THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

Afternoon, 

I am after some advice please on winters for a bog standard Fabia. The short list at the moment is:

• Another set of Conti 850s - like as they're on the Octy but pricey
  • Nokian W3s but a few reviews I've seen on Oponea suggest there is quite a bit of side wall wobble
  • Avon ice touring STs
  • Vredestein Snowtrac 3

Yes I am planning ahead :)

Thanks

Matt

The WR A3s are a little more spongy that the summer Dunlop SP01s I have just put back on, but running them at a slightly higher pressure more or less evened things out.

The usual advice for winter tyres is 0.2 bar above standard. I noticed after taking the Yeti on holiday last winter, with the tyre pressures set to load/speed 2.6/3.0 (front/rear) rather than 2.4/2.4 it handled much better. This time round I ran them at 2.5/2.8 and it improves handling considerably. As I do several longish runs on the motorway most months I prefer to have the pressures biased to the load/speed setting anyway.

Had WR D3's on my Yeti the last 2 winters no complaints, they handle snow, slush wet roads with ease and are even fine when the weather warms up. They get good reviews as well.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66645/winter-tyres-test-reviews-and-prices-2014

OK, will look at the Nokians and read up on the Snowtracs since I think somebody here wrote a glowing post about them.

Thank you

Matt

Do what i did, buy 16 inch rims, 4 x conti 850's and then watch the mildest Winter in history. Glad to be rid of the 18 inch rims though, we live in the country and they could not cope with potholes.

I have been using Snowtrac's for the past few years now with no issues I do around 1000 a week in all parts of the north of the UK.

I even ran them for a good part of last summer to finish them off and they were good in the warm and dry as well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Insurance Comment if it helps anyone....

This applies to Sheilas' Wheels: On the ABI website it says they need to be told if the winters are mounted on alloy wheels. This does not affect the premium if you are already on alloys, it is just a point of notification. Also, I asked if it made a difference that the OEM tyre size and Skoda recommended winter tyre size are different (since Skoda quote the tyre size needed for winter chain clearance). That does not matter, so long as it is one of the two sizes.*

*Their words to me but don't take this as gospel.

• 3 weeks later...

Just "upgrading" from a Octavia II Greenline to a Octavia III 1.6tdi SE and trying to find out if the existing winter wheels tyres will fit. They are 195 65 r 15 on 6j et 47 wheels. I've had a look at the TUV info on Skoda.de and Tyre size looks as if it allowed but the ET on the wheel is different (43). I assume this means I'd be better off buying a new set and selling the old set.

Just "upgrading" from a Octavia II Greenline to a Octavia III 1.6tdi SE and trying to find out if the existing winter wheels tyres will fit. They are 195 65 r 15 on 6j et 47 wheels. I've had a look at the TUV info on Skoda.de and Tyre size looks as if it allowed but the ET on the wheel is different (43). I assume this means I'd be better off buying a new set and selling the old set.

4mm in offset shouldn't make any difference.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think it would make much difference but I've noticed the O3 manual says;

Wheel size Depth (D) Tyre size
6J x 15a) 43 mm 195/65 R15
6J x 15a) 47 mm 195/65 R15
6J x 16b) 48 mm 205/55 R16
6J x 16b) 50 mm 205/55 R16
6J x 17b) 45 mm 205/50 R17
6J x 17b) 48 mm 205/50 R17

So it should be fine anyway!! 

• 2 months later...

And I'm done, went from Goodyear Efficientgrips on Trifids to Michelin Alpin A4's on steelies.

Now....time for iron-X! icon_lol.gif

eg46f4.jpg

And now we wait for them to dry out, and then a couple of coatings of wax and they can go to bed for the winter!

343iygz.jpg

Here is the article for easy reading:

Mild weather is causing drivers to shy away from fitting winter tyres despite research showing they are more effective in cold weather than summer tyres.

Research by Falken tyres shows drivers are not swapping to winter tyres in the same numbers as in recent years in the UK because of the mild weather we have experienced lately.

Some 20% of drivers questioned also said they would not switch to winter tyres at all because the UK's climate is not cold enough to justify the cost of a second set of tyres. A further 19% of drivers said they would refuse to change simply because swapping the tyres is a hassle.

Winter tyres offer more grip and safer braking at temperatures below 7C and remain effective up to temperatures of 20C.

Falken's UK director Matt Smith said: "The results surprised us, particularly the belief that the UK climate was sufficiently mild enough not to need cold weather tyres. Weather forecasts predict a very cold winter and consumers seem to have forgotten the conditions that caused travel disruption from just three or four years ago."

Mr Smith offered a solution to the cost of having summer and winter tyres and said: "Switching to an all-season tyre could well be the solution for Britain's drivers unwilling to commit to pure winter tyres. With many sizes on offer, it is often possible to find a tyre that fits the standard rims, eliminating the cost and hassle of having an extra set, solving another issue raised in the survey."

Here is the article for easy reading:

Thanks Chris R.

However, I quite liked the photo of the Golf in the snow /blizzard. 

Guess the Golf would have needed some of your detailing after that lot.

Edited by vrskeith

I only read a few comments in that article then stopped because I was afraid of catching the stupid.

Good point on why don't cars come with all seasons in the UK, since our climate is perfect for them.

Well all seasons are basically rubbish at either... that is why.  They are so-so summer tyres and so-so winter tyres. So you are not doing yourself a massive favour fitting them in my book. Yes, they are slightly better in winter than summers, but that is about the only gain you get from something as compromised as all season tyres.

I use dedicated sets, but for people who can't be bothered or don't know better, I do think all seasons make more sense. We don't get very hot summers or very harsh winters here.

True, of all countries in Europe to have a set of "compromised, not good at anything really" tyres, the UK is probably the best place to have such mediocre things on your car. So yes I agree. But only within the confines of that narrow band of mediocrity. By fitting all-season tyres you'll have longer braking distances in summer, slightly shorter ones in winter... take the associated risk of that (especially in summer) at your own peril.