dsg boxes

Evening all, is there anyone running an octavia with a dsg box who can give me an honest opinion -----are they any good---and trouble free??

Due to medical probs I now find that i need an automatic, I prefer to stick to VAG products, having driven nothing else for the last 25 years.

My wife has a bog standard Fabia and it really is a cracking little car, so I am looking to get an Octavia diesel estate but worried about adverse reports about DSG gearboxes.

Any info will be much appreciated, ---will be looking at secondhand cars hence the trepidation. Cheers---Stan. :(

Love mine - think it is excellent. It is the 6 speed 'wet' box in mine. Most petrols have the 7 speed dry box. As for reliibility it has been trouble free for the last 10k!!

Evening all, is there anyone running an octavia with a dsg box who can give me an honest opinion -----are they any good---and trouble free??

Due to medical probs I now find that i need an automatic, I prefer to stick to VAG products, having driven nothing else for the last 25 years.

My wife has a bog standard Fabia and it really is a cracking little car, so I am looking to get an Octavia diesel estate but worried about adverse reports about DSG gearboxes.

Any info will be much appreciated, ---will be looking at secondhand cars hence the trepidation. Cheers---Stan. :(

I have 55 plate Octavia L&K with DSG six speed. Totally trouble free since new and, probably the best quality of change, up and down that I've ever come across. Mine is one of the early boxes and though sold as having the hill start assist feature - it doesn't- would be worth you checking this out on your purchase as I believe it would be a boon if fitted.

The DSG is an amazing piece of kit. Virtually imperceptible changes.

Now copied as a concept by Ford, BMW, Porsche and Ferrari. Nuff said.

Edited by dunc69

I cannot answer for the long term reliability of the DSG boxs but did i see somewhere that VW have churned about 1,000,000 to date?

So they should have most of the "glitchs" ironed out, OK that said the "dry" DSg is newer technology.

We "plumped" for the DSG, & I do not regret it for an instant, it is an absolute "hoot" especially for overtaking.

I would say the fractional hesitation when selecting drive from Neutral perhaps takes a bit of acclimitization, but once underway, simply brilliant.

the changes are virtually impreceptable, and with the "tiptronic" function one can manually overide as required.

Cheers

M

Can't comment on reliability as I've only had mine 10 weeks and 2500 miles.

I have a love-hate relationship with it! The technology is simply amazing! I love the easy driving style and imperceptible changes. You can accelerate hard without passengers getting thrown forward as you change gear. The hill hold is wonderful - take your foot off the brake and the brakes are held on up to 2 seconds while you press the throttle. Drove SWMBO's manual Micra through rush hour Leeds ring road traffic last week and I yearned for the ease of the auto.

But sometimes I hate it! I admit that much of it is down to me. I still haven't got into the habit of driving an automatic - after 35yrs driving manuals (except for a few hire cars) I have to think about what I am doing as it hasn't become 2nd nature yet - especially when moving off, shutting down and performing low speed manoevres. I had a "moment" at some lights yesterday - waiting in N, lights changed, forgot to select D :S rolled forward VERY slowly not fast enough to select drive without having to touch the brake - the woman behind was not impressed! :o

I also hate the hesitation when you roll up with foot off the throttle to a junction or roundabout; the DSG hangs on to high gears in this situation 3 or even 4; before you stop you see a gap, press the throttle, wait as the gap shrinks while the DSG decides which gear to use, press the throttle harder cos you ain't moving then leap forward with wheels spinning as it kicks down into 1st and takes off like a scalded cat. In reality the hesitation is probably no longer than it would take me to change 3rd to 2nd but it just seems like a lifetime!

I find it very easy to start off gently by using the anti-stall to trickle along and then gently apply throttle; and very easy to set off briskly. The difficulty is getting the throttle balance for all points in between. I also miss the involvement when driving briskly along the B roads.

Do I regret buying this car? - definitely not.

On balance will my next car be a DSG? Hmmm... Jury's out... Maybe... Around 60:40 in favour I suppose... but what holiday or tasty extras could I get with the £1500 price difference... make it 50:50!

Can't comment on the newer 'dry' boxes but my 2006 6 speed 'wet' box is brilliant in normal. sport or manual mode - have driven 8 autos over 20 years and this is by far the best

Edited by Octavia5

my second "auto" in 16 years of driving. And have to say it is nothing like my first auto. Infact its so good I'm looking at gettin my old man one in the new year, yes I'm slightly worried about long term reliabilty but no more than other autobox.

Test drive it and see what you think

I'm on my second Octavia with the DSG box and no problems whatsoever, not with any part of the car and definitely not with the DSG. I love it and wouldn't go back to a manual, in fact I've got another Octy on order also with a DSG. I've driven many other automatics, mainly abroad as hire cars, and the DSG is simply the best hands down.

Mac

Hi,

I've had autos for over 25 years (bad left hip!) and the DSG is best and smoothest box I've owned to date. (I have a six speed version).

One downside for me though is that a lot of traditional torque convertors have a "snow" setting which alters the autos change points - its intended to help you in snowy and icy conditions. The DSG doesn't have that facility, albeit you could drive it in manual mode. But personally I do miss the "snow" programme.

Mine has been faultless although its only 18 months old.

They are generally reliable, but they are complex bits of kit so if it breaks you might end up with a very big bill. Many (if not the majority) of non-VAG places will not attempt to repair them. For that reason (plus the turbo) I will be taking out an extended warranty when the manufacturer warranty expires. Chances are that it won't break, but you never know!

You mention "adverse reports" in your original post. What are you worried about specifically?

As others have said you must try a test drive te see how it suits you. If you are not used to an auto box be careful how/when you floor it - the kickdown can otherwise surprise you and you can take off a lot faster than you intended!

Edited by Minimoke

I also hate the hesitation when you roll up with foot off the throttle to a junction or roundabout; the DSG hangs on to high gears in this situation 3 or even 4; before you stop you see a gap, press the throttle, wait as the gap shrinks while the DSG decides which gear to use, press the throttle harder cos you ain't moving then leap forward with wheels spinning as it kicks down into 1st and takes off like a scalded cat. In reality the hesitation is probably no longer than it would take me to change 3rd to 2nd but it just seems like a lifetime!

That is why you should use the tiptronic side when you approach a junction. Click left, and quickly you are in a fixed gear, click it forward twice and you are out of the roundabout. Leave it in auto and the poor thing won't know what to do. Since it has two clutches it uses motion sensors to decide what gear to select next. If you are in 3rd and slowing down it will have 2nd ready on the other clutch, but if you decide to accelarate all of a sudden (as you do at roundabouts) it has to deselect 2nd and select 4th. And that takes a bit of time. So manual mode in roundabouts is the best way to avoid that hesitation. You'll get used to it very quickly and that way you won't get caught out.

I have 360,000kms on my remapped PD140 DSG and the box hasn't missed a beat. I will never buy a manual car again having had the pleasure of my DSG for the last five years.

I've driven the Honda version in the prelude, the citroen auto, a lexus auto and the DSG and S-Tronic (same thing) and the DSG/S-Tronic are outstanding. Highly recommended and you can change gear without taking your hands off the wheel using the paddles, unlike: Nissan GTR and Mitsubishi Evo X

:)

What is it like driving in the snow / ice with the DSG box?

Awful. I wanted to stay in as high a gear as possible and it just couldn't make up its mind whether to be in second or third. Moved it over to "manual" and problem solved but I didn't enjoy the experience. In normal weather I'd have another like a shot. Steep inclines are fun too, especially if you've got to reverse up them but that's another debate for another day.

Dare I suggest that I have been astounded as to how well the DSG has behaved/held the gears in snow,

I have had absolutly NO problems with spinning or overreving and running away up through the gears.

Quite astounding.

I mostly drive in heavy boots but with a light right foot.

I have now changed the Bridgestones for a set of Continental TS830 winter tyres ( snowflake marked)

Which seem to be much better.

Which way to Everest again?

Cheers

M

Edited by dieseldogg

Can't comment on reliability as I've only had mine 10 weeks and 2500 miles.

I have a love-hate relationship with it! The technology is simply amazing! I love the easy driving style and imperceptible changes. You can accelerate hard without passengers getting thrown forward as you change gear. The hill hold is wonderful - take your foot off the brake and the brakes are held on up to 2 seconds while you press the throttle. Drove SWMBO's manual Micra through rush hour Leeds ring road traffic last week and I yearned for the ease of the auto.

But sometimes I hate it! I admit that much of it is down to me. I still haven't got into the habit of driving an automatic - after 35yrs driving manuals (except for a few hire cars) I have to think about what I am doing as it hasn't become 2nd nature yet - especially when moving off, shutting down and performing low speed manoevres. I had a "moment" at some lights yesterday - waiting in N, lights changed, forgot to select D :S rolled forward VERY slowly not fast enough to select drive without having to touch the brake - the woman behind was not impressed! :o

I find it very easy to start off gently by using the anti-stall to trickle along and then gently apply throttle; and very easy to set off briskly. The difficulty is getting the throttle balance for all points in between. I also miss the involvement when driving briskly along the B roads.

Do I regret buying this car? - definitely not.

On balance will my next car be a DSG? Hmmm... Jury's out... Maybe... Around 60:40 in favour I suppose... but what holiday or tasty extras could I get with the £1500 price difference... make it 50:50!

Your quote about it holding in 3/4 gear is strange to me as ours will down shift to nearly a halt, many times i do not brake but roll up to stop with just a touch on brake .

Dare I suggest that I have been astounded as to how well the DSG has behaved/held the gears in snow,

I have had absolutly NO problems with spinning or overreving and running away up through the gears.

Quite astounding.

I mostly drive in heavy boots but with a light right foot.

I have now changed the Bridgestones for a set of Continental TS830 winter tyres ( snowflake marked)

Which seem to be much better.

Which way to Everest again?

Cheers

M

I agree with you on this, I find the only thing that stops my progress in the snow is when the car gets bellied up on undertray in very deep snow. I can't understand all the negative comments about the DSG in the snow.

I have a 55 plate Octavia, about 6 months (~90k on the clock) ago I noticed a rattling sound coming from the engine when the car was idleing, particularily if you listened above the tyre. It was the Dual Mass Flywheel, which needed replacing. A £500 part without an aftermarket option, £700 fitted at an independant VAG repair, the dealership quoted over £1000! Obviously I was gutted, but it hasn't put me off getting another one, currently looking at a VRS CR DSG Combi, there don't seem to be too many reports of faults with this box, and it is a joy to use! The DMF had a revised part number, perhaps to address this fault, and thus really should be covered by some kind of warranty, yer likely I know.

Its been OK in the snow, you cant select 2nd to start off in but it changes quickly, even before I fitted winter tyres it was OK

Edited by Danntec