my fuel economy on my work commute..

well, there has been a few fuel economy thread, with the discussions of if you can match the manufacturers figures....

well this is my normal commute, 9 miles from work to home (so no racing around) a bit of town, stopped at a set of temp traffic lights on the main a-road back home.... and I'm only on 900 miles, so not really run in yet..

post-5410-0-55706200-1297777616_thumb.jpg

it did get up to 48mpg average before the big hill to my house! lol...

not bad though I think :)

Why on earth are there such a vast difference between figures that people quote, i have noticed a gradual increase in mpg from average of low 30s to mid 30s over the first 3000 miles thats with mixed town, dual carriageway driving. even on a 60 mile motorway run i still only managed high 30s.

because everyone drives different. some know how to drive, others havent got a clue, or might rag the t!ts off the car.

From what i gather the maxidot display is not that accurate. So id be keen to kow more how many miles to a full tank people get.

Why on earth are there such a vast difference between figures that people quote, i have noticed a gradual increase in mpg from average of low 30s to mid 30s over the first 3000 miles thats with mixed town, dual carriageway driving. even on a 60 mile motorway run i still only managed high 30s.

Janner has it spot on.

How fast were you going on the motorway run? At 70mph mid 40's should be possible, higher than that and it will fall off a cliff, since the Fabia has the aero efficiency of a garden shed. So if you cruise at 85mph on motorways, you aren't ever going to see 45mpg.

When I test drove one, the mpg was climbing steadily, but of course I had to give it some brisk driving and finished off stuck in town traffic for 15mins at the end, it still showed 38mpg average.

The trip computer is fairly accurate though, perhaps 1 or 2% over. The longer the trip, the more accurate it will be.

the main key is simply reading the road a long way ahead, its as simple as using your brakes ruins your fuel economy..

for example, when I was approaching the temp traffic lights, I backed off way earlier than most people would, only eneded up braking in the last 2 cars lengths or so (and I was doing 60 mph before) if you are off the throttle and engine braking, the computer cuts the fuel supply.... (left in drive, it slows down nicely, so you are not annoying people behind, manually changing down tends to make it slow to aggressively)

also , with the motorway driving, (as someone else said) how fast do people drive? there is something like 30-40% more fuel used when driving at 85mph compaired to 70 mph...

don't get me wrong, I like to drive fast, but on my commute too and from work, I want fuel economy, a small engine like this should be able to deliver...

highest I've had it was 50 mpg, when really trying hard for fuel economy....

roll on the miles..... 900 now, and still not a drop of oil needed ;)

For a start, one of the posters is driving a 1.9 diesel.

Around town you will get low 30's mpg and on a long run 40+ if you are careful.

This is 1.4 TSi vRS.

Tony

I commute one (yes 1) slow hilly mile to work. Sometimes driving this mile takes well over the 20 minutes it would take to walk. Sometimes I walk or cycle! My Mk2 VRS does between 12 and 35mpg on this run. The mk1 did between 18 and 45mpg on the same run.

MPG Urban/Tootling/Motorway/Ragging reads 35/50/40s/26 in the mk2 and 42/63/50s/40 in the mk1.

Diesels are always more economical, especially on short cold-engine journeys where petrols over-fuel. 2 million taxi drivers would agree if I had time to ask them all.

However I get 79.63 smiles per mile now which is much better.

Stop counting. Get driving. Start smiling.

I commute one (yes 1) slow hilly mile to work. Sometimes driving this mile takes well over the 20 minutes it would take to walk. Sometimes I walk or cycle! My Mk2 VRS does between 12 and 35mpg on this run. The mk1 did between 18 and 45mpg on the same run.

MPG Urban/Tootling/Motorway/Ragging reads 35/50/40s/26 in the mk2 and 42/63/50s/40 in the mk1.

Diesels are always more economical, especially on short cold-engine journeys where petrols over-fuel. 2 million taxi drivers would agree if I had time to ask them all.

However I get 79.63 smiles per mile now which is much better.

Stop counting. Get driving. Start smiling.

lol... good attitude :)

My wifes average is 29mpg!!!

My wife seems to get about that as well!! :o

She always complains I drive too fast & yet I always get about 4-5mpg more for the same journey! :giggle:

I have to say that I'm impressed with people getting in the 40's...I've only seen 40mpg once on a m'way run where I was hanging round 65-70mph. The general economy is improving slowly...it's now got nearly 1400 miles on the clock & the average since new has just made it to 33mpg on the OBC. I think I need to take it on a long run somewhere so that I can hold my head up on this forum! :)

I am averaging 33-35 mpg for a mixture of driving styles and always seem to achieve around 300 miles for a complete tank.

I have noticed too that the longer you are driving the better the economy, no matter how I drive, bearing in mind I am not a 'foot to the pedal' driver! The best I have achieved is 48mpg but I was in the car for around 2.5 hours and just used the drive mode, but I was confident I could have achieved higher than this.

If you want to give it some, don't use the drive as I'm definitely noticing it drinks more juice than if you use sports mode, maybe because the engine is having to work harder.

I drive around 8 miles to work and no way do I get anything like what you're achieving, in fact, when the engine is just warming up, the economy has stooped down as low as 12mpg then steadily increases to the late 20's/30'! So, to conclude the new 1.4 tsi engine does not like short start/stop driving!

Longer trips will always result in better mpg

When i set off from cold my mpg is never above 20 no matter how carefully i drive, however once warm if i reset even town driving can reach 35. So maybe these people quoting 45-50mpg are either on a long run or resetting once warm

I am averaging 33-35 mpg for a mixture of driving styles and always seem to achieve around 300 miles for a complete tank.

I have noticed too that the longer you are driving the better the economy, no matter how I drive, bearing in mind I am not a 'foot to the pedal' driver! The best I have achieved is 48mpg but I was in the car for around 2.5 hours and just used the drive mode, but I was confident I could have achieved higher than this.

If you want to give it some, don't use the drive as I'm definitely noticing it drinks more juice than if you use sports mode, maybe because the engine is having to work harder.

I drive around 8 miles to work and no way do I get anything like what you're achieving, in fact, when the engine is just warming up, the economy has stooped down as low as 12mpg then steadily increases to the late 20's/30'! So, to conclude the new 1.4 tsi engine does not like short start/stop driving!

warm the engine up, don't be afraid to use full throttle on acceleraction , a petrol engine is "most effiecient" on full throttle,(I tend to warrm it up 1 min from my house on the first dual carrigeway, crap fuel economy, (25 ish) but then don't brake, but look ahead, and back off early...... it works! trust me ;) don't let it stay cold by being careful!

gl :)

Yes the twin charge realy seams to hate the cold something chronic I was struggling to break 20 mpg yesterday morning not to mention it sounding realy lethargic at tick over though it was showing -3C but the way home at 5C was much better nearly 30ish and sounding much more normal.

warm the engine up, don't be afraid to use full throttle on acceleraction , a petrol engine is "most effiecient" on full throttle,(I tend to warrm it up 1 min from my house on the first dual carrigeway, crap fuel economy, (25 ish) but then don't brake, but look ahead, and back off early...... it works! trust me ;) don't let it stay cold by being careful!

gl :)

Cheers for that, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on. B)

Good stuff. I'd do that trip a few times and throw in a few of your usual routes, then re-brim the tank. Should be able to get an accurate idea of how the Maxidot figure is then.

Doing that calc you've then got the info needed to make a fuzzy logic change with VCDS. So next time you're down this neck of the woods.... :)

• 2 weeks later...