Am I going mad!?

help! I own a 56reg vRS 2.0PD. When I bought it I expected to be doing a 300mile round trip to my (then) gf and daughter. 6 months after I bought it we split up, so now I only go up there every other week. I also do a 3 miles journey to work, then a 3mile journey to the gym, then a 3 mile journey home 5 days a week, with the long 300 mile round trip every other week.

I am the 4/5th owner (I forget) and have put around 10k on the clock (83k now) since I bought it. The only fault I have found is an engine management light that came on last week which, *touch wood touch wood* was due to a weeks worth of short journeys & the DPF sensor getting clogged. When I bought the car I expected to do around 18k a year, now I am doing around 12k.

Now, with the sensor causing me some worry last week, these repeated short journeys & me doing nowhere near as many long drives as I thought I would I had a sudden urge to sell it & go for an identical car (but in yellow, not blue) but petrol variant!

Selling it I would prob need an extra £750ish on top to buy the perfect petrol variant, but I would prob knock off 30-40k miles. I would also have it in yellow!

What to do! :(

Edited by Guest

Yes I would say you are defo going mad :giggle: Does your car actually have the DPF fitted? I only ask as I thought it was a bit later than an '06 plate when they sterted to be fitted. You should be able to tell by the options sticker in the handbook or by the spare wheel. In the bottom left corner of the sticker, one of the codes should be 7GG which I believe is the code for DPF fitted, if not then it will be 0GG.

I would have thought a trip of 300 miles every other week on top of the daily commute would be sufficient to keep things declogged.

Ian

Man up and get a petrol one ! Not sure about yellow though . . . :yes:

Seriously though it depends what you think the chances are of the ECU dying on you compared to buying another car which might also carry its own baggage?

You'll find loads on here about petrol vs diesel!

In my opinion, if you get the petrol, you'll be amazed at the difference in performance. I test drove both back to back, and it's night and day!

The petrol is significantly quicker & more responsive!

Good luck whatever you decide. Either way you'll have a great car!

Not interested in more performance, Shark performance helped me get all the power I need! :)

i feel like I have cheated on my car by thinking of replacing her for a younger model! I quite enjoy a mid week drive to blow the cobwebs out the system (O the car gets a good run once a week) and she has proven to be a real fighter with me ham fisting a touchscreen computer in-place of the radio & the amount of **** I have caused because of it! :p

Anyway, I just want a yellow car, my first post was just me trying to justify it! :p

All vRS TDIs have a DPF. You can always go back to Ben and get it removed and the map adjusted mind you ;)

But at the end of the day, if you want a yellow car... buy one :thumbup:

I really want a yellow car! :D. But the blue is also a damn fine substituted until the funds allow the purchase of my next car (hopefully an octy3 vRS). It is just so dirty atm, and blends in with all the mondassat-vauxscedes that stream through this poky town!.

With the long drive every other week, and a good long blast (20-30miles of fast motorways) once a week between hopefully the DPF Gods will be appeased. I do love the torquey engine & whilst I haven't driven a petrol It certainly isn't a factor that I have worries about. I just fear the short journeys come back to bite me later on! :(

Edit: How much is it to get the DPF removed Ben (or anyone who has had it done at Shark performance?). Any downsides to it?

Edited by Guest

Edit: How much is it to get the DPF removed Ben (or anyone who has had it done at Shark performance?). Any downsides to it?

Budget a couple of hundred, maybe three, and you'll not be far out.

I can't see any downsides to DPF removal on a car that's out of warranty.

tbh you should be able to do a swap with cash your way if you gor for a TFSI, unless you want a much newer car. If you buy yellow you should get a LOT of cash your way :giggle:

Short journeys can wreak havoc with diesels, particularly if you have a DPF, but many here have had no problems. The MPG may be quite low on such short journeys on a petrol, but then again you'll either be buying a cheaper or newer car and you'll probably enjoy driving it more. On such low mileage I'd take the petrol. I would however want cash my way to swap, or a much newer car as your fuel outlay will be higher.

You could always drop James at Allams an email? See if there's anything about in dealer stock that would fit your requirements.

You won't know if you don't ask :yes:

On a similar note..

I've asked this question elsewhere but I think I may get an answer here quicker....

I have an 8 month old vRS with 12K on the clock, it's a CR DPF but I've never had the DPF come on, despite my commute being 5 miles each way x 5 days a week.

I've toyed with the idea of going for a vRS petrol, but my guess is I'd lose out somewhere attempting this.... any thoughts? (i.e. straight swap for a similar age etc)

(When I bought the car I was doing 25K+ a year, but this has changed)

Edited by gorebrush

On a similar note..

I've asked this question elsewhere but I think I may get an answer here quicker....

I have an 8 month old vRS with 12K on the clock, it's a CR DPF but I've never had the DPF come on, despite my commute being 5 miles each way x 5 days a week.

I've toyed with the idea of going for a vRS petrol, but my guess is I'd lose out somewhere attempting this.... any thoughts? (i.e. straight swap for a similar age etc)

(When I bought the car I was doing 25K+ a year, but this has changed)

Someone else mentioned in another thread that due due to the VAT deal stopping on the diesels, you might actually be able to swap a lightly used diesel for a new petrol! I guess only a dealer would be able to confirm all of this.

I say do it. I have owned both the pd vRS and now have the Tsi vRS. There really is no comparison at all, and with a remap, the petrol has more torque than the diesel. My initial reason for swapping was the DPF, had to have mine replaced at a cost of over £1k. Luckily the warranty covered this, but I would never buy a car with one of those damned things fitted ever again.

Ok having done the maths, swapping for a petrol, even with my work commute of 2,600 miles a year (yes, two thousand six hundred miles), a petrol is a silly idea.

It works out £200 a year more expensive based on: -

Tax - £235 for a petrol vRS, £125 for a diesel

Petrol - £1.29 a litre, Diesel £1.33

Plus of course the diesel will hold its value, etc etc.

The only thing that would get me to change now is if my DPF starts playing silly buggers, and so far after nearly 3 months of my 5 mile each way to work commute - i'm not seeing a single problem.

And one other consideration is that when I do have a long run (to my dad's or further) I then get 50+MPG whereas I'd never see anything more than 35 in a petrol from what I've seen on here...

So, I'm staying put. :D

Ok having done the maths, swapping for a petrol, even with my work commute of 2,600 miles a year (yes, two thousand six hundred miles), a petrol is a silly idea.

The only thing that would get me to change now is if my DPF starts playing silly buggers, and so far after nearly 3 months of my 5 mile each way to work commute - i'm not seeing a single problem.

And one other consideration is that when I do have a long run (to my dad's or further) I then get 50+MPG whereas I'd never see anything more than 35 in a petrol from what I've seen on here...

That's very cheap based on the smile that will be permanently on your face! :thumbup:

I suppose, but I'm happy where I am :)

Considering I only get to play for 5 miles a trip generally, on 30 mph roads... I really should trade it in for a 1.2 Fabia and pay off the loan tbh!!

Tax on Petrol is £180 not £235. Also no cambelt to change every 4 yrs on petrol.

Yep, the current TSI unit is 175g, so band H: £250.00 1st year, £180.00 thereafter.

The TFSI units put out a bit more CO2, 187g, so are in the £235 bracket.