyres if you paid by credit card as you will get am email in a few days to tell you your credit card wasn't accepted. What that actually means is mytyres won't accept your credit card as you're a new customer. They let me attempt to pay twice on credit card, both times I got an email to say it was rejected, and on the third attempt I got told their company policy was to only accept cash transfer or paypal from new customers. I told them to forget it, I like the assurances I get paying on credit card especially with companies I have never used before. Their phone operatives were also all foreign and really struggled to understand anything I said so I would of been amazed if I had have got the tyres I asked for. In my opinion mytyres are a shambles. In the end I ordered from Elite tyres where I was able to speak to a guy in their showroom and not a call centre, pay by credit card, and received the tyres I ordered in under two days. Cost me a few more quid but well worth it.

I hope that wasn't your first purchase from mytyres if you paid by credit card as you will get am email in a few days to tell you your credit card wasn't accepted. What that actually means is mytyres won't accept your credit card as you're a new customer. They let me attempt to pay twice on credit card, both times I got an email to say it was rejected, and on the third attempt I got told their company policy was to only accept cash transfer or paypal from new customers. I told them to forget it, I like the assurances I get paying on credit card especially with companies I have never used before. Their phone operatives were also all foreign and really struggled to understand anything I said so I would of been amazed if I had have got the tyres I asked for. In my opinion mytyres are a shambles. In the end I ordered from Elite tyres where I was able to speak to a guy in their showroom and not a call centre, pay by credit card, and received the tyres I ordered in under two days. Cost me a few more quid but well worth it.

I paid by credit card and was my first purchase and I received the wheels/tyres in 5days from order and no email as you suggest. Perhaps they have upgraded their card sales system since you used them.

I purchased a set of Nokian WR G2 for my Octy from pneusonline without difficulty using my credit card.

I then, again from pneusonline, purchased a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons for my Polo, using Paypal, and got an e-mail requesting I e-mail pneusonline a scan of a utility bill as proof of address!

Sent a snotty e-mail back telling them there was no way this would happen, and as a previous customer it was ridiculous to expect me to do so; send the tyres or I go elsewhere...

Tyres were duly sent. ;)

I've had an email from them, but that's only to confirm the order and that they will be delivered 8-14 working days time, nothing to say my credit card has been declined or the like.emoticon-0100-smile.gif

I think you'd be better off with steel rims, for the simple reason being if you do damage an alloy rim, it's going to cost you a lot more to either replace or repair than a steel one. :yes:

I was considering the alloy wheel "route" but when I mentioned it to a couple of work colleagues & my old man, they made that very point, so I went with the steel wheels & some covers.