Plasma TV buzzing, Comet won't exchange

I bought a Panasonic 42" G20 plasma TV on Saturday. It is making a buzzing noise . So today i called comet. They have informed me that they cannot replace it as it is normal for plasmas to Buzz. Now i haven't made apoint of listening to loads of plasmas to see if they do buzz but several colleagues have plasmas and they inform me that theirs don't. My wife can't hear ours as she sits at a slight angle to the screen but i can definately hear it. It changes pitch with brighter scenes.

Comet have said they can send an engineer round but if it is deemed "normal" plasma buzz i would have to pay £60 for the call out.

I asked the lady on the phone what level is considered normal? Obviously she didn't have an answer. lol.

I am not sure what to do now tbh. I love the telly but i am a little dissapointed because of the buzzing.

Can they really refuse to exchange it?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Panasonic 42" G20 plasma TV on Saturday. It is making a buzzing noise . So today i called comet. They have informed me that they cannot replace it as it is normal for plasmas to Buzz. Now i haven't made apoint of listening to loads of plasmas to see if they do buzz but several colleagues have plasmas and they inform me that theirs don't. My wife can't hear ours as she sits at a slight angle to the screen but i can definately hear it. It changes pitch with brighter scenes.

Comet have said they can send an engineer round but if it is deemed "normal" plasma buzz i would have to pay £60 for the call out.

I asked the lady on the phone what level is considered normal? Obviously she didn't have an answer. lol.

I am not sure what to do now tbh. I love the telly but i am a little dissapointed because of the buzzing.

Can they really refuse to exchange it?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comet do a 7 day return policy. http://www.comet.co.uk/static/services/your-order/changing-your-mind

Phil

Afraid so.

because the 'buzzing' could be anything, yes the TV but you may have something in the house causing the buzzing. WIFI/Radio/hearing aid/High output amp anything which causes an electrical distubance.

How about you offer comet the idea of send the engineer and pay after he has been as if he finds something wrong then no charge should be applied?

after working for them for 5 years, and the last stint of that on the Customer service desk. just because a TV is buzzing slightly does not mean it is not working to manufactures standards, as you say your wife cannot hear it but you can, have you got sensitive hearing? as these screens are pockets of gasses with electrical current run through them. as well as the back lit screen.

What are you running the display settings on? if its on Dynamic please change to normal for the sake of the screen and also see if that cures this Buzz

Afraid so.

because the 'buzzing' could be anything, yes the TV but you may have something in the house causing the buzzing. WIFI/Radio/hearing aid/High output amp anything which causes an electrical distubance.

How about you offer comet the idea of send the engineer and pay after he has been as if he finds something wrong then no charge should be applied?

after working for them for 5 years, and the last stint of that on the Customer service desk. just because a TV is buzzing slightly does not mean it is not working to manufactures standards, as you say your wife cannot hear it but you can, have you got sensitive hearing? as these screens are pockets of gasses with electrical current run through them. as well as the back lit screen.

What are you running the display settings on? if its on Dynamic please change to normal for the sake of the screen and also see if that cures this Buzz

The buzzing is definatley the TV. Don't get me wrong, its not deafening. lol. Just irritating. After having my Samsung LCD that was totally silent i am a little dissapointed.

I am an electrician myself and it sounds to me as though it is the power supply that makes the noise and like i said it changes frequency depending on the brighness of the screens.

I am not running the display in Dynamic mode, it is either in THX or normal. But i have tried all the modes and adjusted contrast and brightness settings to their lowes levels and it still makes a buzzing sound.

I have heard of people installing some acoustic foam to the wall behind where the TV is mounted. I guess i could try something like this as a last resort.

I would just take it back to the shop and demand a refund. You don't pay £££'s for a TV to buzz. I have exchanged a couple of items with Commet and never had a problem, so perhaps the person you spoke to on the phone was just being a numpty.

I would just take it back to the shop and demand a refund. You don't pay £££'s for a TV to buzz. I have exchanged a couple of items with Commet and never had a problem, so perhaps the person you spoke to on the phone was just being a numpty.

Been on the phone with them again. Asked for specific figure in decibels and a distance over which i should or should not be able to hear the noise. Obviously they cant answer that.

They offered again to send an engineer who will see if it is normal or not. I pointed out that there really should be some sort of official noise level that was normal otherwise it is just subjective to the engineers hearing.

If i turn up at the store with it they will still have to test it and listen to the noise and determine if its normal or not before deciding what to do. So that way i have no telly.

Or they can send an engineer to my house who can decide it its normal or not. If he thinks it is ok i might have to pay £60. :wall:

What happened to being able to just take things back and get an exchange.

I am really pi55ed off now.

I've also previously found Comet to be not the most helpful in their attitude after something has been sold.

Did you have it delivered or pick it up yourself as the distance selling act could come into play and how about checking the store model to see how quiet/loud that one is compared to yours?

I've also previously found Comet to be not the most helpful in their attitude after something has been sold.

Did you have it delivered or pick it up yourself as the distance selling act could come into play and how about checking the store model to see how quiet/loud that one is compared to yours?

I collected it. I am off to have a listen to the ones in store. Depending on what they are like i may get the so called engineer out.

Long shot here ,but is the power supply sitting on a glass unit or hardwood flooring? Our Virgin box makes an irritating ticking noise when recording or playing back, This is due to the hard drive, but is exacerbated by the fact it is on a glass unit.My other suggestion is try the tv in another place with nothing else plugged into it to eliminate the possible interference. Mind you I am teaching granny to knit here :giggle: as you state you are a spark.

Hope you get a result.

Kathy

Long shot here ,but is the power supply sitting on a glass unit or hardwood flooring? Our Virgin box makes an irritating ticking noise when recording or playing back, This is due to the hard drive, but is exacerbated by the fact it is on a glass unit.My other suggestion is try the tv in another place with nothing else plugged into it to eliminate the possible interference. Mind you I am teaching granny to knit here :giggle: as you state you are a spark.

Hope you get a result.

Kathy

TV is wall mounted. checked all fixings. It is certainly an electrical component that is buzzing.

Thanks for the input though.

TV is wall mounted. checked all fixings. It is certainly an electrical component that is buzzing.

Thanks for the input though.

Sounds like an odd one but.

Go an put the Washing machine on, tumbel dryer, dishwasher, computer, plug phone in, laptop and see if the buzzing gets worse or the same.

This is just a long shot!

Oh and also they are fully qualified engineers who come to look at the apliences.

Have you spoken to Panasonic about the issue, see what their take on it is? They might also be able to supply you with a few more technical specs about that model. And what's considered within manufacturing tolerances etc.

Steve

I've got the same Panasonic TV (G20 - but the 50"), and mine doesn't buzz (well let's put it this way, when the sound has been muted, I can't hear any buzzing)............... My old 32" Panasonic LCD display does buzz, and I was told that upgrading the software fixes it (so far it hasn't - I suspect it is the PSU)

My G20 is currently sitting on top of an IKEA TV stand, with nothing else connected to it.

I would have to agree with Wardy and give Panasonic a call and see what they say.

Justin

You have consumer rights. As you only bought it Saturday, take it back and get another one. You don't have to have an engineer out as the TV 'is faulty from new'. If the new one does the same then take it back for a refund. If it annoys you then it is not of reasonable quality for you which considering you have spent £x amount on it then you are entitled to something right for you.

Been to Comet and checked out the one in store. It makes the same buzzing as mine.

The wife and the mother in law cannot hear it on ours unless they stand right upto the tv. Maybe its my lug holes that are faulty. lol I can notice it from where i sit to watch it. maybe 8 to 10 ft away.

Don't see what i can do now really. Maybe some acoustic tiles behind the tv. I am sure someone on one of the AV forums did a similar thing to block the Buzz he could hear from his plasma.

Comet have told me that if i turn up instore with it they will listen and then decide if the sound is normal. I can't just turn up and get a refund.

I love the TV though it has an amazing picture quality on SD and HD sources.

Edited by Guest

Dad has that TV and his doesn't buzz. I would get a refund and buy elsewhere, my experience of Comet customer service lately has been an abysmal one, so the answer you've been given doesn't surprise me!

I can't get a refund/replacement unless their engineer says it is a fault and if he doesn't it could cost me £60 anyway.

Seeing as the one in the shop sounds the same i wonder what my chances are.

I can't get a refund/replacement unless their engineer says it is a fault and if he doesn't it could cost me £60 anyway.

Seeing as the one in the shop sounds the same i wonder what my chances are.

Yes you can - you are the consumer and if the buzzing isn't acceptable to you or detailed in the spec/instruction manual then it is technically a fault. Whether the staff in store think it is acceptable or not is nothing to do with it. I for one can't stand buzzing appliances and have taken things back in the past if they do this. The law is on your side. Comet will try and wriggle out of it but just keep saying that under the Sales of Goods Act it is not of 'reasonable quality' and the fact you have had it less than a week. :no:

Comet have told me that if i turn up instore with it they will listen and then decide if the sound is normal. I can't just turn up and get a refund.

Could be worth seeing if they'll negotiate an exchange for a different product? They might be more receptive to that than a full refund. Of course, if you're not interested in an exchange then just go back and say you're not happy with the product and ask for a refund. Stay there until they oblige. :)

Could be worth seeing if they'll negotiate an exchange for a different product? They might be more receptive to that than a full refund. Of course, if you're not interested in an exchange then just go back and say you're not happy with the product and ask for a refund. Stay there until they oblige. :)

They have told me the same thing for an exchange or refund. They have to test the tv and decide if it is normal.

They have told me the same thing for an exchange or refund. They have to test the tv and decide if it is normal.

Its not up to them to test the TV - you aren't happy with the buzzing so the SOGA comes into play.

If i bought a brand new car and the bonnet was dented, the car to all intents is drivable as described....doesn't mean you have no rights....