Dearler fit Fiscon bluetooth

I collected my Octavia this weekend. The dealer supplied and fitted Fiscon bluetooth for £417. I had asked for the Basic-plus model. Foolishly, I didn't test it in the forecourt.

Unfortunately, I can't get anything to do with it up on the Bolero or on the DIS, using the switch and button on the wiper stalk. (I don't have the multifunctional steering wheel.) I was able to pair my phone with it however, and if I make or receive a call on the phone, the car speakers and the microphone work perfectly.

Having read the manuals, the only thing I can think is that they might have supplied the Basic model, and failed to code the system. Can you think what might cause these problems?

I will speak to the dealer tomorrow. It was the first time he fitted this model, and when he said it had passed his test, I wonder if he was aware of all the features of the system.

If you are a FL model then to get the Fiscon to work with Maxidot you need to get the car coded for having a telephone kit. Instructions on how to do this are in the box! The dealer should have done this for you as part of the install.

Not sure if the car not being coded stops it working with the Bolero though - I would have thought so, as there is a telephone kit on the CANbus and the car isn't expecting it!!

Ask the dealer for the original box and instructions - the box will identify if it is a Basic or a Basic+

Edited by andyvee

Thanks for your help, Andy.

The dealer confirmed it was a Basic+, which arrived in an OEM box, with no instructions, which he was cross about. Apparently the dealer did code the car. So today they contacted Fiscon technical support, who apparently said that it wasn't going to work with my new car (which isn't what it says on their website.) The dealer has offered to replace the Fiscon system at no extra cost with another Bluetooth system that has a screen of its own (which I'm not so keen on, as I think it'll spoil the styling) and I believe they are returning the system to Fiscon for a refund.

So I guess my only question now is - where is the best place to squirrel away the LCD screen?

I was under the impression that the Fiscon Basic Plus was the correct system for the VRS/FL/Bolero combination, in fact i am fairly sure there are folks on here who have it fitted and working perfectly, showing on the screen and everything.

Not so sure about the doesn't work with your car bit???

AFAIK the only thing that doesn't work with FL Octavias is the E-MFA part which displays the speed, revs, temp, boost etc.

Why not go for an OEM one - have a chat with Ben at Shark performance as he can supply and fit them.

I was under the impression that the Fiscon Basic Plus was the correct system for the VRS/FL/Bolero combination, in fact i am fairly sure there are folks on here who have it fitted and working perfectly, showing on the screen and everything.

Well that's what I thought, but all that's on offer to me now is putting up with a half working system or having a system fitted that I don't particularly want. :(

Not so sure about the doesn't work with your car bit???

AFAIK the only thing that doesn't work with FL Octavias is the E-MFA part which displays the speed, revs, temp, boost etc.

Why not go for an OEM one - have a chat with Ben at Shark performance as he can supply and fit them.

Is OEM the same as the factory fitted bluetooth? Unfortunately, this wasn't available to me because I couldn't have a multifunction steering wheel with a manual.

The Fiscon Basic + most def does work.

I have one fitted to what was my bolero with no problems on a 2010 Octavia VRS

Now theres a columbus in the boleros place and still works a treat.

Had absolutely no problems with install function etc.

Also 400+ - seems a bit steep, I got mine fitted for 300 all in....

Are you sure the dealer know what they are doing?

The Fiscon Basic + most def does work.

I have one fitted to what was my bolero with no problems on a 2010 Octavia VRS

Now theres a columbus in the boleros place and still works a treat.

Had absolutely no problems with install function etc.

Also 400+ - seems a bit steep, I got mine fitted for 300 all in....

Are you sure the dealer know what they are doing?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Really not sure the dealership does know what its doing. I've decided I'm going to press for a full refund for the system and its installation, then I can get it done somewhere else.

I'm an idiot for asking them to fit it. It's the first car that I've bought, so I wasn't as good at it as I would be now with hindsight - what happened was that I asked for factory fit bluetooth, and then after a few days they let me know that that wasn't available, and offered a Parrot dealer fit one. So I thought "I must have dealer fit bluetooth" rather than "there is no advantage to having dealer fit over third party", which is what I should have done.

Well that's what I thought, but all that's on offer to me now is putting up with a half working system or having a system fitted that I don't particularly want. :(

Is OEM the same as the factory fitted bluetooth? Unfortunately, this wasn't available to me because I couldn't have a multifunction steering wheel with a manual.

Yes OEM is the same as factory fitted, and although Skoda won't allow you to spec it without the multifunction wheel, it will work through the Bolero unit and Maxidot just as the Fiscon unit should do.

We only really fit the OEM modules now as I personally think they're better than the Fiscon and we can supply and fit for less than with the Fiscon unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd heard that the bluetooth is only compatible with certain phones as per a previous post I've read.

Can the Shark folks confirm if a HTC Desire (Android) would work with an OEM module? If so, what would a rough installation price be on a new Octy vRS with standard 3 spoke steering wheel, no MFSW. Would it integrate with the Maxidot and Bolero?

Rich

I'd heard that the bluetooth is only compatible with certain phones as per a previous post I've read.

Can the Shark folks confirm if a HTC Desire (Android) would work with an OEM module? If so, what would a rough installation price be on a new Octy vRS with standard 3 spoke steering wheel, no MFSW. Would it integrate with the Maxidot and Bolero?

Rich

Depends which module is fitted - a 5N0 module wont work with a HTC Desire, whereas a 3C8 Module, will.

Al.

Rich

We have fitted modules for people with Andriod phones and they have worked perfectly OK :thumbup:

The upgrade supplied and fitted is £399 including VAT.

Thanks

Rupert, did you have any luck getting this sorted?

I'm in the same boat and trying to get the OEM kit fitted.

Ben (shark_90) of Shark Performance in Mansfield professionally removed the Fiscon kit and fitted the OEM, which is fantastic - it integrates properly with the Bolero, the microphone is concealed in the roof lamp thing (where the Octavia is designed to have it) and it sports high quality audio over Bluetooth, which works really well with my iPhone. Ben also ran diagnostics as part of the fitting, revealing a fault in a Climatronic valve actuator, which he kindly printed out for me. He also spotted some damage that the guy who installed the Fiscon kit had caused, which gave me a bit of leverage with the dealer, who at that point weren't falling over themselves to do a full refund for the Fiscon kit.

In short, I have no reservations about recommending Shark Performance to you. It's well worth a very large detour.

• 1 year later...

I have a Fiscon kit installed by the dealer and it is working fine, syncs with my HTC Sensation XE with no issues. We had a slight problem with getting the bluetooth audio function working, however I found the codes for that and have BT-audio working. There are a couple of things I would like to iron out:

Getting track names and playback control using AVRCP in Bluetooth Audio if it is possible, it would be real nice...

Getting the show digital data of the car like speed, etc working. I'm sort of confused on this topic, if anyone can give me a breakdown of what is required to get this going I'd be very appreciative.

Car is new 2012 model, NO MFSW, Bolero HU, Fiscon bluetooth. How do I know if I have a Maxidot display? Or is that a general name for the white on black display between the dials?

I too have a Fiscon Basic Plus kit fitted and it works fine with my Samsung Galaxy S3, however I am struggling on how to get the music, which is on a micro sd card in the phone, playing on the stereo. I have managed to get it playing through bluetooth but the quality is so poor it can't be right, I get better quality on the phone speaker! I have the MDI in the glove box (on an iPod attachment) which I have changed for a micro USB to fit the phone, but when I connect the phone that way and select "aux in" on the stereo the stereo says "no files found" - there's flippin loads on there - and plays nothing.

The phone connects fine for calls etc, it even displays the phone contacts, but would love to find out how I can play the music on my phone, in decent quality over the car speakers. I've even tried to update the Fiscon software which, according to the instructions, can be done when the phone is connected to the stereo by dialling *582#2025 just says "MMI started" whatever that means?!

Anyone got any ideas?

I too have a Fiscon Basic Plus kit fitted and it works fine with my Samsung Galaxy S3, however I am struggling on how to get the music, which is on a micro sd card in the phone, playing on the stereo. I have managed to get it playing through bluetooth but the quality is so poor it can't be right, I get better quality on the phone speaker! I have the MDI in the glove box (on an iPod attachment) which I have changed for a micro USB to fit the phone, but when I connect the phone that way and select "aux in" on the stereo the stereo says "no files found" - there's flippin loads on there - and plays nothing.

The phone connects fine for calls etc, it even displays the phone contacts, but would love to find out how I can play the music on my phone, in decent quality over the car speakers. I've even tried to update the Fiscon software which, according to the instructions, can be done when the phone is connected to the stereo by dialling *582#2025 just says "MMI started" whatever that means?!

Anyone got any ideas?

The Fiscon Basic only streams to the front speakers, fine for phone calls but not good for music.

What files are your music saved as?

Ah, didn't realise that it only streams to front speakers (it's the "Fiscon Basic Plus" if that makes any difference). All my music is in mp3 format (and DRM free). I've ordered a usb VW factory lead (second hand) to go into the MDI post in the glove box, so I'll experiment when I get that by either connecting the phone (with the addition of a micro usb to standard usb => into the MDI lead) or a memory stick or portable hard drive.

It would be nice not to have to faff about connecting the phone by wire but I guess bluetooth won't give me decent quality unless I change the head unit / Fiscon add on.

Ah, didn't realise that it only streams to front speakers (it's the "Fiscon Basic Plus" if that makes any difference). All my music is in mp3 format (and DRM free). I've ordered a usb VW factory lead (second hand) to go into the MDI post in the glove box, so I'll experiment when I get that by either connecting the phone (with the addition of a micro usb to standard usb => into the MDI lead) or a memory stick or portable hard drive.

It would be nice not to have to faff about connecting the phone by wire but I guess bluetooth won't give me decent quality unless I change the head unit / Fiscon add on.

You'll never get the music files on your SIII going through MDI unless you run a custom ROM. The MDI only works when USB mass storage is enabled on the device plugged into it, and the SIII stock ROMs only support MDP as the phone storage is not partitioned off as per older Android phones. If you root the device there are utilities to mount the SD card as USB mass storage devices...

Fiscon is awful for media streaming (had one in my Octavia) but worked great for phone calls etc. and overall I was happy with it but if I was getting bluetooth today I would go OEM every time. Only reason I didn't is that at the time I bought my Octavia, the OEM bluetooth was rSAP only which meant my iphone wasn't supported.

The extra features on the Fiscon (speed temp etc) are not available on the facelift Octavias

• Like 1

Thanks Raglits, I thought as much. So the only way to get the music on my S3 streaming through the MDI lead (I've just got a usb socket one off ebay) is to root the phone (which I'd rather not do).

I guess I'll invest in a memory stick or some type of mass storage device to leave connected in the car - any recommendations / points to be aware of?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...