Finally REALLY used the Off Road button

• 5 months later...

If there is one thing I learned from all my offroading pictures, it's how really nasty slopes look gentle when you get the camera out! :D

Looks like fun though. :thumbup:

Well as we have eventually found ourselves in the highlands I thought we would have a go at this track.

Boss, you are so right!

This one starts off gentle enough but soon ramps up to what's officially classified as bloody steep!!

It was raining and the track was quite slippery but, after a quick recce, thought I would have a go.

We managed to get up to the 3rd hairpin left where it gets really rocky and lost traction.

Sat there for a bit with wheels spinning and then the clutch started to slip so I had to give up.

GUTTED!

Had to reverse back down to the bend before and just had enough room to turn round to come down forwards.

I enjoyed it but the wife wasn't so sure!

Bearing in mind OE dunlops and the conditions I'm impressed we managed to get that far.

Even without the off road button it felt very secure coming back down.

Will have to come up again in good weather and try again.

This looks great, as I will be up in the highlands at the end of Oct I may go and sniff this track out.

Would anybody else be interested in using the off road button? I ask because there is a turn up and play off road centre near where I live. You can choose to avoid the most severe panel marking or wading parts of the quarry and there is still plenty of areas to drive around with up hill and down hill parts.

If you are interested look HERE and let me know, I can try and arrange it as a meet later in the year.

Looks like fun.

But I think you suburbanites miss the point. The Off Road button is designed to assist the car through difficult driving conditions - recovering from ditches when having to pull over on the narrow lanes, deep water and mud, and, of course, snow and ice. It gives better control in difficult conditions.

I use the Off Road button fairly regularly around where I live and it's a great bit of (electronic) kit.

Looks like fun.

But I think you suburbanites miss the point. The Off Road button is designed to assist the car through difficult driving conditions - recovering from ditches when having to pull over on the narrow lanes, deep water and mud, and, of course, snow and ice. It gives better control in difficult conditions.

I use the Off Road button fairly regularly around where I live and it's a great bit of (electronic) kit.

It does give good control at low speeds and am very impressed with it in very bad conditions. The hill descent thing is good too.But the first time you use the button you feel as though at least 70 of your 140 horses have bolted.

This looks great, as I will be up in the highlands at the end of Oct I may go and sniff this track out.

Would anybody else be interested in using the off road button? I ask because there is a turn up and play off road centre near where I live. You can choose to avoid the most severe panel marking or wading parts of the quarry and there is still plenty of areas to drive around with up hill and down hill parts.

If you are interested look HERE and let me know, I can try and arrange it as a meet later in the year.

It is a bit far but with enough advanced notice I'm totally up for this yes!

CFB: glad you found the track! Pity you could not make it all the way up! Drat. Next time then.

The certainly will be a next time.

Have had to content myself this time by doing a few forest tracks instead. They're more gentle but still great fun.

Promise I'll post pics when we get home.

Well on the trip around Loch Ness we saw this little track heading up in to the mountains above Roybridge without a gate or a "No Entry" sign. (If only we had these same Scottish Land Access laws down south!)

I just spotted this comment in Johann's OP: for people's information, the open access principles embodied in the Scottish Land Reform Act do not apply to vehicular access*. I mention this only so that people understand their legal position if they do fancy exploring tracks like this. If you are approached by the landowner or their representative and asked to return whence you came, it's probably best to do so (particularly in Perthshire).

Bear in mind that we don't even have RUPPs and and BOATs in Scotland; vehicular access away from the public road is pretty much in the gift of the landowner. There are a number of Munro-bagging routes which would be a lot harder work if it weren't for a compliant landowner allowing access along their estate tracks to get to a conveniently close/high start point.

Just so you understand my own position on this issue: I certainly plan to have a donder up the one that Johann found, next time I'm up in that neck of the woods with a bit of time to spare :)

* It's generally accepted - and I believe established in pre-exisiting case law somewhere - that bicycles are regarded as "an aid to pedestrianism" in this particular context, so you can exercise your right of responsible access if you're on a pushbike.

Edited by ejstubbs

Perhaps top of Snowdon next then :giggle:

:giggle:

I read an article in one of the papers on Saturday.

It stated the driver of the snowdon saga had appeared in court charged with dangerous driving.

More concerning is the fact that another man has also been remanded on bail for driving THE EXACT SAME CAR up Snowdon at the end of September!

It appears, from the report that this 2nd chap was successful and actually reached the summit.

He's still a bloody muppet though!

Probably could not afford the train fare.

He needs to visit an optician for his short sighted ness then.

It's gonna cost him much more than the train fare now!

And he's still a muppet.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I enjoyed the Vid. I'd love to do something like that but only have the 1.2 DSG Elegance. I go off-roading at Kirton Quarry with my mate in his "Disco", V8 4L with 2" lifts and suitable tyres but I'd love to see the Yeti simarlarly kitted out put up against the Disco. I'm pretty sure the Yeti would not disgrace itself.

Anyone go green laning or off-roading in a Yeti in Yorkshire?

Cheers

Well on the trip around Loch Ness we saw this little track heading up in to the mountains above Roybridge without a gate or a "No Entry" sign. (If only we had these same Scottish Land Access laws down south!) So drove up (and down). LOVELY!

This is the Google Streetview image of the start of the track:

roybridge.jpg

222202_10150577312960131_852445130_18419943_8121167_n.jpg

231012_10150577313060131_852445130_18419945_3117988_n.jpg

222184_10150577313190131_852445130_18419946_3349480_n.jpg

And here is a video of going down again:

It seems slow and well very level and flat but believe me it was not flat. And apologies for the iPhone dropping out of its cradle at 3:30!

It was the first time things were constantly steep enough so that the Off Road button constantly worked when we drove down again. And boy did it work! It really felt more stop-go, stop-go than what I imagine a real low ratio gear would have done but it got us up and down with the speed totally in my control. I do think the Land Rover way of controlling the speed via the speed control stalk makes more sense for small adjustments, but the Yeti's brake and throttle method worked fine too.

Yes ,but only out of necessity rather than choice. Never could see the appeal of flogging a 4x4 around a quarry.Must be the exception- every weekend up here I see the inevitable Discoveries and Defenders, pumped up suspension, daft tyres and snorkel exhaust. Often displaying a sticker reading 'One life, live it' . I do- and I dont waste it by driving some clunky old anachronism like a Defender. ...