Custom Induction kit... on!

macevrs

so to the standard airbox, where would you fit the 3" intake pipe to? Assuming you would run it down to the n/s front grille.

Would it be instead of the standard intake running from the wing?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I have learned. Thanks to useful contributors.

As with all filters, fitting an open cone in the engine bay will possibly lead to higher air intake temps, and thus poorer ignition (cold air denser than hot air), so a closed box \ heat shield is needed and preferably a cold air intake to it also.

This is also a good read Filter review

Anything getting through to the MAF or Turbo (small dirt particles OR oil used on some aftermarket filters) is a very bad and potentially very expensive.

Mine is standard set up again. for now. much research needed! Although i quite fancy the eBay £40 intake with an APEXi filter on the end..... :wonder:

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:

Although I still think you would be better off with a .................no I won't :p

better off with a what? please!!!! although judging by your opinion on CAI's I'm guessing 3" cold feed to the standard box, perhaps an uprated panel filter?

Sounds like a plan :thumbup:

Although I still think you would be better off with a .................no I won't :p

Ha Ha stop it....

Apexi filters fixed to a CAI pipe are meant to be the best option for after market induction kit. I was going to get one when mine K&N on my ABD gets worn out. The only issue is trying to get one that does not need a adapter to fit it to the pipe.

better off with a what? please!!!! although judging by your opinion on CAI's I'm guessing 3" cold feed to the standard box, perhaps an uprated panel filter?

What ever route you are going to take is not going to give much in terms no real power increase that will mean more BHP. You could go other routes if you are chasing that. But as the thread is about Custom Induction Kits the ebay one is a good choice but using a better filter like K&N or Apexi. Lots of folks on this site use that set up.

I am biased as i like the ABD one and bought it at half price :thumbup:

This is all personal choice, nothing ventured , nothing gained. :yes:

If you go with adding a 3" pipe to your airbox here are a few pics. And yes you would be replacing the plastic ducting that goes into the wing as you would be routing the pipe directly into the airbox and sealing it.

VRSAirFilterandthrottlebodyclean072.jpg

VRSAirFilterandthrottlebodyclean041-1.jpg

VRSAirFilterandthrottlebodyclean051.jpg

VRSAirFilterandthrottlebodyclean047-1.jpg

Edited by Bowders1

Guest westallc

little tip apexi and hks filters have a very bad filtration rate and are not good on maf'ed cars

thus most jap cars running them are mafless :thumbup:

little tip apexi and hks filters have a very bad filtration rate and are not good on maf'ed cars

thus most jap cars running them are mafless :thumbup:

No not entirely true all scoobs 240 sx 350z and so on all have mafs they just run the one from a 350z as the air flow rate is much higher....and the cars are mapped for them!!!!I ran a 350z one on my scoob I never had a problem you still need a cold air feed and they still suffer from heat soak if you don't.

Edited by mountie66

Guest westallc

i have a z4 maf for mine but if you are to listen to what the guys say i.e lateral performance rodger clark etc etc then you would see they say that apexi hks etc etc filters will damage mafs

most high powerd scooby's are mafless standalone management i.e syvecs simtec apexi etc etc run mafless

as i understandand the standard maf is good for up to 350ish and at that opoint you need the z4??? but large 500 + they run mafless ??? didnt you have 500+ what setup was you running??

what is said they are good for airflow but there filtration spec is terrible

you got that gearbox yet???

Edited by westallc

No box yet will be soon I had a 350 z one on mine running 550bhp had no probs what so ever mine just kept blowing oil seals on the cams...I used to run time attack with Ollie clarke....with his 900 bhp scoob that car was awsome....

ive got a skoda fabia 1.4 8v silverline.... i am a teenager and i do love my skoda... however i also like loud noises coming from my engine bay.

so i would like to put an induction kit on and remove the original. one thing i don't know what size i need... am looking at k n n and pipercross currently, have already had a go on a pipercross and was very impressed, however it didnt fit the tube/nozzle...

bear with me am very new and looking at trying to learn as much as possible. any help would be much appreciated.

Guest westallc

find out from your insurance company first as it may send it sky high with mods on it

and you wont see any gain just a hole heap noise lol

abd are an american tuning company and not cheap !!!

http://www.abdracing.com/1004/erickson.html

This is much cheaper than k&n typhoon kits at £260 ish.

Worrying though that the filter is so low and directly behind the grill, looks like it would suck up water from the road. The ABD site does state "for use in good weather"

So swap it back to standard everytime it rains???????

find out from your insurance company first as it may send it sky high with mods on it

and you wont see any gain just a hole heap noise lol

Your assuming that he intends to inform his insurance company... Lol

With regards to heat soak... What effect would you feel and how long would it take to have a depremental effect.

If the drilled airbox brings in hot air, wont the 3" feed cool it down as the the two temprature fronts meet inside the box?

Guest westallc

Worrying though that the filter is so low and directly behind the grill, looks like it would suck up water from the road. The ABD site does state "for use in good weather"

i had mine on with an extended pipe and a much much larger filter on filling the whole space in the bumper and i drove it in wet weather and dry with no problems

unless you decide you want to drive through a river you should be fine lol

remeber the price doesnt include shipping wich isnt cheap

hth

No they do not suck up water at all the grill in the front only has a couple of holes in it it sits more in the front well beside the grille water not a issue unless you drive through floods or deep snow...

so what sizes will i be looking at?

You might have better luck posting this question in the fabia section. Most universal filters come with a few different size adapter rings to suit, then add a cold air flex pipe.

"the grill in the front only has a couple of holes in it it sits more in the front"

In a standard grill yes, just thinking about heavy rain coming through when driving at speed and hitting the paper filter. Esp. With aftermarket grills.

Edited by macevrs

very useful pics Bowders! not sure id have the talent to fit the cold air kit looking at them, might just opt for a panel filter in the std airbox!! lol

Cheers. The job is not bad at all i did a DIY guide in tech section :thumbup:

No they do not suck up water at all the grill in the front only has a couple of holes in it it sits more in the front well beside the grille water not a issue unless you drive through floods or deep snow...

+1

"the grill in the front only has a couple of holes in it it sits more in the front"

In a standard grill yes, just thinking about heavy rain coming through when driving at speed and hitting the paper filter. Esp. With aftermarket grills.

Even with a mesh grill with more holes i have driven through rain soaked roads ok. The filter sits a litte up from the open grill enough to allow air through but not water directly hitting it. As the bumper rear section is enclosed by the inner arch liner, lower plastic panel to bumper arch liner the filter is in a nice place to get air into it and suck the air upwards.