The Fabia vRS Review and Photo thread

vRSy

Im not photograpgher, and I've onyl got a point & shoot Fuji finepix camera but since it was in my car and I wa sbored on the way home from work thought I'd take these. Not been photoshopped as I can't use that.

dd2082c2.jpg

5ab7cec0.jpg

Supporting the club:

7220b4e7.jpg

2d71c9f6.jpg

:)

Sorry if this Review i am linking is already posted,

but it was one of the first i read, enjoyed and paid any real attention to.

(well it and the EVO track article between the vRS and a Lacia Delta Integra Evo, (EVO 154, March 2011)

and

maybe the EVO article with a Blue/white roof vRS in the Dales which i tottally disagreed as i read it, with having already tried a TSi

and even more now having owned one,

i am pleased to have ignored the Drivers views from EVO back then on the DSG & the 'XDS' and making up my own mind and buying one.)

http://www.drivingsp...abia-vrs-review

george

EDIT, Correction, sorry my bad.

The Blue/White vRS is in 'Top Gear' magazine 214, Feb 2011,

'Risky Business' , Hardknott and Wrynose passes.

'Eskdale.'

http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/hardknott-pass.htm

Edited by sk4gw

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing it out the window... like the rain on the green....

img0509uf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

not a great pic on examination (crappy iphone3 pic) you cant see the rain beading on the roof, and the light shining the rallye green like you can out my window! lol... anyway.... goona post regardless :)

• Like 1

I keep seeing it out the window... like the rain on the green....

img0509uf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

not a great pic on examination (crappy iphone3 pic) you cant see the rain beading on the roof, and the light shining the rallye green like you can out my window! lol... anyway.... goona post regardless :)

How do you find this for instructing, I'd love one but my wife keeps saying no, help me convince her!!! I have a red Monte Carlo for my manual car, love it to bits :-)

its fantastic. the learners love it (tried a pupils own car, toyota auris auto, and its the worst auto box I've ever tried!!)sooo smooth, works brilliantly for manouvers, and the hill holder ect, never had any problems (33k happy miles) , although my wheels are a little scuffed, price you pay when they are out on the test on their own! had a nice pass yesterday with 2 minors :) the examiners like it ;)

I only do it part time, but the fuel economy isnt too bad, did a lesson with LOTS of town and manouvering , and got 35 mpg.. 40 + out of town.. for a full timer this may not be good enough.. depends how much you charge, I get £25 an hour, some of the manual people may have cars doing 50 + mpg, but they are only charging circa £18-20 per hour! :o so I still do ok by comparison ;) (maybe even better even at 30 mpg!!)

insurance is a bit of a problem (group 28 ish?!) I'm with instructorcoverplus (underwritten by allianz) who I have been with for many many years, when trying to ring around last time though, I found all the other compaies I tried wouldnt insure it! too high a gruop for learners... but then some wont insure me because I only do it part time! (how odd is that?) on my cert. it says main job : Medical technitian (I'm an EMT for the ambulance service) and part-time: drivivng instructor... (same cover, professional indemnety, replacement car, under 17's off road ect ect)

best car for learners I have ever had... but then they cant hurt an automatic like they can a manual lol!

• Like 1

its fantastic. the learners love it (tried a pupils own car, toyota auris auto, and its the worst auto box I've ever tried!!)sooo smooth, works brilliantly for manouvers, and the hill holder ect, never had any problems (33k happy miles) , although my wheels are a little scuffed, price you pay when they are out on the test on their own! had a nice pass yesterday with 2 minors :) the examiners like it ;)

I only do it part time, but the fuel economy isnt too bad, did a lesson with LOTS of town and manouvering , and got 35 mpg.. 40 + out of town.. for a full timer this may not be good enough.. depends how much you charge, I get £25 an hour, some of the manual people may have cars doing 50 + mpg, but they are only charging circa £18-20 per hour! :o so I still do ok by comparison ;) (maybe even better even at 30 mpg!!)

insurance is a bit of a problem (group 28 ish?!) I'm with instructorcoverplus (underwritten by allianz) who I have been with for many many years, when trying to ring around last time though, I found all the other compaies I tried wouldnt insure it! too high a gruop for learners... but then some wont insure me because I only do it part time! (how odd is that?) on my cert. it says main job : Medical technitian (I'm an EMT for the ambulance service) and part-time: drivivng instructor... (same cover, professional indemnety, replacement car, under 17's off road ect ect)

best car for learners I have ever had... but then they cant hurt an automatic like they can a manual lol!

Thank you for that info, I'm a full timer, I have a red Monte (75) for my manual, superb car (looks and drive) and get around 48-55 depending on lesson type, have tried my bosses Kia Rio and don't seem to get any better economy from it although they are meant to be much better on fuel.

Today I test drove a VRS with just under 10k on the clock, so smooth compared to my Peugeot 207 auto (120bhp), fell in love with it apart from road noise, really loud compared to my Monte. Roads where I live are the worst in the UK (Isle of Wight), do you know how high a wall tyre I can fit on the standard rims and if that will help much?

I am thinking of buying new now too with the 'no VAT' offer putting a new one just over 14,000 and the one I drove today at 12,495 surely the new one is the way to go?

My fears about VRS problems have been eased by reading many threads on here, fingers crossed I'll get a good one if I do get one :-)

I rang IC+ about insurance and they said it's not a problem, amazingly I would only have to add £44 to my policy for the remainder from now to Feb, I'm sure I only pay around £400 a year anyway so I am gobsmacked at that price, I'll double check before purchasing the car though!!!

thanks for your reply, very useful.

the gearbox really is amzing in comparison for other auto's, especially for lessons. I have another pupil does lessons in her own car, and thats a pug 207 auto, so I can understand your comparisons />

I bought mine new too, took advantage of the no VAT offer, thought I'd be stupid not to!

I did a poll on here, there are more good ones than bad ones! lol... watch the oil consumption when new, and it will take 10k or so to be givivng good fuel economy... I can get 50 + mpg on my way to work now (33k) not that much on a lesson! lol... I think if you get a bad one you know straight away, you eithr get a perfect gearbox or a dog.... I spoke to someone who knows a skoda master tech, and he says the 7-speed dry clutch DGS is the most reliable they do, no inherent problems, and they generally last 150-200k without issues, mine is up to 33k , has never missed a beat, and is still working "as new". some unlucky people on here have had them replaced...but have had problems from new!

as for the oil consumption, I would advise you DON'T run it in gently. Drive it "normally" if it needs full revs, and the red line, do it! (mine was bouncing off the rev limiter on a slip road away from the garage with 14 miles on it ;)) and here is my oil record... (I like to drive "briskly" when enjoying the car ;) it will be at the "ring" in Germany in sept!)

1st 10k: 1 litre.

10-20k: 250 mill (but I was being anal.. it didnt really need topping up! was 18k and about 3/4 up!)

20-33k: no oil used at all :)

so I guess its all good now :) read the manual too. oil is to be checked when the engine is WARM. and you should NOT top up if its in the top part of the dipstick... (there are pics in the manual)

insurance sounds about right, I pay £360 a year (but I may have a less risk postcode to you!)

and enjoy your new car! like I said, most of them are good,remember, people who have problems come to forums to look for answers. My pupils love it, the one with the (new!) auris, says she's gonna get rid for a VAG DSG car lol.. and if you are really worried about the gearbox ect , check out the octavia/superb sections where taxi drivers are running over 200k without issues. :) I think the twincharged engine is the star of the show!

as for tyres, they are super low profile, so noisy, and they tramline a bit.... my winter size is 205/45/17, this has a higher sidewall, and is more comfortable, and less noisy, but you loose the "sharpness" of the turn in on the steering.. some on her all shouted up "but thats above the reccomended 3% change in profile!" I know. but they were fitted by my local skoda garage, who officially approved that the size could be used. my insurance company said, as long as its skoda approved fitment, we dont need to know! it is enough of a change to affect the speedo though.. normall (compaired to GPS) it reads about 2-5 mph fast... with 205/45/17's on, it reads bang on ACCURATE! so you need to be very sure of your speed ;) it may cure your ride issues though ! :) I keep it on 205/40/17's in summer, as I like the go-kart like handling ;)

most common mod is to go for 215/40/17 tyres, which will increase your sidewall a little, but still within reccomended tollerances.. this is the size on the polo GTI, cupra, ect ect. this may be enough to help :) I haven't done this , as they are more expensive (I just had some 205/40/17 kumho KU39's on the frot at £66 each fitted!) cheap as chips, and still perform well.

let me know how it goes! feel free to PM me with any issues, or a review, how your pupils get on ect ect :)

enjoy your new car!

and Confide: Nice pics!!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments...

Guess I have to add some more now, huh?

I personally feel that there is alot too little tire-burning here and alot too much polish ;).

Just joking, you'll get the pics here anyways!

large_241122-2835214.jpg

large_241122-2835217.jpg

large_241122-2835219.jpg

Lilys of peace!

Found some old paints in the garage today so thought i would get artistic in the sun with the boring looking engine cover from my vrs. (exactly same colour scheme as the post above) So in keeping with the theme i got cracking :) now be honest of what you think! just not too honest i have feelings ha.

554988_10151965275400249_1262984227_n.jpg

gotta replace the badge to, as i took the old all black skoda one off.

Edited by Sprzy

ha yeah thanks. Any ideas on what i could put in the middle where the badge goes? im thinking a carbon fibre vrs badge type thing maybe that would be nice!

just put it on looks pretty good ill upload a pic in abit.