oil consumption

Hi,can anyone help clear up what acceptable limits of oil consumption are on the 200bhp tfsi engine are. I have raised my concerns with dealership since new and they keep telling me its in tolerance. The car is now over three years old with 32000 miles on clock. It has just used 1 litre of oil in 800 miles,surely this is way more than a modern engine should be using. Any remarks or comment would be most appreciated as i will either have to sell it or get onto skoda uk as this problem has been on going for some time.

Hi

I have a five and a half year old 2.0 TDI Octy with 127,000 miles on it. has a longlife service every 18,000 or so miles and has a treat of regular oil top ups between servicing - this can be 3 to four litres. My theory is that is tries to do its own oil change by using oil!!! LOL

1 litre in 800miles is very high consumption. That's roughly a pint in 400 miles. Back in the 'old days' you'd rebuild an engine when it hit 600 miles per pint.

Seems to me like you have a problem there. Might be worth getting an independent inspection (compression test, emission, borescope exam)

My 2008 TFSI uses very little between services (probably about half a litre between yearly services). I ran it in very carefully from new (as with all previous cars I've had - and never had an oil consumption problem).

Its not clear whether you are the original owner. If the car was bought used its possible that it was not run in properly.

I purchased my previous VRS when it was a 6 months old demonstartor with around 12000 miles on it. Oil consumption was ok until around 2 years/20000 miles when it started to increase, up to around 1 litre/1500miles. I pointed this out at a service but the service manager insisted it was normal consumption . After servicing oil consumption dropped significantly for about 6 months then would increase again until the next service when the cycle repeated itself, though I dont think it was quite as bad again.

I think we also need to know how the vehicle is used before we can comment properly. What's your driving pattern?

My oil consumption is fairly high and seems to have gone up oflate, however I am currently doing lots of short journeys and with the weather being so cold the engine doesn't always get up to temperature.

Your consumption does seem a little high, i'd be quite worried if 800 miles/litre is considered within tolerance :S

1 litre per 800 miles normal? Your dealer is taking the p1$$!

My last Octavia was a 1.9TDi - between 18,000 mile variable services I needed to add half a litre - generally went for its service with level half way between min and max. So it used 1litre every 18,000 miles over the whole of the 56000 miles I had it.

The new 1.8TSi has now done 3500 miles and the oil level has dropped a smidgin but nowhere near enough to warrant a top-up yet.

My VRS TFSI is about 3.5 years old at 41k miles.

I use about half a litre between annual 10k services. It's been about that since new.

I know what the manufacturers say is acceptable is a long way from what I'd find acceptable.

I've been using compatible oil from Halfords without issue.

• 3 months later...

Mine is turning out to be horrendous. 5 litres in 2000 miles is simnply ridiculous, it's costing me £30 a month in oil alone.

How much??... i would get that checked mate thats a serious amount of oil its using.

I have a MK5 Golf GTI with the 2.0 TSI engine in, 75K on the clock, owned since new. I took it easy on the car 1st 10K. It is well maintained but is driven hard.

The oil usage has gone up since new, before 1st 10k service it required around 0.25 ltr whereas now it uses about 1.5 lts between services.

I consider this excessive.

Whatever it says in the manual is their criterion. My old 1.9 PD Passat used around 3 litres between 10,000 mile services. My current 2.0 PD started out at that rate so I stocked up with top up oil. It demanded a litre on the motorway last year but only needed 1/2l. Err, not sure but I'm guessing 2 liters ish for my annual 17,000 miles?

From what I've read over the years what a manufacturer says is within tolerance is often a long way from what a normal person would call reasonable.

My 07 TFSI has 45k and uses 0.5-1l of oil between services. Strangely it started out on variable and is now on fixed but still uses about the same amount of oil between the service.

Usage isn't very even, it does tent to stay at 3/4 max for a long time then suddenly drop to 1/4.

Both of mine have been driven hard under varied loads from day 1 (once up to temp), neither has a drink problem (touch wood!).

Wish they'd put more sensible instructions in the owners manual -- if followed as per manual, you'll all but guarantee an oil drinker.

Maybe that's the intention -- burn off some oil on long life service plans to ensure some fresh oil is added every so often.

It would be interesting to know what oil you guys are using.I found that switching to Mobil 1 formula ESP 5W30 from Valvoline Synpower 5W30 cut oil consumption down on my TFSI by 60 per cent.Oil and its specs is very important IMHO. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I agree with Grizzle!

Indeed so do I. Though I have checked the amount and its not as bad as that. I have used 3 litres in 2200 miles.

Is there a low oil level warning light, or just a low presure warning? I had one come on (hence I discovered it had a problem), luckily coasted to a garage nearby and topped up with 3 litres. Its impossible to tell how full it is now, as the dipstick just gets smeared all over when i retract it.....

Oh, and I also have a faulty throttle body - it hunts at idle between 500 rpm, slowly increases to 1500 - 2000 rom then drop back to 500. Repeat cycle every 15s or so. It also hangs onto the revs when decelerating which is slightly unnerving at first.

Oh, and I also have a faulty throttle body - it hunts at idle between 500 rpm, slowly increases to 1500 - 2000 rom then drop back to 500. Repeat cycle every 15s or so. It also hangs onto the revs when decelerating which is slightly unnerving at first.

Are you sure it's the throttle body and not the pcv?

A blown pcv will cause it to idle badly and drink oil.

Mine uses approx 1litre every 3k miles. It's an 07 and done 100k. Assuming 18k between services on variable servicing that's 6 litres between services. Does anyone know the oil capacity of the engine? I wonder if an oil change is ever required at this rate!

Why did you top up with three litres? The low oil level light (RTFM) is supposed to indicate that one litre is needed. In my car's case actually just 1/2 litre.

Assuming that you have really overfilled that much, the catalyst may now be gubbed and the excess oil will do no good at all, possibly spewing past oil seals.

Are you sure it's the throttle body and not the pcv?

A blown pcv will cause it to idle badly and drink oil.

Dealer diagnosis was broken throttle body sensor, there was a piece of it rattling around.

Picking it up in a couple of hours hopefully sorted (under warranty thankfully). I doubt it has affected oil consumption as the problem only happened a week ago.