Bit of help with turbo upgrade.

Guest BigJase88

anything can fit well maybe not anything

i have a hybrid vnt20... requires custom manifold and oil feed....

don't actually know what its off 2.5l tdi / 3.0l tdi

Just scouted about, very similar topic on SCN, found the following;

"PD 130 and 150 turbos have the same size compressor and turbine wheels just different housing, manifold and bolt pattern design."

Matt

the trouble is:

when they are bolted on, both VA and VB look exactly the same...

...if you take the turbo intake pipe off, the diameter of the compressor inlet (=inducer) is bigger in VB.

Same way, turbine outlet or exducer is bigger in VB

:S

I'd just go to Unit18 and drive home with a hybrid turbo fitted and a decent map :thumbup:

Edited by andypandypoos

... Thanks jase.

Just adds more to the equation haha.

Uh...

Might opt for unit 18 remap package inc. egr delete, remap and hybrid supply and fit.

But then need to get new clutch etc.

Fun emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Maybe the torque can be limited to 300lb/ft but around 200 - 220bhp? Then the clutch might last 100k?

Guest BigJase88

yes torque map and bhp map are independant

in my stage 2 fabia it had next to no low down torque (spike-bad)

it was high in the rev range so was clutch friendly

Hmm.

So opting for the pd150 hybrid, map and egr delete from unit 18 sounds good?

Ive been quoted £900 for the hybrid so... :)

Or unit 18 offer a stage 2 150 for 1400...

Might just take the crunch. Get it limited. Then travel back for remap and more tourque etc once funds allow FMIC and clutch.

Expensive time of year :)

yes torque map and bhp map are independant

in my stage 2 fabia it had next to no low down torque (spike-bad)

it was high in the rev range so was clutch friendly

yeah, but you can't reduce torque at a given engine speed without also reducing bhp. next to no low down torque means naff all bhp low down :(

Guest BigJase88

yeah, but you can't reduce torque at a given engine speed without also reducing bhp. next to no low down torque means naff all bhp low down :(

why would you want max bhp at 2k rpm anyways?

my stage 2 vrs had no nasty clutch / tire shredding peak low down torque, was gradual until 3k where it just took off was like a disel version of vtec

Edited by BigJase88

why would you want max bhp at 2k rpm anyways?

my stage 2 vrs had no nasty clutch / tire shredding peak low down torque, was gradual until 3k where it just took off was like a disel version of vtec

:) Sounds like what i want.

and just found a picture when you had the hybrid badge on the back :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

i also have a standard vrs and want an upgrade, do i get a remap so its running on about 180bhp then put a pd 150 so it runs better or can i upgrade turbo without remap ?

Upgrade turbo then remap, although you could run a PD150 turbo on standard map.

Wouldn't make any more power though.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The MDX376 with a billet compressor wheel is a nice turbo. They say to limit the boost to 1.8 - 1.9 Bar but countless people run more than this.

At 2.1 bar of boost you "should" see 230+ bhp with awesome driveability and no breathless feeling you get with the standard tiny OE KKK 130 turbo. And depending on the mapping the torque curve should be nice and linear with no massive DMF/Clutch destroying spikes.

• 1 year later...

So if a kkk pd130 is hybridised does that make it a better or stronger unit as I know the kkk models are supposed to be the weak point, or better to go Garrett ?

Consensus is that Honeywell (Garrett) is marginally better made then the Borg Warner (KKK) although I suspect there is a cognitive bias based on the historical aftermarket performance dominance of Garrett in the UK.

In practice you're better off buying a brand new hybrid because most of these units are now 10-15 years old and there have been improvements in quality and therefore reliability.