Getting a good deal.

kprida77

I've pretty much settled on a 1.2 elegance for the girlfriend and a 1.8 elegance for me. Buying both at the same time.

I've tried a couple of local dealers but the amount they have been willing to knock off is 1200 or 1650 (600/825 per car). Which to me seems rather poor and is 2000 off of the drive the deal price. Now I've a 59 plate vrs to part ex so I'm guessing DtD is off the cards. What sort of deals have people managed to get? (PM if you dont want to show in public). Am sure I should be able to do better than that, especially as buying two cars at once.

It would depend upon where about you are in UK.

From personal experience I would suggest a call to Andy Shorland, Sales Manager at Sinclair Skoda in Swansea, and whilst it was about a year ago we did our deal (and I am sure that available discounts have shrunk because of the beast's popularity) he is very much of the mind that he'd rather make 5% of something than 100% of nothing. Interestingly their actual sales achieved are way in excess of their budgetted targets, so that must mean something good!! I found that our deal was reached very quickly with the minimum of smart-arsing about and pretending. he went straight to his first price and when I asked him to sharpen his pencil, he almost immediately delivered the price (almost) that I was looking for. He was very competitive indeed with about six on-line quotes I had had. I was very pleasantly surprised to be able to make the deal then and there.

And in order to be balanced here, from reading these postings on this forum, you'd be well advised to give James Rothwell a call. He's somewhere near London, and is a tremendous supporter and contributor to Briskoda, and particularly the Yeti forum. And of course others will have their ideas too!!

I think the market has 'hardened ' a little - given the popuarity and short supply?

Use the online quotes as a guide, but a PX makes negotiations more complex - especially if we're talking about several months hence?

Quality of service has a value too - and dealers 'goodwill' shouldn't be overlooked either!

My saving was £2.5k+ but I did have to wait 5 months; others have waited much longer!

I used this website - www.skodastore.com

They put you in contact with the Skoda main dealer who has offered the best price and then after that it's just like buying a car normally (including the part ex) - they substanially beat all three of my local dealers on price. I popped up to see the dealer and talk finance, but you can do it all online and they deliver.

I haven't had any of spam off them either. B)

I hadn't seen skoda store before, I've punted off a couple of quote requests so I look forward to what they come up with.

I've tried contacting James at Allams, via email, left a phone message, sent a PM and replied to a message he put regarding Yeti quotes. Alas I've had no reply, not even an acknowledgement. So I'm not best impressed with the service. Especially as I'm looking at purchasing two at once.

I hadn't seen skoda store before, I've punted off a couple of quote requests so I look forward to what they come up with.

I've tried contacting James at Allams, via email, left a phone message, sent a PM and replied to a message he put regarding Yeti quotes. Alas I've had no reply, not even an acknowledgement. So I'm not best impressed with the service. Especially as I'm looking at purchasing two at once.

But, I say old chap, he might be off on his hols, what! Be charitable! There's usually a good reason for a delay (especially with getting a new Yeti)!!!

When I rang they said he was busy and could they take a message, so I left one. I also left a PM on here and I see Allams have logged on this morning. I don't need quotes immediatly, however an acknowledgement wouldn't go amiss (espcially as I've been trying over the past week). I've called again and got voicemail so left a message. Here's hoping.

When I rang they said he was busy and could they take a message, so I left one. I also left a PM on here and I see Allams have logged on this morning. I don't need quotes immediatly, however an acknowledgement wouldn't go amiss (espcially as I've been trying over the past week). I've called again and got voicemail so left a message. Here's hoping.

Yep, and I will hope with you. It's always the same, when we want something really badly and things get in the way, it gets sooooo frustrating. You have my sympathies!

Slight word of caution though, sort of "real world".....I recall that I like you had two cars to order, and one to p/x, and it didn't make much difference at all to what the garage could offer. In fact, when I was buying five cars at one point, for the business, with no part-exes, I spent weeks haggling only to improve the deal microscopically. I knew them well, the chaps I dealt with, because they were clients of mine, and I ended up party to their figures!

Hope for the best, but ... ... ... ...

I've pretty much settled on a 1.2 elegance for the girlfriend and a 1.8 elegance for me. Buying both at the same time.

I've tried a couple of local dealers but the amount they have been willing to knock off is 1200 or 1650 (600/825 per car). Which to me seems rather poor and is 2000 off of the drive the deal price. Now I've a 59 plate vrs to part ex so I'm guessing DtD is off the cards. What sort of deals have people managed to get? (PM if you dont want to show in public). Am sure I should be able to do better than that, especially as buying two cars at once.

I ordered my 170 4x4 Elegance from Darren at Carquake in November 2010. I paid £18855.29 this included the following options:- 17" Annapurna Alloys, Floor Mats, Spare Wheel, Tyre Pressure Monitor and also free delivery to my home address, they have also stated that they will not pass on the VAT increase even though delivery will be after January 2011. The OTR price including the options as per the November 2010 brochure was £22,915.

I ordered my 170 4x4 Elegance from Darren at Carquake in November 2010. I paid £18855.29 this included the following options:- 17" Annapurna Alloys, Floor Mats, Spare Wheel, Tyre Pressure Monitor and also free delivery to my home address, they have also stated that they will not pass on the VAT increase even though delivery will be after January 2011. The OTR price including the options as per the November 2010 brochure was £22,915.

Over £4000 discount? Are you sure, 17.5%? There must have been a catch, those going through DTD and getting £2500ish discount were getting their cars either at or slightly below cost. I cannot see any way any dealer could possibly support that level of discount. The VAT hold is SUK, nothing to do with the dealer holding the price although no doubt they were happy to take the credit.

You must have had an angel looking over your shoulder!

Edited by GazzaC

Give James at Allams a try. Several of us on here have bought from him. Highly recommended. He has been doing some good deals recently. He is one of the site sponsors, and a regular contributor.

email [email protected]

Mike

Give James at Allams a try. Several of us on here have bought from him. Highly recommended. He has been doing some good deals recently. He is one of the site sponsors, and a regular contributor.

email [email protected]

Mike

See above. I've tried getting hold of him most the week but no reply. Still trying. Got several calls out now to various dealers via various routes so hoping one of them will come up with a suitable deal.

See above. I've tried getting hold of him most the week but no reply. Still trying. Got several calls out now to various dealers via various routes so hoping one of them will come up with a suitable deal.

He has been very busy since TG. When I saw him this week that was about all I could do, he was on the phone to people all the time, and one of his colleagues has been on holiday. I didn't manage to get hold of him this week by phone either.

Persevere. It will be worth it.

Don't PM him. only email him.

Mike

He has been very busy since TG. When I saw him this week that was about all I could do, he was on the phone to people all the time, and one of his colleagues has been on holiday. I didn't manage to get hold of him this week by phone either.

Mike

You're right to suggest persevering, of course, but it is frustrating especially if you know the person you want to speak to isn't on his hols and is in the office. How long does it take to just send a quick acknowledgement or get someone in the office to say that he's busy but he will get back to you and he knows you're waiting? Just a call to let you know you're not being ignored is all the OP is asking for, I think. He is, after all, gonna spend £20k - he's not looking to buy a box of lollies!

Mike

PERSEVERE! - If I found out that one of my sales staff had not even bothered to at least acknowledge a sales enquiry they would have a lot of explaining to do!

You see, the theory is, the Salesman does the chasing, not the customer. I consider that if they cannot be bothered to contact you for a sale what are they going to be like when you have ordered and something goes wrong.

I tried 2 local Skoda dealers to quote for a 170 4x4 Elegance way back in November - I AM STILL WAITING FOR A REPLY!!

I subsequently ordered online.

Over £4000 discount? Are you sure, 17.5%? There must have been a catch, those going through DTD and getting £2500ish discount were getting their cars either at or slightly below cost. I cannot see any way any dealer could possibly support that level of discount. The VAT hold is SUK, nothing to do with the dealer holding the price although no doubt they were happy to take the credit.

I am absolutely sure, if you ask really nice, I might even show you my invoice. But, being an eternal pessimist, I wait in trepidation for delivery day, which they have informed me will be 18th April (ish)

I must confess however, that I thought at the time it was a mistake, I rang them back but they assured me that was in fact the correct price, anyway, we shall see!

Edited by stanjackos

Carquake do do massive discounts, but the buyer is not the first owner, they have to hold onto the V5 for 6 months I understand, so basically they are buying a secondhand car, albeit with maybe delivery mileage on it. I was offered a £23,000 DSG 4x4 Elegance for £19,000 approx. I decided not to go that route.

Mike

Edited by rockhopper

You're right to suggest persevering, of course, but it is frustrating especially if you know the person you want to speak to isn't on his hols and is in the office. How long does it take to just send a quick acknowledgement or get someone in the office to say that he's busy but he will get back to you and he knows you're waiting? Just a call to let you know you're not being ignored is all the OP is asking for, I think. He is, after all, gonna spend £20k - he's not looking to buy a box of lollies!

I also enquired with James at Allams some months back and got no response. I did find David Scott at Progress Skoda in Letchworh very good however. Keen to do the business but not too pushy which I think is a pretty hard balance. Did not buy a skoda in the end due to the uncomfy seats.

Did not buy a skoda in the end due to the uncomfy seats.

Uncomfortable seats?

Soon after I bought Elsie I drove up to Scotland in 10 hours door to door. about 8 hours of driving. The seats are the best I have ever sat in, in a car, having used Volvos, Saabs, BMW's, Rovers, Range Rovers, Vauxhalls, Fords and VW's and Octavia's to name a few.

The I did the same again coming home. No problems, no back problems.

In my previous Octavia the seats killed my back after 2 hours of driving.

The SM's seats are great. Only stopped as I needed a loo break!

Mike

Uncomfortable seats?

Soon after I bought Elsie I drove up to Scotland in 10 hours door to door. about 8 hours of driving. The seats are the best I have ever sat in, in a car, having used Volvos, Saabs, BMW's, Rovers, Range Rovers, Vauxhalls, Fords and VW's and Octavia's to name a few.

The I did the same again coming home. No problems, no back problems.

In my previous Octavia the seats killed my back after 2 hours of driving.

The SM's seats are great. Only stopped as I needed a loo break!

Mike

Was the opposite with me. Mk1 Octavia no problem. I really wanted an Octavia Scout. A couple of dealers were really obliging with long unacompanied test drives and I borrowed my Dad's Octavia Elegance for the day still got lower back pain. The main reason I bought V50 was the comfy seats.

There was a long thread some months back about seats and back pain. Backs are very individual parts of individuals: there is no such thing as a 'comfortable seat' without exceptions.

Now I've a 59 plate vrs to part ex so I'm guessing DtD is off the cards.

Why? DtD just puts you into contact with a real Å koda dealer. Thus the purchase price is agreed. Said dealer pays DtD commission and that is the end of the arrangement with DtD. How you pay for the car is between you and this dealer. Should you wish to part pay with a trade-in - and especially a tasty vRS they might want - there will be no issues. I bought my Yeti via DtD and when the private sale of my Audi looked as if it was not going to happen the DtD dealer were willing to entertain a part-ex. Thankfully I managed a private sale in the end.

Carquake do do massive discounts, but the buyer is not the first owner, they have to hold onto the V5 for 6 months I understand, so basically they are buying a secondhand car, albeit with maybe delivery mileage on it. I was offered a £23,000 DSG 4x4 Elegance for £19,000 approx. I decided not to go that route.

Mike

I would like to get things into perspective, I tried a dealer in the Midlands who told me he had a pre-registered Yeti Elegance 170 4x4 in Blue with "Gobi" leather. He wanted £22000, it had done 3500 miles and when we turned up for the test drive it was so dirty that it was difficult to see what shade of Blue it actually was. At the time there were also a number of used Yeti`s available on the internet at the same sort of price range. I can only assume that the surprisingly lengthy delivery times were adding a premium to the asking prices of used models, that is probably why Carquake seemed more than happy to refund my deposit when I enquired about the delivery schedule last week (obviusly no shortage of customers available to fill my slot). Decision time had arrived, it was late October and I needed to make a move, do I buy the much used and abused demonstator for £22,000 which would have been available more or less immediately or go for a brand new factory fresh Yeti delivered to my door for £18855 together with a 5-6 months wait. I choose the latter and ordered on the 5th November 2010..

I was not particularly concerned about the V5 retention because it is the Sales Invoice and receipt and not the V5 that provides proof of ownership. It is also worth remembering that if you purchase via a PCP or HP agreement it is the finance company that actually own the vehicle untill the loan is repaid and the Option to Purchase fee is paid.

Just had an e-mail saying James is on holiday. (Must be spending all his commission from his Briskoda contacts!) B)