THE Winter Tyres Thread

Niall

3 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

WARNING

Apparently a number of UK insurance companies now invalidate your policy if you fit tyres that are not same as originals.

Check your insurance before you buy smaller steel wheels and winter tyres

Which would be an interesting argument indeed for a car like mine (Octy Elegance TDi110). It has 205/55R16 as standard, but the pre-facelift SLXi TDI110 had 195/65R15 and Skoda themselves quote the 15s as an "approved size".

12 hours ago, xman said:

You mean different size I presume and not summer/all season/winter or different tyre make/model.

Impossible to enforce, if you buy a second hand car for instance, where previous owner changed them with insurance co blessing. Or indeed if your insurance co agrees, but then you change to another company on renewal.

If it's an approved size from the manufacturers list, can't see how they can invalidate.

I think by law they cannot invalidate the third party cover element unless the application was fraudulent, even so in limited circumstances.

I thought that this discussion had been put to rest around 2010. Insurances agreed to accept a tyre size that is o.k. for your car and do not charge extra. Summer and winter tyres are not really the insurances business as long as the tyres are legal.

They might pick a fight if you fit only 2 winter tyres to your drive wheels and keep 2 summer tyres on the other axle. This is a recipe for disaster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure I should venture onto this thread with CrossClimates (as not really "winter" tyres), but there isn't a pinned "all-season tyres thread" so here goes...

Anyway, I had 4 new CrossClimate+ tyres fitted at the weekend, and DSG eco-mode coasting seems to be subjectively worse on a known section of road- it slows down faster than before. So the funky tread pattern does seem to be sapping a little more energy?

Previously I had a mix of Crossclimates and Michelin Primacy tyres (which I'm guessing it may have had since new). Both front and rear were down to about 3mm and I also wanted rid of the mix of "pure summer" and "summer-with-a-hint-of-winter" tyres before we get too far into the winter.

I live in the Southern half of England and in the first winter I had them, I don't think the previous CrossClimates even saw snow, so I'm hoping it's a reasonable compromise for the weather they will see.

33 minutes ago, DavidY said:

Anyway, I had 4 new CrossClimate+ tyres fitted at the weekend, and DSG eco-mode coasting seems to be subjectively worse on a known section of road- it slows down faster than before. So the funky tread pattern does seem to be sapping a little more energy?

I've had to increase the tyre pressures slightly in my cross climates to keep even wear across the tyre width, above the value given in the filler cap for a not heavily laden car. Lower pressures would have a little more rolling resistance too I would think.

1 minute ago, amwphotos said:

I've had to increase the tyre pressures slightly in my cross climates to keep even wear across the tyre width, above the value given in the filler cap for a not heavily laden car. Lower pressures would have a little more rolling resistance too I would think.

Thanks for that.
The pressures are already slightly higher than where I had them before, I think. Although different enough that the TPM was complaining after a couple of journeys.

9 hours ago, amwphotos said:

I've had to increase the tyre pressures slightly in my cross climates to keep even wear across the tyre width

Yeah, there's nothing actually wrong with that, since tyre constructions vary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Living here on a steep exposed valley side I'm considering replacing the original Avon tyres on my 2016 Yeti SE L 2.0 Diesel the tyres are 225 50 R 17 91 T with all season tyres. I've tried contacting mytyres through their online enquiry form for advice but it keeps being rejected? Any suggestions please because I don't want to make an expensive mistake? 

Kind regards, Colin.

2 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Living here on a steep exposed valley side I'm considering replacing the original Avon tyres on my 2016 Yeti SE L 2.0 Diesel the tyres are 225 50 R 17 91 T with all season tyres. I've tried contacting mytyres through their online enquiry form for advice but it keeps being rejected? Any suggestions please because I don't want to make an expensive mistake? 

Kind regards, Colin.

Try these reviews, I would suggest sorting by reviews and buying the best tyres (at a sensible price), rather than poor tyres (whatever the price).  Generally tyres with good ratings and test results are the ones to go for, avoid anything with low ratings (as they might not keep you on the road).  

Obviously be wary when quantity of reviews is very small as can distort the ranking (but understandable if a brand new design)

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Search/Size/225-50-17/Season/All-Season/Order/Rating

Edited by SurreyJohn
Poor punctuation

Hi,

Many thanks SurreyJohn for your reply and link; I'll have a good look at the reviews. I couldn't agree with you more though and your comments about buying cheap/poor are bang on; I was looking at these earlier;

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=sjqSv0dodJwgAXr0.110.796719278&sowigan=Wi&Breite=225&Quer=55&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=E-B-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-378529

Before deciding though I thought it prudent to ask here first for suggestions from Yeti owners who have fitted all season tyres? In July I paid £150 for an OEM Avon to match the tyres already fitted after a puncture; expensive but what's money after an accident?

Kind regards, Colin.

8 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Many thanks SurreyJohn for your reply and link; I'll have a good look at the reviews. I couldn't agree with you more though and your comments about buying cheap/poor are bang on; I was looking at these earlier;

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=sjqSv0dodJwgAXr0.110.796719278&sowigan=Wi&Breite=225&Quer=55&Felge=17&Speed=&kategorie=6&tyre_for=&x_tyre_for=&rsmFahrzeugart=ALL&Label=E-B-72-2&details=Ordern&typ=R-378529

Before deciding though I thought it prudent to ask here first for suggestions from Yeti owners who have fitted all season tyres? In July I paid £150 for an OEM Avon to match the tyres already fitted after a puncture; expensive but what's money after an accident?

Kind regards, Colin.

Good choice, normally quite expensive, you might even get away with using all year (if you can live with bit of extra wear in high summer)

The size on your link is different to you quoted though, so double check size

I had the misfortune of finding one of my 8 month old Michelin CrossClimates completely flat on Saturday morning.  Found the hole which was nearly in the middle of the tread and after trying to re-inflate it I could hear the air rushing out.

It's about 3 miles to the tyre place I use so I decided to put the spare on which which is slightly smaller (205/16 as opposed to the standard 225/17) but under very light acceleration was setting off the TCS and lost grip very, very easily, especially as I was driving carefully due to running on the spare.  

It was also 2.5c so I guess the CCs to have a fair amount more grip in the cold than summer biased tyres.

11 hours ago, Fabcol said:

Hi,

Kind regards, Colin.

The 225x55 size in your link is not an approved size to fit a Yeti.

Hi,

Many thanks SurreyJohn; yes I'll double check that I'm buying the correct size tyres; I posted the link to illustrate the type of tyre I had been looking at just as an example; before deciding though I'm going to spend time looking at the reviews you kindly posted the link to; I do want to fit all season tyres now though before the weather really does turn wintry.

Thanks for the tip Russ77 I'll bear it in mind because our Yeti is equipped with a spare space saver wheel.

Thanks Kenny R; I appreciate you mentioning about the tyre size being incorrect; at the moment I'm shopping around and I obtained the correct tyre size from the documents supplied with the Yeti these being 225 50 R 17 91 T . I'm sure many car owners are now looking at their tyres with the onset of winter; tyre size and tyre type are critical for safe driving and I'll not take chances; I'm browsing the web for tyre prices but I intend to select the tyres after reading lots of reviews then ask around local tyre stations to see if they will price match? I'll post on here before actually buying the tyres.

Kind regards, Colin.

I have 4 Conti TS860S arriving soon for fitting to the 280 Superb. Not cheap finding decent 19s but these seem to be the pick of the bunch. Have dropped from 235 to 225 as they are still a valid fit and saved £100 a tyre.

• Like 2

Hi,

Thanks DBT85. I've spent this morning looking at lots of tyres to the point of confusion and frustration but I'm seriously interested in; 

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/list/4/225-50-17

I'm not too worried about cost and these are now the tyres I'd like after reading excellent  reviews; Michelin Cross Climate +XL.  £587.96 fitted and balanced.  Size 225/50 R17 V (98).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO0zyQh2l3M&t=18s

I'm posting here before ordering to allow for comments?

Good luck with your new tyres DBT85.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

Many thanks punyXpress for your information which I appreciate.

A few years ago Bron and I owned a Toyota Aygo (New) and we fitted a pair of Avon Ice Touring pattern tyres to the drive wheels (should be fitted to all wheels) money being tight and these recommended by mytyres. 

At first I was absolutely amazed; it's very hilly around here with lots of severe bends; with the new Avon's fitted I drove down to the lane and had to stop for temporary traffic lights; a single decker bus was coming down the steep hill very very slowly indeed the lane being covered in sheet ice; I let the bus pass by and thought I've no chance of driving up the lane; the Aygo went up as if on dry tarmac. Then it snowed and I needed to go up the lane again; the sides of the lane were littered with abandoned vehicles and lots of people were walking up the lane; once again I drove up the lane as if on dry tarmac; returning home down the lane I stopped at its steepest point and watched as other cars tried to come up the lane; they failed and each in turn rolled back into the side and were abandoned; I watched a young lady approaching and thought she's going to make it; almost reaching me her car suddenly spun facing the opposite direction; now I could drive slowly down holding my breath in case of a slide; the uphill cars had kindly left a gap at the junction up into our small private estate; I drove through the gap up the very steep incline and returned home safe and sound; boy was I impressed by these tyres. Putting the same tyres/wheels on again the second year they started to struggle a bit and the third year it was like driving on ordinary tyres; this is the only reason I decided to try Michelin; as yet still not bought.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

What is it about mobile phones; I seldom use my steam powered mobile phone which cost an whole fiver about 8 years ago  and never take incoming calls not even bothering to know its number and it's a pay as you go; I don't walk around with a mobile phone welded to my ear but now I want to place the tyre order valued at almost £600 with tyresonthedrive I'm blocked because I can't add a mobile phone number. GRRRRRRRRRR.

Kind regards, Colin.

@Fabcol  I used Avon Ice Touring over several winters on my KIA Picanto Automatic and they were great. 

That was when not using 4x4's etc with snow tyres etc. 

This was why i tried on Avon WV7 tyres on my daily drive this winter.  Last winter i had on Continental TS86O's.  

The Winter before Michelin CrossClimates and then Continental ContiSeal Winters.

I have a rubber fettish and tend to fit what works regardless of cost, tried most winter tyres or all seasons on various cars over each winter.

http://blackcircles.com  £143.50 x 4 = £574.   Buy 4 get £40 off, so £534. 

Michelin own Blackcircles,

as well as ATS Euromaster.

The thing about a Skoda Yeti is there is an endless choice of tyres & winter tyres available.

5a981884cecad_Burnsnightmorning019.JPG.eaf2544ef65b813683f1ec76726405ff.JPG

Edited by Skoffski
  • Like 1

Hi,

What great information Skoffski thank you. :smile:  I've just clicked on the link and tried a few times to order the tyres but after entering my Yeti registration number and postcode then hitting search it just freezes; I can't believe the problems I'm having trying to buy these tyres?  :wall:

Lovely picture and just like it gets here on the exposed valley side; our neighbour usually digs us out with his JCB bucket.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

I've been trying for the last hour to buy the four Michelin from blackcircles but am just frustrated. I've progressed to  getting a fitting time and day right up to the enter promotion code CC40 then no further the site freezes, I've just emailed blackcircles but a reply can take up to three days and with no phone number shown it's like joining hands to contact the dead. I'm retired and don't travel in bad weather only to our local supermarkets so at this rate a box of  grit and a small shovel in the back of the Yeti is looking the better option.

Kind regards, Colin.

An update. I've finally bought four;

MICHELIN 225/50 R17 98V CROSSCLIMATE+ XL

These are being fitted tomorrow on our driveway by "tyresonthedrive" no discount through a promotional code but I no longer care. Total price £587.96.  I gave up trying to order online because aged now 71 I don't think I'd live long enough to finally complete the order; Yorkshiremen are considered a tight lot regarding money but I've never struggled as much to part with money as I have in buying these tyres. I phoned from our landline and the guy at tyresonthedrive was simply brilliant. 

I had lots of trouble with both tyresonthedrive and blackcircles website ordering; tyresonthedrive requested a mobile phone number which stopped me dead because I don't use a mobile phone; blackcircles website kept freezing; tyresonthedrive though have a free 0800 number whereas blackcircles are secretive. I'll report back regarding the tyre fitting tomorrow. Saving a few pounds just isn't worth the hours spent in hassle and frustration.

Edited by Fabcol
Update.

Hi,

"tyresonthedrive" Just brilliant; I received an email early this morning to say fitting would be between 10:15 & 14:15.  A phone call at 11:55 saying be with us in five minutes. All finished by 13:10. The young guy couldn't have been better; polite; professional and hard working. I'm well pleased.

I still haven't yet received a reply to my email to blackcircles; in future I'll definitely use tyresonthedrive  even though they cost more due to no promotion code but their service is well worth it.  Our Yeti is looking like a Tonka Toy with these Michelins fitted.

Kind regards, Colin.

Hi,

I've finally received a reply this evening to the email I sent to blackcircles which is incredibly slow considering I gave them time before contacting tyresonthedrive who were rapid and fitted the tyres at midday today; I'm fed up of promotional codes and even loyalty cards; why can't we just buy things these days without this silly hassle; life is complicated enough?

Kind regards, Colin.

• 4 weeks later...