THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

I'm totally confused. In AutoExpress Dunlop Winter SP5 is fifth place, when ADAC place them on first....wtf....

One of the tyre reviews mention that a specific tyre didn't do as well this year as less possibly because they dropped form a 17" wheel to a 16" wheel. 

One of the tyre reviews mention that a specific tyre didn't do as well this year as less possibly because they dropped form a 17" wheel to a 16" wheel. 

Hmmm then I'm even more confused - I have to see test exactly for my size 205x55x16 and ignore for 17" ones?

In case of ADAC - 16" are from 2015 winter test, 17" are from 2016 winter...

I can't answer that, but I have seen tyre tests report difference many times over wheel/tyre sizes. My guess is there are so many variables in these tests they should only be taken as a loose guide. The top few tyres are probably better than the bottom few tyres, but the positions within these groups is a movable feast. The Conti's and Nokians do seem to produce good test result regularly. 

With the exchange rate prices will only go up. I'm getting a set of Nokians direct from the UK importers who were about £2 more per tyre than the usual European online lot. They fitted for free or would have delivered Next Day, and their prices remained static throughout the winter. Excellent service. Will get my next set ASAP due to recent flash cra$h just in case. Think they did wheels too.

Jeeves I see you have mentioned several times about buying the Nokian Weatherproof direct from the UK importers. Is this Nordictyres.com? There doesn't seem to be an online shop though you have mentioned an online pricelist in the past. I had to go back to bridgestone A001 on the rear as I couldn't get the Nokians in time for the MOT but would like to try the Nokian after a trying the MIchelin Crossclimate (which I found OK but they seemed to  have less tread depth when new)

M

Yes. I went via their car website nordiccartyres.com but I think it's being redeveloped as it's linking to their main site. I dealt with Gordon there who reserved me the first Weatherproofs in my size last year when they were ordering their next container from Finland. He fitted the tyres for me too. They can also arrange fitting through their dealers but their head office/warehouse was just off the motorway.

Thank you Jeeves. I got an email from Gordon with the nearest Nokian Approved Dealer being 1h 40 minutes away so I shall have to do as usual order on line  and take them with my spare rims  to my local tyre fitter. Ideally I would want all the same make and model of tyre but as I have just got the BridgestoneA001 all weather on the back will put the Nokians on the front unless that is a big no-no?

M

Nordic offered to send them out overnight to me by courier for free or fit at theirs. I went for 4 as it's 4WD so patterns always match, but if you drive conscious that you've got different characteristics on the rear you should be OK. The Weatherproofs come out really well in the latest AE winter tyre review even though they're not strictly winters!

Yes. I went via their car website nordiccartyres.com but I think it's being redeveloped as it's linking to their main site. I dealt with Gordon there who reserved me the first Weatherproofs in my size last year when they were ordering their next container from Finland. He fitted the tyres for me too. They can also arrange fitting through their dealers but their head office/warehouse was just off the motorway.

Jeeves, many thanks for the heads up re Nordic Tyres.

Spoke to Gordon and he is getting me 4 x Nokian D4 Winter tyres fully fitted at a great price. ( fitting is free ! ) They are way cheaper than anyone else I tried.

Very helpful guy. So a wee trip down to Lockerbie and a pub lunch awaits.

Thanks again.

Jeeves, many thanks for the heads up re Nordic Tyres.

Spoke to Gordon and he is getting me 4 x Nokian D4 Winter tyres fully fitted at a great price. ( fitting is free ! ) They are way cheaper than anyone else I tried.

Very helpful guy. So a wee trip down to Lockerbie and a pub lunch awaits.

Thanks again.

No problem. I've been very pleased with my Weatherproofs so would strongly suggest you consider those too. The compound is just slightly harder than a winter tyre so they have a longer optimum window. Whilst last winter wasn't bad here compared to a few years ago, I experienced them in the snow and only removed them at the end of May as I wanted to abuse some off-road tyres to free up the wheels. Ideal for UK conditions if you're not throwing your car about. Perhaps choose Crossclimate if you are, but expect to pay more too. Unfortunately sizes aren't mirrored between those products.

What is your opinion (had a long fight w/ friends) - shall I buy two times Dayton Evo DW510 FR (with rim protection) every two years INSTEAD OF buying once per four years Continental TS860 or Dunlop WinterSport 5 (both w/ rim protection)?

In the beginning premiums will be better on wet and snow, but what happens after second season w/ them against normal branded tyre (btw part of Bridgestone group is Dayton).

• 2 weeks later...

Winter steel wheels on, off to get Nokian winters tomorrow. Wheels only 15" but they will do 'till I get a new set at some point.

IMG_20161101_145507066_HDR.jpg

Edited by fergiet

There's plenty of choice out there for wheels so make sure you get to choose from the complete range rather than being steered to a prescribed list of just a couple of options from your supplier.  Also make sure you get a set of  compatible locking bolts if they are aftermarket wheels.  The generally have conical bolts so fitting the original VW radiused locking bolts will not only damage your wheels, but also compromise safety.

Also if you make your supplier aware that you may want to fit snow chains (check your handbook on this) they will be obliged to sell you a solution that will accommodate them.  Otherwise it's too easy for them to take the easy route and sell you wheels that approximate to summer fitment.  If they don't understand or can't provide a solution i.e. they're trying to sell you what they can get easily rather than what you need or want (they're an investment over 2 or 3 sets of tyres after all and possibly more than one vehicle) then find a more professional supplier.  You'll also find them easier to sell on as a winter set when you move on.

You'll appreciate those new tyres assuming they don't suffer from the issues others have had.   If they've been stored and handled correctly i.e. not compromised, there should be no issue.

"There's plenty of choice out there for wheels so make sure you get to choose from the complete range rather than being steered to a prescribed list of just a couple of options from your supplier.  Also make sure you get a set of  compatible locking bolts if they are aftermarket wheels.  The generally have conical bolts so fitting the original VW radiused locking bolts will not only damage your wheels, but also compromise safety.

Also if you make your supplier aware that you may want to fit snow chains (check your handbook on this) they will be obliged to sell you a solution that will accommodate them.  Otherwise it's too easy for them to take the easy route and sell you wheels that approximate to summer fitment.  If they don't understand or can't provide a solution i.e. they're trying to sell you what they can get easily rather than what you need or want (they're an investment over 2 or 3 sets of tyres after all and possibly more than one vehicle) then find a more professional supplier.  You'll also find them easier to sell on as a winter set when you move on.

You'll appreciate those new tyres assuming they don't suffer from the issues others have had.   If they've been stored and handled correctly i.e. not compromised, there should be no issue."

Thanks for that. Sent you a PM reply.

Edited by fergiet

Fitted the winter wheels to the cars, wife's BMW 120D and my Octavia, last night. Neighbours thought I was crazy as I was doing it by torch light and making lots of noise with the rattle gun. Woke up this morning to a covering of snow, not very deep but still slippy and none of the roads in my area had been gritted, not even the bus routes, so the traffic has been chaotic.

I'm liking the Nokian winter tyres, feel just as good as the Bridgestones I had on last year. The 17 inch Zenith wheels they're fitted to look a damn sight better too than the 16" Vega I had on last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well for the first time I have bought some winter tyres. Have had them mounted on my existing Themistos so are 225x40x18 Goodyear Performance GEN-1.

Couldn't face the idea of steels for six months ruining the look of the car. Let's see how they go. They can stay on the rims at the end of winter as my wife has kindly bought me four brand new Themistos for my new summer tyres when the time comes.

Just hoping for a bit of snow and cold now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about to collect a new (to me)  2016 Octavia 3 SE L  2.0 TDI 

It has the zero cost optional 17" Teron wheels with 225 45 17 tyres - as many appear to.

In many respects I think I would have preferred 16" wheels (rough roads, potholes, torsion beam suspension etc) but will give the 17" wheels a good try rather than prejudge.

For winter tyres fairly set on getting a set of 16" wheels to run 205 55 16s as this is the standard shouldn't be an insurance or fit problem as 16" is still the standard fitment for this car - checked on Skoda UK Car Configurator tonight.

Anyone thinking  -'DON'T DO IT!'

Edited by Octy0GG

• 2 months later...

There are probably good deals to be had for next year if you go looking. There's still probably another month before they come off my car, but I haven't really needed them the last 2 winters.

On 11/02/2017 at 19:42, Granite66 said:

Folk given up on winters now I assume? Waste of money

Given up? No. All-seasons have come on a lot in the last couple of years and are an increasingly valid choice. One way or another, I have no intention of driving in winter without snowflake marked tyres.

Cost has always been a null argument, since you aren't wearing out both sets at once so each last twice as long.

• Like 1