Build Times/Delivery Times

Being the Newbie hear and having ordered the VRS with a lead time of up to 20 weeks, i dont quite understand why these cars are taking so long. I have read some individual posts that seem to be model specific i.e. Greenline II, but been trying to find the answer why Skoda seems (according to this forum) to have such a torrid (IN GENERAL) time building and supplying cars ?

I have bought new cars in the past from Ford, Mazda, Renault and Citroen, Rover, most of them factory orders and they have all turned up in 12 weeks or less. My father has had factory order golfs for his last 3 cars (currently a 1.4 TSI DSG 160) and he also has never had to wait more than 12 weeks. He is also interested in seeing my Fabia when it arrives and may actually consider a VRS next time round as he loves the DSG but he could not understand what I have told him on build/lead times after reading this forum, plus of course my own wait of up to 20 weeks.

Can some kind soul explain a bit more of why Skoda is quoting long dates and missing dates etc etc so this newbie can understand :)

Many thanks for your time guys.

Edited by Bullyboy

Read a newspaper article a couple of months ago (Daily Telegraph Honest John I think) that suggested Skoda supplied other markets before the U.K because they made more money by doing so. Something to do with exchange rates etc.

Delivery times seem to be a bit of a mystery.

Some say (and I tend to agree) it's the shear sales volume and supply. Last year I was told by Skoda UK that for some models the UK market had used up the years allocation. At one point there was an alleged shortage of the 1.2TSI engine.

To me it also seem to be down to where you order from, for example my Greenline was ordered from a dealer in north Wales, not my local dealer, I got my car at the begining of October (delivered to dealer on 28th Sept) others who had ordered their car at or just before me got their car's after me - I think I was the first UK person to collect their Greenline II on the forum?

Thanks all those answers make sense. Surprised that only 500 VRS are coming our way. Surely with the new no vat deal they will sell more than that.....

That's the problem, if you are the 501st order and Skoda UK cannot get more allocation from other countries then you have possibly a big wait. I do not know if the sales year are calendar or annual. Now Skoda have discounted the VRS as well and I was in the dealers I had a very brief thought about one :) only brief.

I would'nt change my purchase for the VRS regardless of the 20% discount,why? simply because its petrol not diesel and the DSG box,the only reason they put a DSG instead of the manual simply they did not have a gearbox strong enough to take the torque an awful system,its OK for the under 30s its OK in supercars but not in a hot hatchemoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

The lead time issue is a bit of a mystery to me too.

It's a fairly recent phenomenon: my previous 2 Skodas (the most recent about 15 months ago) arrived in about 12 weeks as promised.

I can understand when there is high demand for a particular engine eg theVW group had a supply problem with the 1.4tsi 122 when it first became available, but that's a couple of years ago now. Allegedly it's been the same for the 1.2tsi DSG. However at the moment it seems to affect a wide model and spec range: if the VAT free offer in the UK is the cause of overdemand, which seems possible, why are Skoda continuing it?

Just phoned the dealer to check the order has gone into the system (as I ordered it on a bank holiday) and it has. They do not have a build week yet but still expect it to be in the 10 - 20 week period, although nearer 12 - 16. He said Skoda is a victim of their own success at the moment but the real bottle necks are on Diesels (all engines) and 1.2 Tsi units. He said the VRS is not as popular so 12 -16 weeks is an 'accurate' estimate at this point.

Fingers Crossed. :giggle:

I've been waiting 23 weeks for mine now. Am still getting the "stuck at the docks" line from the dealer - when he eventually phones me.

Because we got very annoyed with this continuing wait we told our dealer we wanted to cancel the order and could we speak to the boss guy at the dealership - which long-established family firm we've been dealing with for around 15 years now with usually good service.

At the end they offered us a new deal which includes the payment of VAT. So achieved a reduction from c.£17000 to c.14000 which is OK although I think maybe we should have just cancelled the order and looked at other makes for a change. Still wondering. . . . . . .

Disappointed at Skoda's handling of delivery this time.

Edited by banksider50

hello there everyone i ordered my vrs last year on the 29/05/10 before they were in the showrooms ,the dealer just got the go ahead that he could order it the day i walked in ,and i signed for the car to drive away on the 26/10/10 .1 week of that was putting the personal plate on the car and 1 more week for the floods they had .it was a mad wait but so so worth it i love the car to bits and to make it even better i just got my insurance through the rac and its cheaper than my old log burner vrs well happy :)

from speaking to a dealer and broker, they say the supply issue is due to the popularty of the Diesel units and 1.2 TSI. due to they way the factories work (Just In TIme) the engines arnt built until a car is ordered and there for the compnents are not made until the car is ordered either. this means that there isnt a stockpile of parts the factory can use instead it has to wait for the suppliers to make them. they will bulk order/make some parts that they think will sell well but due to the increase in VAT a lot of people that were thinking of changing there car did to beat the VAT.

its similar to supermarkets, most new supermarkets dont have a large warehouse, instead they rely on forcasts and current sales to work out how much of each product they will need. so if we have a hot weekend, all of the BBQ's and associated products will sell out as the Just in Time system cant forcast this and order extra in.

hope this explains a bit better :)

• 1 month later...

Some good news on my build.

It will be in the dealer next Monday and they said I can collect Next Saturday (19th).

So ordered on 27th December and with me 19th February which is around 9 - 10 weeks. Where I was quoted a 16 - 20 build time at date of order.

Excited.... :rofl:

Bullyboy got a good leadtime there! 9 - 10 weeks is very impressive!

We ordered our vRS estate on 30th Jan, spoke to dealer today and we still dont have a confirmed build date. Looking at being built in May/June at the moment. Fortunately we are in no rush.

As mentioned in this forum it looks like Skoda dont build for stock and everything is factory order only (JIT builds). Ain't such a bad thing really as at least you get to have exactly what you want in terms of colour and spec and you dont end up with a car thats been sat in a field waiting to be bought for months. It is frustrating having to wait though. If we werent getting a vRS i'd no doubt be less bothered haha

I would'nt change my purchase for the VRS regardless of the 20% discount,why? simply because its petrol not diesel and the DSG box,the only reason they put a DSG instead of the manual simply they did not have a gearbox strong enough to take the torque an awful system,its OK for the under 30s its OK in supercars but not in a hot hatchemoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

The vRS isnt for everyone. I would imagine most people in the market for a decent small car like a Fabia would be quite happy plumping for a 1.2 TSi/1.6 CR variant and wouldnt give the vRS a second look.

There are however those (like me and many of the others on Briskoda who already have or have ordered a vRS) who want a small car, thats cheap to buy, easy to drive with lots of performance that can be docile as well as very exciting to drive. I personally think the DSG box in the vRS adds to the appeal; given that its easy to trundle around in as well as it is at pace with minimal effort; the paddle shifts allow you to get that bit more involved as and when the mood strikes. It's a very grown-up feature for such a car actually and personally I think it suits the car perfectly.

Originally I was hankering after a Polo GTi, but it was way too expensive and the boot was tiny. In the vRS estate I effectively get much the same car, at much less cost with a massive boot. A win-win all round I reckon.

Pips, thanks.

Dealer just needs to call me on Tuesday to confirm the car was physically delivered and then we are away :rofl:

I'll report on it with photos etc under a separate post.

Gotta say impressed with the time frame, but sounds like I am one of the few lucky ones iro delivery times.

Next week will go slow. :S

I personally think the DSG box in the vRS adds to the appeal; given that its easy to trundle around in as well as it is at pace with minimal effort;

I've driven the wet clutch DSG 6 speed on 2.0T turbo petrol and 2.0 turbo diesel and the 7 speed dry clutch on 1.6 turbo diesel and 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 TSi petrols. As a result I have a 2.0TDi DSG Passat (6 speed wet clutch), my uncle has a Golf 1.6TDi DSG (7 speed dry clutch), brother in law has Octavia 1.8TSi (7 speed dry clutch) and my dad has on order a Fabia 1.2TSi DSG (7 speed dry clutch). All were bought because family members drove others cars and enjoyed using the gearbox.

I think it's a great system, I've had conventional auto's before and paid for it in the wallet and in performance. The DSG has the best of both worlds for me, easy and a joy in stop start traffic and with enough control if you want to play. The tiptronic function on conventional autos never gave you that direct drive feel because of the torque conveter slipage. Of the two VAG DSG's I think the 7 speed dry clutch box is crisper and more direct but the 6 speed wet clutch box has better low speed manouverability control and doesn't suffer as much from the lag then go syndrome when coming back on power at junctions.

Cheers

Lee

I've driven the wet clutch DSG 6 speed on 2.0T turbo petrol and 2.0 turbo diesel and the 7 speed dry clutch on 1.6 turbo diesel and 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 TSi petrols. As a result I have a 2.0TDi DSG Passat (6 speed wet clutch), my uncle has a Golf 1.6TDi DSG (7 speed dry clutch), brother in law has Octavia 1.8TSi (7 speed dry clutch) and my dad has on order a Fabia 1.2TSi DSG (7 speed dry clutch). All were bought because family members drove others cars and enjoyed using the gearbox.

I think it's a great system, I've had conventional auto's before and paid for it in the wallet and in performance. The DSG has the best of both worlds for me, easy and a joy in stop start traffic and with enough control if you want to play. The tiptronic function on conventional autos never gave you that direct drive feel because of the torque conveter slipage. Of the two VAG DSG's I think the 7 speed dry clutch box is crisper and more direct but the 6 speed wet clutch box has better low speed manouverability control and doesn't suffer as much from the lag then go syndrome when coming back on power at junctions.

Cheers

Lee

sorry about that,lets try again.

Manual or DSG? thats a big question which i would always have said manual, but after having spent a only very short time in the Fabia VRS, i was very impressed with its fast reactions, passing was a dream, just point and squirt, no messing with the clutch and down selecting to put the engine in its sweet spot, just go. Absolute dream with the added benefit of being easy to drive in traffic (i have a 35 mile each way daily commute along a very busy stretch of motorway) so the best of both worlds, drives sedately, but with a flick of the ankle turns in to a really fun roller skate. :thumbup:

Iinteresting to see that there is a back log of orders for diesel Skoda`s when there appears to so much criticism about the CR diesels.

Obviously some people must be buying them!! Apart from my myself, Seboni121, etc etc .......

Further my post 11th February, dealer phoned today to say its in, gave me a registration plate and I can collect it on Saturday. :rofl:

Just looked at the Calender and its 2 days shy of 8 weeks from order to collection. Ordered on 27th December 2010. I got the VAT offer but maybe just got ahead of the crowd !

Anyway lets hope on Saturday all is good and pictures and experience will follow.

Its going to be a 60 plate but that was part of the deal in terms of it had to be registered within 10 days or so of them getting it. Would of course would have liked the 11 plate but in the big scheme of things and the money i saved with the vat offer just happy to have the car in 8 weeks !

Roll on Saturday morning......