DSG Software Up-date

I find the reversing bit worse nowadays (although I still have the occasional rear-clench moment as I join a roundabout with the speed of a snail with my foot on the floor). My reversing manouver involves going back a bit then slowing to check the coast is clear and when I put my foot back on the gas.....nowt.....nowt.....nowt......nowt...whooosh I'm off like a scalded cat. It feels worse as your head lurches forwarded and isn't stopped by the headrest. Hey ho, modern technology.

I'm still baffled, even my learners can reverse up hill round corners and parrelel park uphill, without issue...

I don't know if you are using the brake to disengage the clutch or what, but it should be as simple as (reversing uphill) or even easier if you are talking about a flat... select reverse with footbrake on, release handbrake, release footbrake to move (no gas) the clutch engages the car moves extreamly slowley, press brake if you need to slow or stop... no gas...

also at roundabouts, a simple press of the pedal provokes the car to move forward, no delay at all, the speed at which you move forward directly related to how hard you press the gas...

OR, maybe just my gearbox works and everyone elses is broken! :p

edit: although I can't spell paralell...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still baffled, even my learners can reverse up hill round corners and parrelel park uphill, without issue...

I don't know if you are using the brake to disengage the clutch or what, but it should be as simple as (reversing uphill) or even easier if you are talking about a flat... select reverse with footbrake on, release handbrake, release footbrake to move (no gas) the clutch engages the car moves extreamly slowley, press brake if you need to slow or stop... no gas...

also at roundabouts, a simple press of the pedal provokes the car to move forward, no delay at all, the speed at which you move forward directly related to how hard you press the gas...

After my gearbox was "relearned" I could parallel park up hill but it was potentially dangerous previously. The problem was exacerbated by 1.8 litres of turbo charge motor cutting in like a dragster! Your box must be one of the few 'good ones'

I reverse out and have to slow/stop to check for people on the other side of my hedge - the day I keep going will be the day someone is there. So the coast is clear and the car might be moving very slowly so drive is engaged so foot on the gas and I'd say 2-3 seconds of nothing then it moves. Same with R/A, you drive up and keep moving slowly to time your entrance into a gap, foot down and nowt. The car is still moving so either drive is still there or the clutches have just disengaged. Either way my old 1L Kia Picanto auto was quicker off the mark than the Fabia and that did 0-60 in over 16 seconds. My 2007 Octavia 2L TDI DSG was better than the Fabia for take-off too. Something is wrong and it isn't the driver.

Mine was terrible when i first got it, i could never pull away smoothly no matter how hard i tried, however at around 2000 miles it settled down, either that or i adjusted to it but now it pulls away smoothly every time, the only issue i find now is when in slow moving traffic it doesnt like disengaging the clutch till you are almost stopped resulting in it being a bit jerky, i cant gradually come to a stop.

i am slowly getting used to driving an auto coming from a manual, now one think if i need to stop for a second or two at rowndabouts and junctions do i need to put it into neutral each time or can i just leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake? When stopped at traffic light i do tend to put it into park and at junctions i tend to put it into neutral and keep my foot on the brake as i am scared to keep my foot on the brake when drive is engaged incase i do any damage to the box.

You don't need to put it into park while you are driving at all.

Leave it in drive.

Having driven auto's for the past 7 years there are a lot of misconceptions, and a few bad auto boxes in my opinion.

The rest is down to the way people are used to driving.

(SMG M3 x2 (single clutch), Audi A3 DSG, 2x Nissan 350z Auto (old style torque converter))

/David

I reverse out and have to slow/stop to check for people on the other side of my hedge - the day I keep going will be the day someone is there. So the coast is clear and the car might be moving very slowly so drive is engaged so foot on the gas and I'd say 2-3 seconds of nothing then it moves. Same with R/A, you drive up and keep moving slowly to time your entrance into a gap, foot down and nowt. The car is still moving so either drive is still there or the clutches have just disengaged. Either way my old 1L Kia Picanto auto was quicker off the mark than the Fabia and that did 0-60 in over 16 seconds. My 2007 Octavia 2L TDI DSG was better than the Fabia for take-off too. Something is wrong and it isn't the driver.

again mine doesn't do this. if you use the brake to stop and check, then release the brake when you want to move, the clutch engages immediatley and you carry on, on steep hills the hill holder may hold it a fraction longer after the brake is relased, but it will still then move as before, and it really is a fraction of a delay if the hill holder is operational! again, the delay moving off at roundabouts or junctions ect, never experianced it in 10300 miles!

conclusion is the must be something different in the gearboxes, whether its software or what , I don't know!

i am slowly getting used to driving an auto coming from a manual, now one think if i need to stop for a second or two at rowndabouts and junctions do i need to put it into neutral each time or can i just leave it in drive and keep my foot on the brake? When stopped at traffic light i do tend to put it into park and at junctions i tend to put it into neutral and keep my foot on the brake as i am scared to keep my foot on the brake when drive is engaged incase i do any damage to the box.

I have driven automatics for many years and never take the shifter out of drive from one end of the trip to the other.

I was advised that this will do no harm at all to the auto box.

I am expecting the same from my DSG Fabia,when I get it!

I have driven automatics for many years and never take the shifter out of drive from one end of the trip to the other.

I was advised that this will do no harm at all to the auto box.

I am expecting the same from my DSG Fabia,when I get it!

so leaving it in drive while on the brake will do no damage? is the car not fighting against itself then ie you are in drive its wanting to go forward but you are stopping it by being on the brake, so wont it damage the brakes or the clutch or does it disengage the clutch when stopped even if in drive and not neutral.

Yes it is fine to leave in D all the time, once you hold the foot brake at junctions. You can actually hear the clutch disengage once you stop.

Have you also noticed that when you come to a stop in "D" and apply the foot brake the revs drop by 500 RPM release the foot brake and after a second or so the revs rise before the car will move.

I think this is what is causing the delay/ hesertation, the DSG box is waiting for the revs to rise. If you plant your foot to early, instead of feeding the power in slowly your off like a rocket ship.

Only does it in "D" Mode

Another way is to hold it on the hand brake as the car keeps drive engaged.

Just noticed this post, been away for a while. Don't hold on the handbrake, I'm pretty sure you will burn the clutches out.

Can't find this in the manual, but I did this by accident when I first had the car and the sound of brake pads slipping on discs told me that this was not going to be good for the clutches.

Someone may have definitive info on this.

Regards

Tony :mmm:

if you apply the handbrake when stopped and take your foot off the brake - as I asdvised by the dealer - the car tries to drive off (the nose rises) for a few seconds then disengages the clutch for you (the car settles).

Very disconcerting the first few times it happened, but the salesman said it was OK :wonder:

Now I just hold on the foot brake or put it in to "N" and apply handbrake if waiting a while at traffic lights

On a slightly different note wanted to see if the car would throw up any warnings if left in R or D when switched off. It doesnt however it wont start at all unless the car is put into N or P, turn the key and it wont even turn over. I was a bit worried it might start and jerk forward but Skoda have that covered which is nice.

Well that is strange as mine will let me take the key out in N or P when stopped, I know other autos and DSG's have to be in park assumed that it was due to the dry clutch but maybe mine is wrong?