rSAP Bluetooth to HandsFree - Sucess!

I'm confused here so if I get this module I still won't get the text message option on my Columbus with my iPhone 3gs ? My iPhone connects always and it shows up on my Columbus all options less texts so is there any point in buying the new module ?

I'm confused here so if I get this module I still won't get the text message option on my Columbus with my iPhone 3gs ? My iPhone connects always and it shows up on my Columbus all options less texts so is there any point in buying the new module ?

I think that you already have the new unit!!! or probably the one that accepts only standard bluetooth protocol.

If your non rSAP phone, like iPhone, is already connected with the car (and Columbus) for sure is connceted with standard bluetooth protocol. Text (sms) is only accesible if you connect an rSAP phone.

Check your device model number and let us know.

Regards

Sorry for late reply; I've been away for the past week...

If your car has a connection to an iPhone (no matter which model) you will (probably) have a new(er) unit, which (should) support both rSAP and HFP. - just slide the drivers seat back, slide the cover forward and check the number.

the TXT messaging, on older rSAP only units, allowed users to read messages on the MFD.

newer units, connected on rSAP, have the ability to read txt's and write them on the Columbus unit.

phones connected with HFP (standard hands free ability) will transfer contacts, but that's about it.

no iPhone has rSAP. (Full stop, be it 2g, 3g, 3gs, or 4g and i presume this will be the same on the new 5g when released)

Hope that helps!

Al.

Hello,

As per my previous posts I have the new unit for few days now.

Currently I'm using an HTC touch HD which supports rSAP. Sometimes the phone is connected using rSAP and sometimes another bluetooth connection. Could anyone explain this. Please note that on my HTC rSAP is always on.

As the phone supports rSAP I prefer it because I can get the sms on Columbus and also I believe that the reception is better.

Best Regards

To put it simply, the bluetooth stack on the Touch HD is rubbish. I recently worked with HTC on improving this, and did lots of testing of rSAP for them when the HD2 came out.

What happens is that the car first tries to make an rSAP connection to the phone. In some cases, this connection times out at the phone side, and the car falls back to HFP protocol (which works, as it's much more reliable in WM). In actual fact, it's not the rSAP part of the connection that fails. The car tries to do two things. Firstly, it checks to see if rSAP is supported. If it is, then it checks to see if ABP (Address Book Protocol) is supported. It then tries to download the phonebook into the car. It's usually the phonebook download that fails, especially if any of your entries have special characters (i.e. non-english).

I did find that the very latest bluetooth stack worked much better in the HD2, so it might be worth finding a custom ROM that is built with the most recent WM6.5 software. The XDA Developers website is bound to have something that would help.

Check out:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=453

for more information, and ROM downloads.

Hope that helps,

Andy.

Edited by Bagpuss

I use a Galaxy S but want my wife's phone to be able to connect as well which is non rsap phone. Anyay I installed the new unit 'D' and the Galaxy connects fine as does my wifes phone - great - EXCEPT my Galaxy now wont connect with rsap like it used to !!! So I dont get the added functionality !!!! Anything I can do ? Can somebody suggest anything ? FYI this replaces a 'B' unit with a columbus satnav system in my Octavia.

I use a Galaxy S but want my wife's phone to be able to connect as well which is non rsap phone. Anyay I installed the new unit 'D' and the Galaxy connects fine as does my wifes phone - great - EXCEPT my Galaxy now wont connect with rsap like it used to !!! So I dont get the added functionality !!!! Anything I can do ? Can somebody suggest anything ? FYI this replaces a 'B' unit with a columbus satnav system in my Octavia.

I had a "C" unit before.

I tried my old phone that is connected with normal bluetooth and then I tried my HTC. It is connected with rSAP. Delete your Galaxy from the car’s phones and try pair it again from the beginning.

In my case when I turn on the bleutooth on my rSAP phone I have to wait for some seconds before turning the ignition switch on to get connected. In case I turn on phone’s Bluetooth and in 2-3 seconds I enter the car the phone is paired using standard Bluetooth. It seems that the rSAP of the phone is activated a bit later.

I had a "C" unit before.

I tried my old phone that is connected with normal bluetooth and then I tried my HTC. It is connected with rSAP. Delete your Galaxy from the car’s phones and try pair it again from the beginning.

In my case when I turn on the bleutooth on my rSAP phone I have to wait for some seconds before turning the ignition switch on to get connected. In case I turn on phone’s Bluetooth and in 2-3 seconds I enter the car the phone is paired using standard Bluetooth. It seems that the rSAP of the phone is activated a bit later.

Thanks for that. I will try that. I had a bluetooth connection to the old unit on the phone called Skoda_rsap and the new one is called Skoda_bt. I have now cleared those off the phone and will delete off car and then start all over again. We will see ! Its just the Nokia didnt need it - it just worked straight away ! The dark arts of Bluetooth !

D

I deleted the previous rSAP bluetooth pairing on the phone from the previous module and tried again and that did the trick. Stupid really. But now it works like a dream and I have full 'Premium' service !! Thanks so much to Briskoda. Now to the Maps.....

Again success..

Easy took 2 mins why cant skoda have offered this????

Iphone 3G works great. week and a half from ordering on ebay and simple plug and play.

/thanks guys

Amazing isnt it ? Alot of people if they offered it would pay £300 just to get their system working properly. I fell out completely with Skoda Uk over this. They told me I was a liar and this would not work - and such an upgrade would be 'impossible'. The dealer supported me on this too, yet all I got was abuse and a flat rejection. It hasnt put me off the brand but......

D

Again success..

Iphone 3G works great. week and a half from ordering on ebay and simple plug and play.

/thanks guys

Hi Pedders i am trying to work out have i the Premium module or not , did ur iphone not work with ur old bluetooth module in any way ?? My iphone 3gs works on both maxidot and columbus so i may have the new module i looked under my seat to check the number but there is none just a steel casing covering the module and no number on it. I tried a Newish Nokia yesterday to see if the text option wud show up on Columbus unit but it didnt so i must not have rsap on my module not sure wether to order 1 or not

Hi Pedders i am trying to work out have i the Premium module or not , did ur iphone not work with ur old bluetooth module in any way ?? My iphone 3gs works on both maxidot and columbus so i may have the new module i looked under my seat to check the number but there is none just a steel casing covering the module and no number on it. I tried a Newish Nokia yesterday to see if the text option wud show up on Columbus unit but it didnt so i must not have rsap on my module not sure wether to order 1 or not

iPhone will NOT work (FULL STOP) with rSAP only bluetooth modules.

txt messaging is only available when connected via rSAP.

iPhone will only connect to the new modules, that support both rSAP and HFP.

Al.

iPhone will NOT work (FULL STOP) with rSAP only bluetooth modules.

txt messaging is only available when connected via rSAP.

iPhone will only connect to the new modules, that support both rSAP and HFP.

Al.

Cheers Al so i must have the latest module that supports rsAP and HFP i no iPhone dosent have RsAP it connects to columbus showing phonebook last calls,missed calls , speed dials and dial pad , but why didnt the nokia with remote sim option on it show a text on columbus when i paired it and sent a text ?? cant remember the phone model number

Cheers Al so i must have the latest module that supports rsAP and HFP i no iPhone dosent have RsAP it connects to columbus showing phonebook last calls,missed calls , speed dials and dial pad , but why didnt the nokia with remote sim option on it show a text on columbus when i paired it and sent a text ?? cant remember the phone model number

Was it (rSAP) turned on, on the phone? i know my old nokia e51 and 6300 you had to set the phone to be rSAP.

You can tell when it's connected with rSAP as the phones signal meter will have a 'x' and read no network.

I'm not sure of Irish spec cars, but mines a 2010 and was the old unit, they changed to rSAP and HFP in 2011 model year (from week 28 (?) in 2010, so sounds like yours is a late 2010?

Al.

Was it (rSAP) turned on, on the phone? i know my old nokia e51 and 6300 you had to set the phone to be rSAP.

You can tell when it's connected with rSAP as the phones signal meter will have a 'x' and read no network.

I'm not sure of Irish spec cars, but mines a 2010 and was the old unit, they changed to rSAP and HFP in 2011 model year (from week 28 (?) in 2010, so sounds like yours is a late 2010?

Al.

I have a E51 and that only pairs it wont load phonebook or last calls etc on the maxi or columbus , i think its a network problem ie o2 , vodafone etc

Yeh i had remote sim option turned on on the nokia it paired fine and loaded phonebook on maxi and had all the options on columbus bar text option

I bought my car in sept 2010 as a demo it must have been around march/april car , how can i upload a pic of my module on this topic ?? mine is different to the pics on this i tried insert image in post options but its looking for a url

Edited by barts2

I have a E51 and that only pairs it wont load phonebook or last calls etc on the maxi or columbus , i think its a network problem ie o2 , vodafone etc

Yeh i had remote sim option turned on on the nokia it paired fine and loaded phonebook on maxi and had all the options on columbus bar text option

I bought my car in sept 2010 as a demo it must have been around march/april car , how can i upload a pic of my module on this topic ?? mine is different to the pics on this i tried insert image in post options but its looking for a url

Hello,

A friend of mine bought a Yeti. He also has this steel casing covering the module. i have paired my HTC touch HD and it's only connected with the normal bluetooth connection (i.e. not an rSAP connection). It seems that this steel module is something like a GSMII module. I think that you have to check the connector on this unit. If it's like the photos on page one of this topic then probably will work. Then using the new unit your Nokia which has rSAP bluetooth, will give you sms on Columbus and also loud read out, bluetooth media player. Also the speach commands are working better that the old module. Also the phone book is automaticly updated if you enter new contacts in your phone. with the old unit you should manually update the phone book.

I hope this will help you.

Hello,

A friend of mine bought a Yeti. He also has this steel casing covering the module. i have paired my HTC touch HD and it's only connected with the normal bluetooth connection (i.e. not an rSAP connection). It seems that this steel module is something like a GSMII module. I think that you have to check the connector on this unit. If it's like the photos on page one of this topic then probably will work. Then using the new unit your Nokia which has rSAP bluetooth, will give you sms on Columbus and also loud read out, bluetooth media player. Also the speach commands are working better that the old module. Also the phone book is automaticly updated if you enter new contacts in your phone. with the old unit you should manually update the phone book.

I hope this will help you.

My phonebook updates auto on columbus it shows a popup screen when i add new entries

the pics here there is 1 big connector and a small pink 1 on the left of the pic well my 1 on the left is green and its like a wireless connector , no wire going to it at all

My phonebook updates auto on columbus it shows a popup screen when i add new entries

the pics here there is 1 big connector and a small pink 1 on the left of the pic well my 1 on the left is green and its like a wireless connector , no wire going to it at all

The ping wire is the antenna. The antenna on your unit is probably that green connector.

Have a look at this http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/VW-bluetooth-FAQ.htm

I was trying to pair a customers E51 the other day on a Golf,3C8 control box discussed here and it also would pair fine but no phonebook downloads,if you get to the bottom of it let me know.

Yeh dats my module Ap With the green connector I looked at the link u gave me thanks it don't say wether it's RSAP or not I must read it again. I won't be able to change it for the new module will I ? I don't have the pink antenna cable.

• 3 weeks later...

I have bought a new BT module and fitted it as per the various threads on this forum.

However although my phone connects it seems to be doing it though BT rather than Rsap, consequently my sim card will not transfer the contacts, as it did on the old module. Am I doing something stupid or what?

Rsap does not seem to be an option with my new module RNS 3C8035730A

Can someone who knows what they are doing offer me some advice. I have swapped back to the old unit to keep the phone book.

Edited by Lawlesstce

What do you mean, through BT?

the 3C8 Module, as the "D" prefix of the 5N0, connect with either, HFP (Hands Free Protocol) or rSAP.

They both establish a Bluetooth connection to the phone.

What Phone is it that you are using?

Al.

What do you mean, through BT?

the 3C8 Module, as the "D" prefix of the 5N0, connect with either, HFP (Hands Free Protocol) or rSAP.

They both establish a Bluetooth connection to the phone.

What Phone is it that you are using?

Al.

Hi Al, I am so frustrated with this.

Firstly, I am using an HTC Touch phone which connected to the original[2009] system; it connected and downloaded all of the SIM contatcts. The connection on the phone was to Skoda_rSAP which I deleted on the phone and car prior to swapping to the new module 5N0 035 730 D. When I switch on, the system searches for phones and finds the phone. Pairing takes place and the connection on the phone is now Skoda_bt the phone work but I cannot load the SIM contacts as before. There seems to be an alternative SIM connection mode available??, I have tried this but with no success.

I have now switched back to the original module; connect is now via Skoda rSAP [on my phone] and everything is back to square one. It seems I have spent £130 and cannot use the extras facilities because it will not offer the basics. What am I doing wrong???

Edited by Lawlesstce

Hi,

What are you looking for the new(er) module to do over the old?

I had connections issues with my BlackBerry in rSAP mode (It was so unbearably slow to connect, sometimes never at all, that i stopped using it, and began to use a bluetooth headset!) so changed it purely to gain a standard Bluetooth connection, using the new(er) function of Hands Free profile which is now, i must say, faultless!

The old one would allow reading of txt's on MFD, the new one (i believe, but never tried) adds txt sending on the Columbus (in rSAP mode only)

my BlackBerry, Connected in standard HFP mode, transfers and updates the phonebook without any issue. Telling the phone that it can have Bluetooth streaming, also bring up a logo on the MFD for this function, but i believe a firmware update is required to make this work with the Columbus. (I've never updated mine so far, apart from v7 maps)

Are the contacts only on the Sim? Maybe copy them onto the Phone? - Also phone and software is getting on in years now - is there a firmware update available for phone?

Al.

As you can see from my earlier posts I had to delete the original pairing to make it connect on rsap - but that was Galaxy and you have tried that anyway.

I have found bluetooth is a dark art and deleting all the pairings and trying again is all you can do - pain in the arse though.

Good luck.