What's the difference between ASR and ESP?

Dave100

My fabia has got ASR which I'm guessing is standard on all VRS's however I noticed on another thread that there was an option for ESP for £400.

What's the big difference between the two that makes it cost £400 more? And is it worth is?

Thanks

David

Edited by Dave100

asr is traction control for front wheels

esp is electronic stability and controls braking (on all wheels) to stop the car spinning in an uncontrollable situation and is def worth having, if i was buying another vrs i would want one with this on.

I think ASR is a fairly crude traction control system. It just measures the difference in the speeds the front wheels are spinning and removes drive from the one that is spinning faster, until both wheels are at same speed.

I would defo spec ESP if I was buying new, it is far superior.

Edited by jonzero1

My fabia has got ASR which I'm guessing is standard on all VRS's however I noticed on another thread that there was an option for ESP for £400.

What's the big difference between the two that makes it cost £400 more? And is it worth is?

Thanks

David

Hi Dave100.

Reading your question I knew that Skoda had done their own list defining the various systems that are found on their vehicles. I managed to find the one that lists the various functions aboard a YETI. Here is their list.

Hope it helps.................

THE GREAT YETI

emoticon-0144-nod.gif

TECHNICAL GLOSSARY:

ABS: the Anti-lock Braking System prevents the wheels from locking during heavy or emergency braking, enabling the vehicle to remain steerable. When braking, wheel speed sensors measure the road wheel speed and should one or more wheels start to lock the system reduces brake pressure to that wheel.

AFM: records and assesses all available data about the journey to optimize the ESP system’s reactions, which can thus be adapted to any driving style and the current vehicle payload.

ASR: Anti-Slip Regulation traction control ensures the Yeti’s stability when pulling away or accelerating. If the engine power or torque being transmitted to the drive wheels is too great, for example on a slippery road surface, engine torque is automatically reduced until optimum road-holding returns, thus preventing wheelspin. A light indicates whether the ASR system is on. It can be manually switched off.

DSR: Driver Steering Recommendation — in a crisis situation it helps the driver stabilize a skid by making a slight intervention in the steering.

EDL: the Electronic Differential Lock continually compares the rpm of the drive wheels, and if it identifies a difference between them which could lead to an individual wheel spinning, for example if the two wheels are on different types of surface or accelerating on wet leaves, the system brakes the wheel affected until uniform rpm of all drive wheels is restored.

ESBS: Electronic Stability Brake System — targeted interventions in the braking process improve the handling of a car as it brakes when passing round a bend and keeps it from veering

ESP: Electronic Stability Programme is designed to stabilise the dynamic handling response of the vehicle by counteracting any tendency towards oversteer or understeer. The ESP constantly compares the actual movement of the vehicle with predetermined values and according to the situation ESP reacts by braking each wheel individually (according to direction of slip) and automatically adjusting the engine’s output.

Haldex: Electro-hydraulically controlled inter-axle multi-plate coupling allowing for all wheel drive in the Yeti 4x4.

HBA: Hydraulic Brake Assistant — speeds up the brake effect in cases of hard braking.

HHC: Hill hold control allows for a safe bill start by holding the brake for a small amount of time, reducing the risk of unintentional reversing or roll back

MSR: the engine torque control system recognises when the wheels are subject to too much slippage and regulates the power supply by intervening in the engine management system. This prevents wheelspin when, for example, changing down on a smooth or wet road surface. MSR is a constituentpart of the ASR system.

Off-road: Off-road driving assistant contains a range of functions that are activated as soon as the off-road button is pushed. The system modifies the engine and braking system characteristics (4x4 only).

Edited by Great Yeti

The relevant text from the Fabia Mark 1 brochure relates as follows:

ASR: Anti-Slip Regulation traction control

ensures the Fabia’s stability when pulling

away or accelerating. If the engine power or

torque being transmitted to the drive wheels

is too great, for example on a slippery road

surface, engine torque is automatically

reduced until optimum road-holding

returns, thus preventing wheelspin. A light

indicates whether the ASR system is on. It

can be manually switched off.

ESP: Electronic Stability Programme is

designed to stabilise the dynamic handling

response of the vehicle by counteracting

any tendency towards oversteer or

understeer. The ESP constantly compares

the actual movement of the vehicle with

predetermined values and according to

the situation ESP reacts by braking each

wheel individually (according to direction

of slip) and automatically adjusting the

engine’s output.

Pretty similar.

The cynical would argue that ESP is only necessary for people who cannot drive within their limits! :giggle:

The cynical would argue that ESP is only necessary for people who cannot drive within their limits! :giggle:

Tiff Needell was pretty convinced about the value of ESP, and I reckon he's probably a bit handier at the wheel than most of us

I had a mate who had it on his fabia, hated it, particularly when pushing on

matt

Contrary to what people think going sideways or nose-ploughing into a ditch is not the fastest way to get from A to B. If your mate was triggering the ESP system then it was probably the main thing keeping him on the black stuff.

I know loads of people who reckon they can 'drive' and most o fthem reckon they can out-drive the ESP computers too. Most of them can't. About the only ones who can are getting paid to drive WRC cars. And most of them spend a lot of time in ditches or upside down. ESP is probably the biggest accident prevention technology available at the moment. It builds on ABS to keep you going in the right direction. It's certainly the next thing that should be made a legal requirement.

my previous car (Ibiza TDI Sport 130) had ESP and it saved me once in the pouring rain on a motorway where the back end just started to slip out but the ESP kicked in and it just straightened with minimal effort from me. Surprised to hear it wasn't standard on a Fabia VRS.

so how do you know if you have ESP, I take it there will be a button to turn it off ? maybe next to the ASR one ?

cheers, Si

The ASR button is replaced by one that says ESP. :thumbup:

Cheers

Dave.

Originally I thought that the differance between ASR and ESP included things like EDL - but maybe EDL is just another option, if so I can say that ESP + EDL can help a bit in ice and snow, but only if its the "correct" type of ice and snow - I've only driven on the "correct" type of ice and snow once, and that was earlier this year, though the throttle regulating can catch you out if you are being "light " on the throttle already, in my case the car gripped and promptly stalled - but ammazingly managed to pul away again on an ice + snow cover steep hill with bend.

Rule seems to be, if your car has ESP etc, make sure that you are "using" enough throttle before and during periods of ESP etc operation, or you might just find that all its good work has been wasted!

Eventually I realised my mistake and bought winter tyres - now they really do work in this current horrible weather.

Guest BigJase88

ESP is awesome...

ive had 10 cars in 5 years and the one i have now (golf tdi) has ESP and coming from so many cars without it, theres one word that can describe it. Its Phenomenal!

ASR on my Fabia's was shocking! basically kills all power.

ESP in the snow / ice is invaluable.....

For example, the girlfriend in her car ( seat ibiza 1.4 - no ASR or ESP)

me in my car ( golf tdi with esp )

she struggled big time to make it up the hill onto her street... me in the golf not even a single hint of a spinning wheel :D

Edited by BigJase88

ESP is awesome...

ive had 10 cars in 5 years and the one i have now (golf tdi) has ESP and coming from so many cars without it, theres one word that can describe it. Its Phenomenal!

ASR on my Fabia's was shocking! basically kills all power.

ESP in the snow / ice is invaluable.....

For example, the girlfriend in her car ( seat ibiza 1.4 - no ASR or ESP)

me in my car ( golf tdi with esp )

she struggled big time to make it up the hill onto her street... me in the golf not even a single hint of a spinning wheel :D

That isnt really what ESP does, at least not why its so important.

Simple TC helps prevent wheelspin. ESP is invaluable as it helps to detect and minimise skids. When ESP detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where you intend to go. Hence its safety ratings.