39% of Yeti's are 4x4

The Plumber

Skoda Auto news has an article on their recent 4x4 press day, which includes the persentage of sales for each model fitted with the 4x4 system

"15.5 percent of Octavia Combi customers selected the all-wheel version of the respective model in 2010. In case of the Superb and the Superb Combi, the figure was 5.4 percent, and 15.7 percent respectively. The Yeti recorded the highest demand for the 4x4 drive last year. 39 percent of customers chose the all-wheel version of this model during the first full production year. In markets such as the Alpine countries or Scandinavia, the percentages are even higher".

My link

TP

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skoda Auto news has an article on their recent 4x4 press day, which includes the persentage of sales for each model fitted with the 4x4 system

39 percent of customers chose the all-wheel version of this model during the first full production year.

It was purely because the Yeti offered a 4*4 version that I bought one, having looked at second hand Touaregs before being aware of the car.

And when/if I change again - it will more than likely be for another one. (The Combi???)

In markets such as the Alpine countries or Scandinavia, the percentages are even higher".

Well, my guess is that for Sweden the figures are reversed. So I'm a part of the minority here driving a 4x2 Yeti ... (never saw the need for a 4x4 since the roads are quite well cleared from snow here and I can't motivate the aditional cost and weight for something that could be useful having maximum once or twice a year)

/Stephan

So Skoda build a 4x4 and 61% of UK Yeti are 2WD; Hmm. :wonder:

I would have thought that the take up would/should be higher. Perhaps it shows that 4x4 isn't really needed?

For me though; I specifically bought the 4x4 for on road traction on a 'quattro' basis, as I was fed up with loosing traction on my Octavia vRS TDI having FWD only. ;)

Edited by bahnstormer vrs

I would have thought that the take up would/should be higher. Perhaps it shows that 4x4 isn't really needed?

For me though; I specifically bought the 4x4 for on road traction on a 'quattro' basis, as I was fed up with loosing traction on my Octavia vRS TDI having FWD only. ;)

My reasons for wanting the 4x4 are the same as yours but it has also done light off road duties also, amazingly well I'll add! :thumbup:

Im sitting here thinking almost 40% is a high percentage in these times of reducing outgoings and ownership costs etc. Also, we dont have the harshest winters in the UK, although they do appear to be getting worse.

Still a very nice car though, also with only the 2WD. :D But even more so with 4x4 of course.

/Stephan

If you include the manual & DSG versions, the 1.2 TSi accounts for one third of Yetis on this forum.

1. bullet_star_rated.png 1.2TSI (77 votes [22.71%] - View) Percentage of vote: 22.71%
  2. 1.8TSI 4x4 (27 votes [7.96%] - View) Percentage of vote: 7.96%
  3. 2.0TDI 110 (42 votes [12.39%] - View) Percentage of vote: 12.39%
  4. 2.0TDI 110 4x4 (11 votes [3.24%] - View) Percentage of vote: 3.24%
  5. 2.0TDI 140 4x4 (65 votes [19.17%] - View) Percentage of vote: 19.17%
  6. 2.0TDI 170 4x4 (52 votes [15.34%] - View) Percentage of vote: 15.34%
  7. 1.2TSI DSG 7 Speed (from Feb 2010) (38 votes [11.21%] - View) Percentage of vote: 11.21%
  8. 140TDI 140 4x4 DSG 6 Speed (from June 2010) (17 votes [5.01%] - View) Percentage of vote: 5.01%
  9. 1.4TSI (from July 2010) (9 votes [2.65%] - View) Percentage of vote: 2.65%
  10. 1.6TDI GreenLine II (from Nov 2010) (1 votes [0.29%] - View) Percentage of vote: 0.29%

I have the 4 x 4 but I understand why people want the 2WD Yeti. It is the high driving position. Older people in particular like it as you step into the car, not down and so it is easier on troublesome backs both for getting in and getting out. A slightly higher seating position also tends to give you excellent visibility.

Happy with my 2wd Yeti, Tow a caravan and have chatted with many fellow caravanners who wish to see a Yeti in the metal, people have said the fact that the Yeti is 4 wd must be good for towing, I will confess I tend not to say mine is the paupers version with 2wd drive, and then get into discussions about the 4wd drive system, This new caravanning season I will stop doing this and confess to being a lowly owner of a 2wd, and in fact more people prefer 2wd and what a great car the the 2wd version is , still would like 4wd though !!!!!

Lots of sensible explanations given here for buying patterns. I would add that, living here in the Yorkshire Dales since 1986, we had gradually seen (since the mid 90s) less and less of the icy, snowy weather that might make a 4x4 seem attractive, but more and more flooding which makes a vehicle with high ground clearance an absolute must. Then add in what the last two winters have thrown at us, and a 4x4 with ground clearance such as that of the Yeti becomes the obvious car of choice! A few years back I had a Golf 4Motion, which was far too close to the ground for me to tackle the flooded roads we often encounter.

We wanted the 4x4, but we weren't prepared to wait 20 weeks when they had a 2WD in stock, so we bought the stock one.

We'd prefer a 4x4 and will probably order one when we come to replace this one in about a year's time.

Edited by Jock

We wanted the 4x4, but we weren't prepared to wait 20 weeks when they had a 2WD in stock, so we bought the stock one.

We'd prefer a 4x4 and will probably order one when we come to replace this one in about a year's time.

If the gradual put back on delivery dates keeps accumulating and you want a replacement next year, you best order it now!!!!!!!! (Only Joking)

Like many others here, I was looking specifically for a 4x4 when the Yeti raised it's shaggy head. But I can understand how many of the benefits are equally applicable across the model range. If the poll was accurate, I am surprised the DSG 4x4 140 is such a low %tage - perhaps just because I have one though!

If you include the manual & DSG versions, the 1.2 TSi accounts for one third of Yetis on this forum.

1. 1.2TSI (77 votes [22.71%] - View) Percentage of vote: 22.71%
  2. 1.8TSI 4x4 (27 votes [7.96%] - View) Percentage of vote: 7.96%
  3. 2.0TDI 110 (42 votes [12.39%] - View) Percentage of vote: 12.39%
  4. 2.0TDI 110 4x4 (11 votes [3.24%] - View) Percentage of vote: 3.24%
  5. 2.0TDI 140 4x4 (65 votes [19.17%] - View) Percentage of vote: 19.17%
  6. 2.0TDI 170 4x4 (52 votes [15.34%] - View) Percentage of vote: 15.34%
  7. 1.2TSI DSG 7 Speed (from Feb 2010) (38 votes [11.21%] - View) Percentage of vote: 11.21%
  8. 140TDI 140 4x4 DSG 6 Speed (from June 2010) (17 votes [5.01%] - View) Percentage of vote: 5.01%
  9. 1.4TSI (from July 2010) (9 votes [2.65%] - View) Percentage of vote: 2.65%
  10. 1.6TDI GreenLine II (from Nov 2010) (1 votes [0.29%] - View) Percentage of vote: 0.29%

Adding the 4x4 percentages up in this list of ours above and the 4x4s account for 50,72% of SMOC Yetis...

I bought the 4x4 because I was fed up with the driving characteristics of FWD. With my Polo I could just sit there and spin the front wheels and get no forward motion...The Octavia was a little better because it had ASR, but even that has its downsides when the wheels spin, or rather try to. I like to put my foot down and go....not get chatter & no power or just wheelspin...

I also want to use mine off road as well.

Im not surprised about the 'lack' of diesel DSG's. They haven't been around for very long - delivery's since about june/july and lots of people like playing with the gear stick....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif and chose a manual because it all they know - my father won't go near an automatic...There are so few demonstrators of the diesel DSG as well. Many people won't buy without trying first. I knew what they were like so didn't bother me. I know you could drive another DSG equipped car, but for some people that isn't enough.

I'm surprised there are so 'many' diesel DSG's on the forum, didn't realise there were so many, or does the above figures include those who have ordered/waiting to order? and not just those who have their wonderful SM's on their driveway?

Mike

Like many others here, I was looking specifically for a 4x4 when the Yeti raised it's shaggy head. But I can understand how many of the benefits are equally applicable across the model range. If the poll was accurate, I am surprised the DSG 4x4 140 is such a low %tage - perhaps just because I have one though!

Objectively the CR140 DSG has only been available for 7 months so has a bit of catching up to do on other models.

I bought the 4x4 because I was fed up with the driving characteristics of FWD. With my Polo I could just sit there and spin the front wheels and get no forward motion...The Octavia was a little better because it had ASR, but even that has its downsides when the wheels spin, or rather try to. I like to put my foot down and go....not get chatter & no power or just wheelspin...

I also want to use mine off road as well.

Im not surprised about the 'lack' of diesel DSG's. They haven't been around for very long - delivery's since about june/july and lots of people like playing with the gear stick....emoticon-0140-rofl.gif and chose a manual because it all they know - my father won't go near an automatic...There are so few demonstrators of the diesel DSG as well. Many people won't buy without trying first. I knew what they were like so didn't bother me. I know you could drive another DSG equipped car, but for some people that isn't enough.

I'm surprised there are so 'many' diesel DSG's on the forum, didn't realise there were so many, or does the above figures include those who have ordered/waiting to order? and not just those who have their wonderful SM's on their driveway?

Mike

I test drove a 140 manual. There were no DSG 140 diesels when I ordered in April last year. Only rumours that one "might" be available later. Well due to the long delay in my order it did in fact become available and I changed my order without having ever driven any car with a DSG, let alone the car I'm buying. I read a lot of car magazines and knew how good it was so had no problems about doing this. And I still don't regret it.

As to 4x4. I go outdoors a lot in the summer, not to do off-roading par se, but felt I will find 4x4 useful. AND you can't get the 140 engine without it and everything else is too slow for me! emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

As to who owns the 140 DSGs Mike. Just click on "View" next to the relevant engine in this thread:

ColinEdinburgh user_popup.png, Macdemon user_popup.png, xocognac user_popup.png, bahnstormer vrs user_popup.png, warrenpfo user_popup.png, cchiopris user_popup.png, yellowyeller user_popup.png, 900000 user_popup.png, Alper user_popup.png, aidy.t user_popup.png, wicca user_popup.png, tubalcain user_popup.png, Brimstone user_popup.png, roguebrit user_popup.png, rockhopper user_popup.png, dave perry user_popup.png, Crawfsyeti user_popup.png

The above percentages need to be "weighted" to bring into play the date the individual models were introduced.

The 140bhp models have been on sale the longest. When I was first looking in October 2009 140bhp Yetis were the only test drives I could find.

tom

I can see the logic of 2wd and 4wd for different people.

For me, I spent about 5 weeks in winter 09/10 having to park my car on a main road each day, about three quarters of a mile from my house, and walk (climb ... approx 800 foot vertical up a Pennine hillside) the farm track that leads home, because my old car (Volvo V50) couldn't handle the snow. That's a long way and a big climb lugging dogfood, bottles of wine and the like in a rucksack!

I began thinking about 4wd and over the summer I looked at a variety of cars, deciding eventually I wanted the VW group 2.0 diesel engine (which I'd had in a previous Audi A4 and VW Passat) and so narrowed down to the VW Tiguan, Octavia Scout, and the Yeti, leaning towards the Yeti for a host of reasons (why would anybody buy a Tiguan given the price difference to spec it to Yeti Elegance levels?).

First, unexpected, snowfall of winter and I was stuck again. My mind was made up, I went Yeti hunting. Discovered the waiting list for a new one, so opted for a CR 170 TDI Elegance 4x4 with 7k on the clock, that had been the run around for the dealership manager.

Absolutely perfect. With standard wheels and OE tyres it climbs the steep, twisty, unmade farm track (dirt road with lots of lumps and bumps) including the hairpin bend - no worries. It does the 20 mile commute to and from work comfortably (mix of country roads then city driving) It's doing in excess of 45mpg overall, and has given a surprise or two to boy racers at the traffic lights. There's room in the back for my dog, and I've also checked that my skis will fit inside, so soon its going to the Alps loaded up with ski gear for a couple of weeks.

It is just a very good all round car that will do everything pretty well. There are better pure off road cars, there are bigger estates, there are faster hatchbacks, but overall ...

... which is actually what that idiot Clarkson was saying once you got past the usual TG silliness.

I can see the logic of 2wd and 4wd for different people.

It is just a very good all round car that will do everything pretty well. There are better pure off road cars, there are bigger estates, there are faster hatchbacks, but overall ...

... which is actually what that idiot Clarkson was saying once you got past the usual TG silliness.

Well said that man....emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Mike

Depends upon what you want to use the car for, or more importantly, what you think you'll use the car for.

FWD uses less fuel, is lighter to drive and, if Skoda gave the option, would perform better model-for-model under most circumstances. The benefit of 4wd is traction in poor conditions or use off road - of course the former can be overcome with winter tyres (cheaper than buying 4wd), the latter is generally an issue of ground clearance unless really going off-road or towing on poor surfaces.

My only experience of Haldex have been fairly poor but I know there are different versions - motivating an A3 to push power to the rear on a rapid take-off led to the engine bogging as power shunted between the axles; I found it uncouth to say the least.

This winter wasn't too bad in this part of the world, but last winter was pretty awful - FWD with thin-ish tyres and traction control off was all it took! I wouldn't refuse a 4wd Yeti, but will be looking at FWD which makes more sense 95% of the time and can be made to work the other 5% with a set of winter tyres.

You can see why Skoda is widening the choice of 2wd Yeti's - these sales figures are based on 66% of the Yeti range being 4wd.

It'll be interesting to see how the sales split once the 1.4TSI and Greenline models have been on sale for a full year.

Edited by HKPhooey

Well said that man....emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Mike

as he said :thumbup:

that's exactly why i bought one.

when it comes to replace it in 2 1/2 years i'll be looking for another one

Depends upon what you want to use the car for, or more importantly, what you think you'll use the car for.

FWD uses less fuel, is lighter to drive and, if Skoda gave the option, would perform better model-for-model under most circumstances. The benefit of 4wd is traction in poor conditions or use off road - of course the former can be overcome with winter tyres (cheaper than buying 4wd), the latter is generally an issue of ground clearance unless really going off-road or towing on poor surfaces.

My only experience of Haldex have been fairly poor but I know there are different versions - motivating an A3 to push power to the rear on a rapid take-off led to the engine bogging as power shunted between the axles; I found it uncouth to say the least.

This winter wasn't too bad in this part of the world, but last winter was pretty awful - FWD with thin-ish tyres and traction control off was all it took! I wouldn't refuse a 4wd Yeti, but will be looking at FWD which makes more sense 95% of the time and can be made to work the other 5% with a set of winter tyres.

A few things to disagree with here.

Where do you get the impression that the 4 wheel drive will not be as light to drive as the 2wd? I find my 4wd lighter than the 2wd Octavia it replaced and also my wife's 2wd Roomster Scout. The 4wd Yeti is a dream to drive.

You are not far away in Cambridgeshire and I commute daily to the Essex/ Cambridgeshire border. This winter has been much worse than last and I was mighty pleased to have a 4wd Yeti on winter tyres to do the 60 mile round trip.

My Yeti experience of Haldex has been very positive and in summer I find the 'Quattro' factor to make the car very pleasant to drive on twisty country roads. There is a price to pay for the 4wd but I am much happier year round to be driving something that feels so secure and remains very economical to run.

In my strictly personal opinion, I cannot see the point in buying something that looks like a 4wd but that's actually a 2wd. So much so that I found this weeks test of the new 2wd LR Freelander quite a laugh. If you compare the circuit times (wet or dry) the 4wd Yeti runs rings around a more powerful and much more expensive 2wd Landrover.

I'm sure that the 2wd Yeti is still a brilliant car and I like the sound of the 'small' 1.2 and 1.4 petrols but I am sure I made the right choice with my 4wd. If I wanted a smaller 2wd, I'd buy the Roomster and save a few pounds.

Where do you get the impression that the 4 wheel drive will not be as light to drive as the 2wd? I find my 4wd lighter than the 2wd Octavia it replaced and also my wife's 2wd Roomster Scout. The 4wd Yeti is a dream to drive.

The Yeti 4x4 is 115 KG heavier than the 2WD Yeti - this is why the other contributer believes the 2WD to be a lighter drive.

115KG is a lot of weight - that's like two thin adults in the car with you all the time - which you have accelerate, decelerate and corner with....

So, the Yeti 2WD ought to be more nimble and fuel efficient....

Having said all that, I'll be in the 4x4 Yeti when the time comes - not because it should be four wheel drive as a crossover looks, but because I agree with you that the driving experience is better for having all four wheels driven and I like the extra safety and traction.

So I imagine Skoda are somewhat surprised by the popularity of the 4x4 versions....

I just wish they would provide the sunroof so I can get on and order mine. Oh, and whilst we're talking about four wheeel drive, Skoda please provide a dashboard rotary controller for the Haldex modes: economical, automatic and permanent 4WD...!