Have you got a boost surge after a re-map?

Guest westallc

should always run a remaped car on the best fule you can get

not true you should run the car on what the mapper has mapped the car for :thumbup:

Guest westallc

So could this be my problem?

you need to spk to ben he mapped your car and he will know whats best but im 99% sure running 95 will not make the car fall into the surge !!!

there is no point keep posting on here paul as the only thing you need to do is speak to ben its as easy as that he is your mapper and your first point of call

dont mean to sound rude but that is the only way you and the op will sort the problem !!!!!

Any news on if this problems been solved?

Was hoping to get mine mapped sometime in the next few weeks..

Mines also a standard engine, all valves, breather systems etc, on an 05 plate.

Guest westallc

dont let this put you off a map liam

you will always have some cars that have some issues thats just the way it goes

Any news on if this problems been solved?

Was hoping to get mine mapped sometime in the next few weeks..

Mines also a standard engine, all valves, breather systems etc, on an 05 plate.

Mines been fine mate :thumbup:

Ive met ben on a few occasions and he seems a down to earth guy and a few people ive spoken to on here said his maps are one of the best so thats not putting me off at all.

Im just curious and interested to see if its a small mechanical issue in regards to a select few cars, as i dont want to be having problems then having to remove this, trying that, fit this etc once its been mapped :)

Yeah you will struggle to find a bad review about ben at shark thats why i went for his map. I think iam just unlucky that i have this issue he has mapped a few vrs's on here who have had no problems. As i say i think i am just unlucky that the map hasn't taken to my car. But ben has assured me he is working on a fix.

I'd just like to add my 2p to this thread.

I have Shark's stage 1 map, and it's awesome! I do get the surging problem on WOT, but not much at all, and I don't mind it. In fact the car used to do it a TINY bit before the map.

However, I recently fitted a Forge tip, and it made the surging worse. My theory is that the turbo is spooling slightly ahead of the map request (when the map expects it to spool), so the ECU thinks that somethings wrong and cycles the wastegate to attempt to cure it, sending it into an overboost / underboost cycle, trying to follow the requested boost curve. Perhaps that's why fitting a forge tip made it worse, as the turbo spools a bit earlier.

That's my theory, what do you think? Plausible, or just complete bo***cks? :rofl: I'm no mapper BTW...

Oh, and if ben does find the problem, can I get the new map on sts? :thumbup: :thumbup:

Also, if this thread is putting people off bens maps, don't let it. Apart from this tiny niggle, bens maps are epic!!

Hi Paul I'm working a lot at the moment and won't be seeing Ben for some time yet. Although our problems are similar I would not pin all your hopes on mine being the exact same issue as yours. Ben will have to see your car in the flesh to make an assessment. There are still some other things I want to check on my car, its running a rebuilt engine and I want to double check a few more things before I take it back to Ben.

like Clive said it won't affect every car don't be put off. Ben has a good reputation. Can't Sharks map writer comment on these issues?

Mikko does come on here regularly but it's more down to me to look after the forum stuff :thumbup:

We're working on it right now and going through the process of elimination as to what it could be. We have two or three theories but of course need an affected car to test this on.

Not bad for 23:00 on a Friday night eh :)

The idea of this thread was to get some help with any other possible problems that could cause the surge.

This should not cast a negative shadow on Ben or shark. I am confidant it will be sorted. All the positive comments are bang on and I will be returning as a paying customer in the future.

At this stage the problem is still to be diagnosed so its not fair to blame the map outright.

Thanks Ollie.

I'd also like to point out that there are very few cars out there compared to the number we've done that are displaying this issue, and as always we are doing all we can to help the customers that require help :thumbup:

I agree entirely, that was the reason for the post with all the maps you guys do the likelyhood is its my car and not the map.

At this stage its the cars fault until your magic laptop tells me different!

Guest westallc

what are your thoughts so far ben????

ollieh for surge to occur on a stage 1 or stage 2 car it will 99% of the time be down to the way it is mapped its as simple as that!!

what ben will have to do is find out where in the sofware it went wrong on your car.

ben will sort it and see you right :thumbup:

what are your thoughts so far ben????

So far we have a couple of theories, one being that certainly 2 of the cars we have experienced this on have had trial maps from other tuners on in the past.

We also have found that the software versions affected have a problem with the IAT axis where it tops out earlier than it does in other versions of the software, which could cause the car to correct for a problem that's not even there.