Should Tyres Be An Option When Buying

EdmundBlackadder

At the moment when we buy our cars we are able to tick a range of boxes for the various options that we would like. One area that you have no choice in is the tyres that the car comes with. I don't expect car mfrs to offer different makes of tyres, that would be silly, but I do not see why they can not offer standard Summer tyres as the norm but All Season ones from the same mfr as a tickable option. There may be a minor premium to pay but I am sure it would interest many drivers. What do others think about this?

I think it would be a great factory option, it may cost a bit more maybe £150 more to have all season tyres/M&S marked tyres but I think it would be worth it.

I wonder how much I could offer it for as a dealer option as the car would be shipped to us with the factory summer tyres which we could keep as stock and then supply the All-Season tyres as a dealer fit option...

Hmm..... I might have to look into this!

I ordered snow tyres to be mounted on the original wheels when I bought the car. They paid me the wholesale price for the original tyres and sold me the winter tyres with mounting. Delivery date in December last year. I knew I needed the winters, as I drive down to Spain through Germany, so that was a given.

Since I had no real feel for what I wanted in summer, I left that for later. Since I concluded that mounting 17" summer wheels would not be of any real benefit, I bought a set of Skoda 16" wheels and paid the dealer wholesale price for the tyres that oginally came on the car.

I was happy and the dealer was happy. As far as I know, we both still are.

I think it would be a great factory option, it may cost a bit more maybe £150 more to have all season tyres/M&S marked tyres but I think it would be worth it.

I wonder how much I could offer it for as a dealer option as the car would be shipped to us with the factory summer tyres which we could keep as stock and then supply the All-Season tyres as a dealer fit option...

Hmm..... I might have to look into this!

James - If you think what people are happy to pay for folding side mirrors, sun roofs, heated windscreens etc, myself included by the way, then £150 would be nothing. It would be a great option whether dealer fit or factory fit.

As a company car driver it is also better to get these costs up front as once you have your car companies are generally unwilling to let you spend extra money.

I remember some years ago a Land Rover magazine ordered a car with various options all geared to off roading and watched it go through the factory as it was built to report on the process. This vehicle was delivered with the magazines choice of off road wheels fitted on the assembly line.

It is not difficult to supply specific wheels and tyres to the line at exactly the right time to fit a particular car. This is what happens now as an "E" could be following an Elegance along the line and different items are delivered for each vehicle as it passes

Likewise here. I would have ticked the winter tyre box as an extra for sure. But not as a replacement for the standard tyres. I still want those in my shed for the summer.

Likewise here. I would have ticked the winter tyre box as an extra for sure. But not as a replacement for the standard tyres. I still want those in my shed for the summer.

Then that's a no brainer, Johann. Just a question if the wheels/tyres you want are available when the car is delivered.

My situation was that I had the (faulty) notion that I wanted 17" Annapurna BLACK wheels for summer. Having driven on the 16" winter tyres to Spain and back, I realized that 17" did not seem hamoneous for the Yeti - at least not to me.

Johan - For those that do not want to have different sets of tyres, and I think that is the bulk of the population, then going for the All Seasons are a good compromise. For those who are happy to carry both sets then in the UK summer and winter tyres are the best bet, no doubt.

Johan - For those that do not want to have different sets of tyres, and I think that is the bulk of the population, then going for the All Seasons are a good compromise. For those who are happy to carry both sets then in the UK summer and winter tyres are the best bet, no doubt.

Ah yes of course... I was thinking purely in terms of Summer and Winter tyres. Forgot about the all-season option. Yes, I totally agree, to have that as an option for a small sum of money would indeed be far preferable to the current summer tyres or nothing system.

At the moment when we buy our cars we are able to tick a range of boxes for the various options that we would like. One area that you have no choice in is the tyres that the car comes with. I don't expect car mfrs to offer different makes of tyres, that would be silly, but I do not see why they can not offer standard Summer tyres as the norm but All Season ones from the same mfr as a tickable option. There may be a minor premium to pay but I am sure it would interest many drivers. What do others think about this?

I would certainly have said YES if this option was available, as I've found the standard tyres on my 1.2 DSG 2WD absolutely hopeless in the current snow and ice. Of course. I don't expect great off road capability on a 2WD but when my neighbours are able to negotiate the steep windy hill to our cul-de-sac (which has thick packed snow) in a Skoda Fabia and Citroen C2, then I feel a bit peeved that I can't negotiate even the first quarter of the hill. The Skoda Yeti standard tyres are useless on anything other than tarmac. This is something Skoda should consider offering, particularly for a SUV type vehicle.

The Skoda Yeti standard tyres are useless on anything other than tarmac. This is something Skoda should consider offering, particularly for a SUV type vehicle.

The tyres aren't that different on the 4x4; in fact just wider, and I've had no problems at all. I've just driven from home, over the top of Kerry Mountain outside Newtown, in a raging blizzard, with 3" of snow on the road, with no problems at all. That included having to restart half way up to pass a stuck Transit. Slight wheel spin was all I got. If the tyres were that bad even 4x4 wouldn't help.

How's Cardiff? We've got to come down to Llandaff North on Thursday afternoon.

The tyres aren't that different on the 4x4; in fact just wider, and I've had no problems at all. I've just driven from home, over the top of Kerry Mountain outside Newtown, in a raging blizzard, with 3" of snow on the road, with no problems at all. That included having to restart half way up to pass a stuck Transit. Slight wheel spin was all I got. If the tyres were that bad even 4x4 wouldn't help.

Hi Graham

Mid wales is good on average, with all main roads open, even the back road Builth to Brecon over the hills.

Don't venture off the tried and tested and slated and scraped onto the lanes that you are not familiar with!! You might find one of the farmers' ego-trucks coming hell for leather towards you towing a trailerful of sheep!

Good luck.

Hello Graham,

The main roads are fine in Cardiff, its the residential estates that are a problem. I've had to leave my SM on a lay-by at The Llantrisant Road / Radyr roundabout tonight as I can't get up the hill to reach home in Danescourt, Llandaff. The length of road is too long to shovel it clear and although I've tried bits of carpet to get her going, there's no grip at all ! So my little baby is cold and alone tonight, although there are a few other cars keeping her company as Radyr side roads are also virtually impassable. Good Luck on Thursday, at least there's no more snow forecast !

Hello Graham,

The main roads are fine in Cardiff, its the residential estates that are a problem. I've had to leave my SM on a lay-by at The Llantrisant Road / Radyr roundabout tonight as I can't get up the hill to reach home in Danescourt, Llandaff. The length of road is too long to shovel it clear and although I've tried bits of carpet to get her going, there's no grip at all ! So my little baby is cold and alone tonight, although there are a few other cars keeping her company as Radyr side roads are also virtually impassable. Good Luck on Thursday, at least there's no more snow forecast !

Had the same problem with mine on summer tyres, I've got to get up a steep hill to my house which is a nightmare. It is better than a lot of cars and the traction control has been really handy. I have just ordered some autosocks so I should have no problems now and I am looking at getting some 4 season tyres when it comes time to change. Keep an eye open for a filthy looking storm blue yeti on your travels in Cardiff as I am based in Canton

Mark

Thanks for that Glamorgan. Hopefully it should be OK. Won't be far from you, as my son lives between The Cow and Snuffers and the bridge! Do you want me to bring my tow rope? :giggle:

George, don't worry I won't be wandering off the main roads! We were supposed to go down on Sunday but they'd closed Storeyy Arms, as usual.

I think that the secret of success is in the 4x4 formula and not just a tyre change. I have been surprised and very relieved as Betty has tackled all the conditions around here with no problems.

One area that is weak is reversing. I tried to back up to my garage over a 2" curb and got stuck. The rear wheels locked against the curb and the fronts just spun. There seemed to be no drive to the rear to pull over the edge. Turned round and drove it forwards with no problem at all.

Any comment from the techies?

I think that the secret of success is in the 4x4 formula and not just a tyre change. I have been surprised and very relieved as Betty has tackled all the conditions around here with no problems.

One area that is weak is reversing. I tried to back up to my garage over a 2" curb and got stuck. The rear wheels locked against the curb and the fronts just spun. There seemed to be no drive to the rear to pull over the edge. Turned round and drove it forwards with no problem at all.

Any comment from the techies?

Same problem here - if the front or rear wheels get stuck in a deep rut there simply isn't sufficient traction (in the 2WD version) to pull the car out. It's possible but not that easy to 'rock' the vehicle with the DSG gearbox. I would have thought the EDL (electronic differential lock) would have prevented the spinning wheel from turning and directed power to the wheel with better grip? (Other Skoda users have advised switching of the TCS is such circumstances which is counter intuitive but apparently sometimes helps.)

Same problem here - if the front or rear wheels get stuck in a deep rut there simply isn't sufficient traction (in the 2WD version) to pull the car out. It's possible but not that easy to 'rock' the vehicle with the DSG gearbox. I would have thought the EDL (electronic differential lock) would have prevented the spinning wheel from turning and directed power to the wheel with better grip? (Other Skoda users have advised switching of the TCS is such circumstances which is counter intuitive but apparently sometimes helps.)

Hi again Del,

same thing 'again' with the wife's Fabia front wheels stuck in a rut :S, she tried turning the TCS off and fitting snow socks but unable to move that didn't work. The plastic snow shovel she had wouldn't break the ice, so I had a 2.5 + hour round trip to go help her get out with a steel shovel. Her Christmas present :giggle: of 4 nice new winter tyres on rims from mytyres are currently still lagishing in a German parcel depot on the Rhine last we knew :(

TP