Photography Thread

Tas

One of our countries finest, snapped at Wimbledon this year

UPDATE: I just remembered (for anyone interested in teleconverters), this was taken handheld with a x2 teleconverter at a true Focal length of 640mm!!!

8d58cd36.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures of the Red Arrows display in Peterhead 22/7/11, (35miles ish north of Aberdeen)

Pretty dull evening so apologies for quality, so dull the flash popped up a couple of times.

Peterhead prison can be seen on the bottom right corner.

IMGP2441.jpg

There are 4 Arrows in this shot.

IMGP2442.jpg

IMGP2511.jpg

IMGP2463.jpg

IMGP2420.jpg

Edited by John T

• 2 weeks later...

harve4544, What a Cardinal SIN, having a Cat and putting a Bell around its neck, even the collar is BAD news. The Bell alerts other animals to noise, good if your a Bird frustrating for the cat, and a collar could get caught whilst the cat is hunting and lead to the cat causing great harm or even death.

Maybe cat doesn't need to get close, those laser eyes are a killer on their own ;)

One of my favourite cat pics - friend's cat didn't like the shutter sound too much!

828209917_K5BLm-L.jpg

She did eventually get out of the bath, but was always startled. I guess the camera was too scary :S

977118594_2SKrM-L.jpg

• Like 1

harve4544, What a Cardinal SIN, having a Cat and putting a Bell around its neck, even the collar is BAD news. The Bell alerts other animals to noise, good if your a Bird frustrating for the cat, and a collar could get caught whilst the cat is hunting and lead to the cat causing great harm or even death.

Not to worry it's only his magnet for the cat flap, he's far too lazy to hunt anyway he just sits and waits for the chicks to fall from the nest on our roof :giggle:

Maybe cat doesn't need to get close, those laser eyes are a killer on their own ;)

One of my favourite cat pics - friend's cat didn't like the shutter sound too much!

828209917_K5BLm-L.jpg

She did eventually get out of the bath, but was always startled. I guess the camera was too scary :S

977118594_2SKrM-L.jpg

Excellent pet shots, the first s my favourite. You have captured the character f the cat and the composition is spot on. The bokeh in the second is great.

• Like 1

Thanks Graham! The first really is fun and her owner cracks up everytime she sees it.

Not too happy with the WB on the second, the white crest is a little too cold in my opinion but if I warm it up a little, the rest gets very warm. They were both taken with available light and the light from behind me in the second was massively bluer than the light in the background. I haven't got round to figuring out how to do selective masking WB...

edit, both taken with a 200mm f/2.0 in case anyone's wondering. Big lens, but gorgeous bokeh :)

Thanks Graham! The first really is fun and her owner cracks up everytime she sees it.

Not too happy with the WB on the second, the white crest is a little too cold in my opinion but if I warm it up a little, the rest gets very warm. They were both taken with available light and the light from behind me in the second was massively bluer than the light in the background. I haven't got round to figuring out how to do selective masking WB...

edit, both taken with a 200mm f/2.0 in case anyone's wondering. Big lens, but gorgeous bokeh :)

Nice lens, and ideal for this type of shot.

Viveza will allow you to easily selectively alter th colour hue etc in a selected area without trying to mask it. You can also use the brush tool in Lightroom with auto mask set to 'paint in' adjustments.

Trying to get some portrait stuff under my belt. This was a quickie in a break of doing some fashion stuff.

Becky3.jpg

Edited by Mort

A few (non-manipulated) pics from a four-day sea journey from Bergen (60° 23’ N, 5° 19’ E) to a conference in Tromsø in northern Norway (69° 40’ N, 18° 56’ E) where you find the world's northernmost university and the world's northernmost brewery (decent lager). My four day trip was abut half of the 'Brisky Route', Norwegian 'Hurtigruten', with daily departures all year. It's not (just) a tourist cruise but also serves the coastal towns in Norway with freight/passenger service. Had I stayed on board I would have passed the North Cape and ended up close to the Russian border north of Murmansk. Larger pics in Flickr gallery

leaving the port of Bergen:

6040474411_b598fa448e.jpg

mooring:

6041023922_a4002e084d.jpg

crossing the Arctic Circle (marked by the globe on the island to the left):

6040474479_ce197558c6.jpg

The flag is hoisted:

6040474587_391b56b4a2.jpg

In the Lofoten archpelago, sun deck by night:

6041023602_b796d7ab2d.jpg

The Troll Fjord (width 100 yds):

6041023744_d8fe4e58cf.jpg

Passing a bridge at midnight:

6040474695_e5476b99d0.jpg

Journey ended in Tromsø:

6040474751_27d3ffcb50.jpg

Here is one I took last week of a young girl leaping off the harbour wall at Craster. I don'think it is technically very good and the subject doesn't pop out at you, but I love the free abandonment of the girls expression and body language. I think, for me at least, that sometimes a picture I really like can be flawed technically in many areas, but still captures a 'moment'. Of course I could be talking cobblers :D

353de965.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore

It's not bad Amanda, you can certainly see her smiling and the feeling of freedom. :)

If I were to be super criticial, I'd say that it's a shame you're not zoomed out a bit so you could see the sea at the bottom of the frame. As it stands, it almost looks like a happy suicide - she's aiming to impale herself on that rod sticking out from the bottom left of the frame ;)

Some great shots there folks:)

A few from the Festival yesterday -

6065291366_9238daabbc_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_2088 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6064741565_47e6c73f3f_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_2025 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6064739353_0856292162_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1899 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6064734501_3909c60de4_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1819 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6065282156_84c3707764_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1809 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6065281744_5da48578b9_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1799 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6064735291_8b314b15b5_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1868 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6064732383_9207d8de63_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1661 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6064733057_68466405ac_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1742 by bosshogg, on Flickr

6065279584_ae0a728646_b.jpg

20110820-IMG_1651 by bosshogg, on Flickr

It's not bad Amanda, you can certainly see her smiling and the feeling of freedom. :)

If I were to be super criticial, I'd say that it's a shame you're not zoomed out a bit so you could see the sea at the bottom of the frame. As it stands, it almost looks like a happy suicide - she's aiming to impale herself on that rod sticking out from the bottom left of the frame ;)

I cropped it a tad as there was such a busy background with her jumping into a harbour occupied by brightly coloured boats. She sort of disappears into the scene a bit. I didn't plan the shot, I just happened to be in the Jolly Fisherman (great food btw) and saw the girls jumping from the pub. I rushed outside whilst my food went cold and grabbed a few quick shots. My mum thought I was mad, but then, she always did. :D I think I would loved to have taken a few shots from the boats below though or even from the wall opposite them. Perhaps next time :)

I might see if I can do something with the sharpness/clarity of the shots and see if I can give her a bit more punch.

I think, for me at least, that sometimes a picture I really like can be flawed technically in many areas, but still captures a 'moment'

I agree; this is one of my favourite photos I've ever taken. Technically it's awful (I was shooting the band on the (lit) stage but saw this in the corner of my eye) but I absolutely love it. No one else seems to see what I do in it. But, for me, being there - it sums up the whole gig and I love the way she seems totally taken out of the situation due to the camera.

(no idea who she is, and I've never met her, so it's not a 'pose' for me)

gig.jpg