VW to axe twincharge Engine?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it will be more economical than the twinair too lol. Disagree with the guy saying he thinks high output turbos are at the end. Look at fiat's new multiair 1.4 170 Bhp with just a turbo: low Co2 with stop start and a fantastic engine. Drove one at Allams when I tested the VRS. It pulls from really low revs and goes like stink: so future is bright there I think! That was in an Alfa Guilietta though: a £21k car :(

The whole low CO2 thing is ********, the engines get around the test to give those numbers.

A new way of testing is coming out which will essentially kill turbo cars :(

Also the car you test drove had that clever multiair head system, probably why it had lots of grunt low down.

Don't know how you can say that when every major manufacturer is investing in downsized turbocharged engines with BMW, GM, VAG , Ford and FIAT with above mrntioned twinait to name a few???

Oh well the day electric cars prevail will be the day i quit driving.

Has anybody out there noticed that the 1.2lt TSI 105PS engine is actually only an 8v engine???? Thats the advantages of direct injection tech'. One cam shaft, 8v, one tensioner, and one belt less than a 16v version!! This is the way to go.....imagine a 1.4lt 8v version.....keep the weight of the engine down and the fewer number of components to go wrong!! Sure the 1.4 TSI engine is nice....but there have been a few reports of the electro/magnetic clutch that engages the supercharger going wrong, and all that additional weight and all the heat soak, lots of pipework, lots of components, etc, etc, Why can't they just make a better engine....BMW have been getting 100bhp/1lt capacity nat asp (no turbos or superchargers) engines for a while, mind you making a highly balanced/tuned engine ain't cheap!!! B)

Even BMW are going down the smaller capacity turbo route though from the M cars with smaller V8 turbos replacing V10's, the 6 cylinder twin turbo six (335i) replacing the smaller V8's down to the 4 cylinder models with the 2.0litre turbo starting to replace the bigger 6 cylinder units.

Cheers

Lee

I heard slightly different - they were to put a 1.4 Turbo to replace the 1.4 Twincharger and a 1.6 Turbo to replace the 2.0 Turbo in the Golf GTI etc.

This is what the Skoda Assistance engineer said yesterday and the RAC guy today, he said as of next year the twin charge engine will be axed.

This is what the Skoda Assistance engineer said yesterday and the RAC guy today, he said as of next year the twin charge engine will be axed.

If they all get the Variable Geometry turbos then I'd expect 1.4TSi 160-180bhp, 1.6TSi 200-220bhp, 2.0TSi 240-300bhp.

We already know the 1.4 fitted with a big enough turbo will do 180bhp but because the big turbo is slow to spool up VAG fitted a supercharger to fill in the bottom end. With a Variable Geometry turbo fitted the supercharger wont be needed.

Cheers

Lee

Don't know what to think now. If the engine is dropped what happens to the vRS? If they do stick a new engine in it what becomes of the "old" vRSes?

Engines come and go, there will be enough twin charge units for the current Fabia run I expect. The Fabia is well past it's change out date and most estimates are for a new model on the new Polo chassis next year. May get a VRS with the new 1.6 TSi then.

The twin charge engine is used widely on VW models, Polo, Golf, Scirroco, Tiguan, Touran, Eos and Jetta as well as smaller Audi's so it's unlikely that any supply of parts or expertise will be effected by the twincharge units demise.

Cheers

Lee

New vRS won't be for at lest another 3 years?

They only bought this vRS out last summer lol

The Fabia is due a new model - ie Fabia III so I would expect this 2013 as per the papers/car mags etc then a vRS a year or more later?

The Fabia is due a new model - ie Fabia III so I would expect this 2013 as per the papers/car mags etc then a vRS a year or more later?

That's what I'm hoping for, for the current vRS to have a run of at least 3 or 4 years before being replaced. Depending on how it affects depreciation I'll be keeping mine for longer than 5 years

I think the 1.2 TSI engine is brilliant, it is very smooth etc.

However, that is only comparing with another 4 cylinder engine. When I heard that BMW replaced/are replacing their 6 cylinder with a 2 ltr turbo, I was stumpped, their 6 cylinder engines are great and their 4 cylinder engines are crap! Furthermore manufacturers like Merc and BMW have always assocaited numbers in their model as the engine size, 530i = 3.0, E350 = 3.5.

I just don't like the fact that manufacturers are sticking with their old designation, ie X1 28i should be a 2.8 engine, not a 2 ltr turbo, call it that if it has a 2.0 engine! I don't think X1 20tii sound any worse, given the previous 2002 tii model.

Likewise the C250 CGI is a 1.8 turbo, just call it C180 Turbo! Nothing wrong with small engines, why do manufacturers feel embarassed about small engines?

Edited by My_Yeti

I've had my current vRS for 3 years in August and it's 5 years old. Originally I was going to keep it for a little longer, do the "sensible" thing and buy a house then change to a Golf GTI or equivalent. That's what a few people told me to do (mainly women). But I got bored of my vRS, wanted something that handled better, went better, wasn't diesel and was more fun. Not earning enough to afford to run a house at the moment and a planned trip to Japan is on hold until next year for obvious reasons so it thought why not. It maybe in the wrong order but that doesn't matter too much. I should easily be able to keep it for 5 years+ and I'll be remapping and modifying the day the warranty runs out to keep it fresh :thumbup:

The only thing that's bugging me at the moment is people like Quentin Wilson badgering on about cars losing so much money at the moment and the used car market being really dire. Obviously all cars lose money, that's inescapable but since I really can't think of a viable alternative to what I want the vRS estate ticks all my boxes and to me makes sense.

Sure the 1.4 TSI engine is nice....but there have been a few reports of the electro/magnetic clutch that engages the supercharger going wrong, and all that additional weight and all the heat soak, lots of pipework, lots of components, etc, etc, B)

First I've heard of this

It's under warranty for 3 years so shouldn't be a problem especially for teething problems. Turbo and supercharger should cost about the same as they would anywhere else it's only the DSG mechatronic unit is a worry if it goes wrong outside of warranty. But with DSG being out for a good few years it should be fine.

You are joking right? The VRS is just a Fabia model. If the current model is replaced then so will the VRS. The 1.2TSi, 1.6tdi and DSG models are all recent additions to the Fabia line up, it's just how the VAG phasing goes. The Polo, Ibiza, and A1 are already on the new platform and the new Fabia can't be too far off, even whatcar and topgear mags say the current Fabia replacement is overdue.

The Focus RS also had a very short life as the new Focus is just out. Makes it more exclusive.

Cheers

Lee

:(

Be quite gutted if they change it next year! The MK1 Fabia vRS SE was still being made when the new MK2 first came out? Late 07 for both?

The new model will come out in 2013. I hope they will keep up with the trend of improving power on their existing engines in every new model. We had HTPs with 55 and 64hp, later 60 and 70. The 1.4 16v with 75, then 80 or 85, cant remember... Hope that the TSI will go to say 90 and 110 or something like that. When the new model comes out it will pass a few years until vRS, like this time, only after restyle in 2010. they added vRS.

First I've heard of this

VW Driver mag ran a section for a few months with a female technician from a big VW dealership giving an "insight" into the job.....one of the cars she was speaking about had to have this electro-magnetic clutch replaced....involved dismantling lots of stuff just to get to it.....I'll try to find the article!! B)

Skoda have always run their models longer than most of the other manufacturers due to the platform / technology share ( always been the youngest brother in the VAG family that gets the hand-me-downs), & 2013 has been muted since the MKII was released.

They also are allowed to show concept cars & never put anything out close to it ( Still waiting for Joyster that was shown at least 3 years ago, will only believe it when i see it ), IF this does appear then this model could possibly be the swan song for Skoda to get it.

Dont be surprised if you find the current engine remains in the vRS till the MKIII comes along, given Skodas history.

When the Monte Carlo was announced, my reaction was - Ah! Here is the Fabia run out a-la-SE previously ( but obviously it isnt).

Think its a case of wait & see.