My Car, Post-Crash

gurney92

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And ***** Goldie, I couldn't afford the ***** vRS, which is the car I wanted to buy, I worked my ***** nuts off for that car, then worked even harder to get it in top nick again. That's why I'm so ***** off, and there is no ***** way it was my fault because I wouldn't take the risk. Why would I spend over 100+ hours sorting the paintwork/body out, just to have it smashed to bits by some **** who was in a rush?

Fair play about the bodywork, but putting a vrs badge on a non vrs looks stupid!! And I'm sure pretty much everyone would agree. Swear at me all you want pal, won't make the slightest bit of difference to me!!

At the end of the day it was his right of way and you pulled out infront of him... Say no more.

Did mention tha drive I fabia Gti rst turbo type r? emoticon-0100-smile.gif

On Sunday, me and my friend went to see Fatboy Slim live at Rock City/Nottingham. I managed to drive all the way to Notts and back which is over 70 miles, spare 2 miles from my home before someone decided to change into the nearside lane just as I was pulling out of a junction. The junction is onto a 40mph dual carriageway yet he was driving over the limit as it took him nearly 250 feet to stop the car. My car spun around 180 degrees and ended up 30 feet further along in some poor souls fence which was much further back from the road than where i started.

He was in the 2nd lane when I was checking it was safe, and then he changed lanes as I pulled out.

The side of his car (mainly the rear door) is absolutely caved in, and my car needs a new drivers side wing, front bumper and the bonnet needs repairing. If I had pulled out a second sooner, it could have been much worse.

He had 3 passengers in his car, and I was accused of drink driving (police were fetched out, i came up zero on a breathalyzer), and the same woman was complaining about her neck within minutes. This cant ring true as they carried on straight up the road. He isn't accepting liability, and neither am I.

I'm absolutely gutted about my pride and joy.

The Car positions

My car is the red one, pre and post. the yellow is his car. Do you think this would suffice for evidence for an insurance company and you think it rings true with the damage on the cars?

155098_10150345481765434_644415433_16479564_3183203_n.jpg

65864_10150345481960434_644415433_16479572_4051158_n.jpg

157043_10150345481850434_644415433_16479568_3095437_n.jpg

David

Using all the information you have supplied:-

If you came out of a Junction,with Slow ,or Stop marking for your vehicle ,and a collision occurred involving your car and another vehicle which was travelling in the road you were entering it is your fault,even if the other vehicle was changing lanes. The Law states that you should not cross the junction ,until it is safe to do so. You could be prosecuted for Careless Driving in doing so. The only defense you have is that the other vehicles excessive speed contributed to the collision.

Edited by AndyPandy

I feel sorry for you but I would write it of as a learning experience.

Ive nearly had a near accident like yourself. 3 lane carriage way started to pull out and someone came from the 3rd lane across to the 1st lane and I saw them just in time to stop. Now I use this junction every day and even if there is something in lane 3 I will not pull out.

Tough lesson to learn and maybe the guy should have seen you and maybe done the courtsey thing and stayed out for you to come out but 90% of drivers are c*cks and do not think, you need to think for them.

FYI my ex had an accident where the person slowed and signalled but changed their mind. It was my ex's fault and she was to blame in full.

Edited by polocoupe

Here's a newer pic - speeding, that close to the roundabout? Was he in a really fast car or something?

Google Streetview from across the road.

Sorry, but I think that you will find the insurance companies come firmly down on the side of the car on the main road. Undoubtably there will be a personal injury claim from at least one of the passengers as well. Not good news I'm afraid :(

If I read your map correctly then you weren't pulling out from a junction as such but from a pub car park. That would better explain your getting breathalised rather than it being some sort of insurance scam.

Also insurance scams are usually low speed affairs - they don't want to get hurt for real do they.

you pulled out in front of incoming traffic simple as that u are at fault.... ok he changed lanes ... but is that not what lanes are for??

sorry buddy its plain and simple , hope u get things sorted thou

It looks/sounds like you pulled out and the front of your car caught the back of theirs as they went past you. The fact that yours was spun around indicates that yours was hit from the side nie. turning into the road and the fact that they carried on indicates that they were travelling in a straight line.

From what I can see, it looks like your fault as they had right of way. Whether he changed lanes or not is irrelevant as you should have waited until the road was clear before turning.

+1

You must wait untill its clear, even when a car is indicating into the road i'm coming out of i'll always wait untill the car is turning into the road then i'll pull out.

OP, I noticed it's all gone quiet from your end, you now have the benefit of a wide range of experience, but I guess you still think it's not your fault. I have, unfortunately, met people like you over the years and it has cost me. There is a reason why insurance companies load young drivers.

There is a reason why insurance companies load young drivers.

It's not fair i don't think that they put such hight costs on young drivers but i understand why i know alot of total door knobs with corsa's etc who bomb it everywere. i like to think i'm not like them ifact i know i'm not because i havn't wrote any cars of or even crashed. i think the should drop your insurance premium more after say 3 years or whatever if and only if you havn't made a claim i'm paying 1500 a year insurance and that with a full 3 years no claims it really pi$s3s me off!

I do feel for the OP but it is his fault.

No way would I pull out in front of a car in lane 2/3 and assume he would stay where he was. The blame lies totally with you.

From the Google street view, the other car, if speeding (even if double the speed limit) would have been in view and also you'd have had enough time to pull out and any collision would have rear ended you. The fact its a front end/side swipe accident meant the car would have been very close when you decided to pull out.

A mistake to learn from I'm afraid...

A bit late in the chat (and I agree with the conclusion), but to indicate left when approaching a turning or pub entrance would (to me) be wrong, so I wouldn't expect the driver to indicate a lane change. I would not indicate (although I would stay in the centre if I saw someone trying to enter from the left - good manners) Would anybody do differently?

but to indicate left when approaching a turning or pub entrance would (to me) be wrong,

This is one of the oldest tricks in the book for the insurance fraudsters.

Approach a junction at low speed( low enough not to get hurt) , indicate to turn - then drive in to the person pulling out.

They tend to pick on the younger and the older drivers to try and blame inexperiance or inability on the driver who pulled out

A bit late in the chat (and I agree with the conclusion), but to indicate left when approaching a turning or pub entrance would (to me) be wrong, so I wouldn't expect the driver to indicate a lane change. I would not indicate (although I would stay in the centre if I saw someone trying to enter from the left - good manners) Would anybody do differently?

I agree that indicating near to turning may be unwise, but remember an indicator flashing is only a signal of intent. You cant assume the drive will follow through and actually move and also maybe that driver didnt know the road well enough to know of all (hidden? junctions. It is inconcievable to think 'never indicate near a turning' (either you may not know they are coming, or you'd never indicate!!)

Fact is he shouldnt of acted beacause:

1 he obviously didnt know driver was stopping, turning or whatever and merely gussed intention

2 you dont pull out in front of traffic as to cause them to change speed or direction. If someone puled into lane 1 whilst I was in lane 2 of 2 I'd be very wary of what they may do next...

If you are going to swap lanes your suppose to indicate, pretty basic as far as driving a car goes TBH

Matt

Exactly my thinking, but ah well, I think I'm about done with this forum. It's been an alright ride. I might come back at some point but I don't know, probably not. Take it easy everyone.